How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    What does everyone think of the following scenario:

1) Sign Hunter Renfro
    2) Sign DJ Chark
    3) Draft Brock Bowers

Just throwing shit against the wall, as usual.
    Only if we trade back to get Bowers. If we stay at 5, I'd be okay with Renfro or Chalk and drafting MHJ or Nabers.

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Keenan gone. Mike gone. Also gone are Gerald Everett and Austin Ekeler. These four players were Herbert's most popular targets the past two seasons.

Under contract at WR are Josh Palmer, Quentin Johnston, Derius Davis and Simi Fehoko.

Under contract at TE are Will Dissly, Hayden Hurst, Donald Parham and Stone Smartt.

Under contract at RB are Gus Edwards, Isaiah Spiller, Elijah Dotson and Jaret Paterson.

I believe that Palmer is a solid depth WR. He is not a #1, I'm not sure he is #2 material. We don't know if QJ is going be better in 2024 or if he is a bust. We don't know what Derius Davis is capable of, if he is anything more than a good kick returner who can catch occasional bubble screens. I don't believe Fehoko will make the roster.

Dissly in six years with Seattle averaged 237 yds receiving and 2 TDs per season. Hurst slightly more than that in six seasons with Balt and Carolina. They are blockers. Parham may not even make the team, ditto Smartt.

Edwards does a lot of things well, but receiving is not one of them. In five seasons in Balt, he had 30 catches for 374 yards. He has never caught a TD pass in the NFL.

What are we going to do?

Well, I'm a big fan of what Green Bay has done, the receiving corps they have built for Jordan Love, who is a rising star after his first year as a starter.

The Packers have put together a dynamic quartet of young WRs for Love, four recent draft picks, two each in 2022/23. Love topped 4,000 yards passing and threw 31 TD passes in 2023, but none of his receivers topped 1,000 yards.

Love's top receiver was Jayden Reed, a 2023 2nd round pick who as a rookie had 793 receiving yards along with 8 TD catches. WR Romeo Doubs, a 2022 4th rounder, had 674 yds receiving and 8 TD catches in 2023. Dontayvion Wicks, a 2023 5th rounder, had 581 yds and 4 TDs. And Christian Watson, a 2022 2nd rounder, had 422 yds and 5 TDs.

The Packers drafted two TEs last year. Luke Musgrave in the 2nd and Tucker Kraft in the 3rd. Musgrave had 352 yds, 1 TD; Kraft 355 yds, 2 TDs.

I don't know if the Chargers can have this kind of success building a receiving corps through the draft. But I like the idea of it. One advantage of have a WR corps that is not dominated by one standout elite WR, is if that WR gets injured the passing offense doesn't take a bit hit.

I think Palmer can be a solid piece of a similar type of WR corps. QJ? I think the jury is still out, but I think there is a decent chance he will evolve into a solid WR. If so, that's two pieces. I don't know if DD can be the type of WR who can be a 30-40 catch guy for 500 yds and 5 TDs.

My feeling is the Chargers will have to draft two WR and a TE in April to build a solid corps of pass catchers around Herbert.

I'm a bit uneasy about have such a young corps or receivers without an established veteran. But the Packers got it done last season with two rookie WRs, two rookie TEs and two 2nd year WRs around a 1st year starter at QB.
      We don’t and it takes 2 plus years to get our receiving corp to a place it can compete in the pass first NFL. Harbaugh is playing football in 2014 not 2024. He is going to learn the hard way that this is a passing league and you need weapons to get it done. Mahomes has Kelce Herbert has… Palmer? Ffs

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
        What does everyone think of the following scenario:

1) Sign Hunter Renfro
        2) Sign DJ Chark
        3) Draft Brock Bowers

Just throwing shit against the wall, as usual.
        Bowers is a first round TE with no other weapons, he will be schemed out of games if he’s good and if not we’ll… see how can’t miss TE Pitts did without any weapons to support him.
        if he’s good it will take at least a few years for him to be impactful. He will be more like Dalton Kincaid production and Laporta.

the other two are laughable and the fact we’re even talking about them shows how desperately bad our offense is right now. Even the run it down your throat Titans with one of the best bruisers this game has ever seen needed more.

