• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

We don't have the cap space to trade for anyone, do we? Thought I heard we had less than $2 million left, some of which will be needed for injury replacement players.

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      We don't have the cap space to trade for anyone, do we? Thought I heard we had less than $2 million left, some of which will be needed for injury replacement players.
      Don't know how accurate this is but according to Spotrac, you're right:

A real-time look at the 2023 salary cap totals for each NFL team, including estimated cap space.

Comment

• Rambler
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • No Cal
        • Civil Research Attorney
        • Send PM

Anyone else think that Rivers or others are trying to get Gates the TD record, at the expense of varied playcalling in the red zone? Gordon has been a beast, and we call no running plays, don't even line up with a running back on some downs down there, to give the defense any concern about having to stop the run? I know Gates has been a great player for us in the past, but I'd hope we're calling (or audibling to) the playcall most likely to succeed against the defense.

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

How does Rivers go blameless when he's given so much power at calling offensive plays?
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
            How does Rivers go blameless when he's given so much power at calling offensive plays?
            Legitimate question. I pose that he may be the one calling a majority of these plays.

Comment

• Maverick
              (Coryellian)
              • Jun 2013
              • Point Loma
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
              Legitimate question. I pose that he may be the one calling a majority of these plays.
              I obviously can't speak for the rest of the plays, but the SDUT quoted Rivers as saying he did NOT audible out of any of the 4 straight passing plays that were called at the goal line in the 4Q.

Comment

• vinabolt
                Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                • Feb 2015
                • Send PM

It depends. Is the play took a long time to came in? Is there communication problems? Whiz (and Norv) has history of thinking a long time to decide on a play. If the QB don't have enough time to think about should we change the play, what play to change to, communication etc. He'll just trusting the coach than risking the delay of game.

Bottom line is, if the play calls suck, people will point fingers to whoever calling the plays: the play caller, and rightfully so. It's as simple as that.

Whiz's #1 job is to call plays. Rivers' #1 job is to passes the ball.

Saying that doesn't mean that Rivers doesn't need to improve on audibling.

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                Last edited by vinabolt; 10-31-2016, 09:49 AM.
                Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Rivers said he didn't audible out of any runs plays at the GL so Whiz called pass plays. They never seem to have time since the plays come in so late. He barely had time to set pass protections that don't seem to matter with our OL.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-31-2016, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• vinabolt
                    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Send PM

If this is true then it's even more ridiculous blaming Rivers for Whiz's responsibility.

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Rivers said be didn't audible out of any runs plays at the GL so Whiz called pass plays. They never seem to have time since the plays come in so late. He barely had time to set pass protections that don't seem to matter with our OL.
                    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
                      If this is true then it's even more ridiculous blaming Rivers for Whiz's responsibility.
                      It's a fair question to ask, it's not ridiculous. It might explain why we see the Spanos draw play all the time (though it has been cut out as of late - can we credit Whiz/McCoy for that if we want to bash them for everything else?)

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

And if Gordon had fumbled or been thrown for a loss or stuffed you guys would criticize McCoy and Wisenhunt for being too conservative. They put the ball in the hands of their best player with the game on the line. I got no problem with that.

tG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                          Rivers said he didn't audible out of any runs plays at the GL so Whiz called pass plays. They never seem to have time since the plays come in so late. He barely had time to set pass protections that don't seem to matter with our OL.
                          Tough to audible a lot with that crowd noise.
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X