2014 football in 2024, can’t wait to see it!

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Bowers is a first round TE with no other weapons, he will be schemed out of games if he’s good and if not we’ll… see how can’t miss TE Pitts did without any weapons to support him.
          if he’s good it will take at least a few years for him to be impactful. He will be more like Dalton Kincaid production and Laporta.

the other two are laughable and the fact we’re even talking about them shows how desperately bad our offense is right now. Even the run it down your throat Titans with one of the best bruisers this game has ever seen needed more.

The weapon Pitts was lacking was a QB. He will be much better this season with Cousins after a 1000 yard rookie season with Ryan. And Bowers is better than Pitts

Last two years Pitts had Mariota and Ridder. They gave Ridder a quick hook and is already off the team. Mariota just stinks and will never be a starter again.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Bowers is better than Pitts
            is he ?? and by what metric/measure ??
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Pitts got 1000 yards as a rookie, only the 2nd TE in history to do that. But after that it wasnt about no weapons to support him, it was about shit QB Play and horrible play calling from Arthur Smith who for some reason doesnt like to use his best weapons. He curbed Bijan last year also by not using him properly.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

The weapon Pitts was lacking was a QB. He will be much better this season with Cousins after a 1000 yard rookie season with Ryan. And Bowers is better than Pitts

Last two years Pitts had Mariota and Ridder. They gave Ridder a quick hook and is already off the team. Mariota just stinks and will never be a starter again.
                Pitts will probably have a better season with Cousins, but I doubt Atlanta will ever justify selecting him fourth overall over Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, Patrick Surtain, Micah Parsons, and Rashawn Slater. That was a downright ridiculous pick ahead of five elite, All-Pro players who could all end up in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Pitts will probably have a better season with Cousins, but I doubt Atlanta will ever justify selecting him fourth overall over Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, Patrick Surtain, Micah Parsons, and Rashawn Slater. That was a downright ridiculous pick ahead of five elite, All-Pro players who could all end up in the Hall of Fame.
                  Probably not. Pitts isn't a prototypical TE. He isnt known as a blocker. He is really a big WR (6'5") but not a great route runner as a WR but he has real good speed, long catch radius.

I don't know how his hands are as I've seen limited games of his in the NFL. He doesn't have a great catch % for a position that gets shorter passes, but that could be because his QBs haven't been very good.

His best was again with Ryan and he had a 61% catch rate.

Bowers imo is a better overall TE with more versatility to do more things with him and a better blocker. If we draft Bowers I hope it is at 8, 10 or 11.

I can see OT being the pick as well, i just think Bowers is a great fit and a guy they have at the top of their board and why they signed Hurst to a 1 year deal.

I don't believe any other rookie TEs can start for us out of the gate and will take time.

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Pitts got 1000 yards as a rookie, only the 2nd TE in history to do that. But after that it wasnt about no weapons to support him, it was about shit QB Play and horrible play calling from Arthur Smith who for some reason doesnt like to use his best weapons. He curbed Bijan last year also by not using him properly.
                    He also had 1 Td. You will get no Arthur smith arguments from me but just understand we’re building that sort of run first offense on our team now. If you like that offense you’re about to see it.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Don't take it from me, you can read it here. I say it, it means nothing but here is another perspective. First I've seen of this site so I'm not familiar, maybe some of you are.
                      Click and scroll down for their points. #5 and #7 are good ones. They all are but this answers points that have been mentioned here.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-22-2024, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• LarryAW
                        Chargers fan since 1970
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Chula Vista, CA
                        • retired paralegal/court reporter
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        Only hope is to get a superstar in the draft. Otherwise trade Bosa for Aiyuk.
                        $18,111,666 dead money and $8M cap savings Post June 1st trade. Looks like he'll be here no matter what.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

This is a great receiver draft- and- we're in a great position to make choices with Jim Harbaugh who has scouted most of them in HS and college and has pick #5. I expect 2 or 3 from early, middle, late & UDFA. Maybe 4.

I favor one of MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers but won't freak out if not. Trust in Harbaugh. We will draft good - great WRs.

Comment

Working...
                          X