• Show
Clear All
  • thelightningwill
    Go Aztecs and Pads
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    I think he meant stadium.
    I had season tickets 20 years ago. Didn't seem like a shithole to me.
    But, then again, I'm not one of those fans who needs to see anything other than a football game.
    Don't care how big the scoreboard is or how nice the bathrooms are.

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
      But, then again, I'm not one of those fans who needs to see anything other than a football game.

Ever been to a game when it rained? At least I never really have to go and see Niagra Falls now.

Also the field level seats behind the benches don't allow you to see over the players. The railing that the city was forced to put in the aisles don't allow the vendors to knee down when serving (which pisses me off to no end). Being that I put some 23 years in the trades I look around at a lot of bandaid fixes (and wonder what would happen if we did get good shake out of the Rose Canyon fault or worse, the San Clemente Fault). It wasn't the shithole is is now 20 years ago but it was still a stadium built to be multi-use which means it really wasn't very good at being either a baseball or football stadium.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
        I've only been a season ticket holder 1 year (the first Flutie year), so I'm FAR from an expert on this. However, I tend to agree with you. When I think of "Jerry's Whorehouse" in Dallas, complete with go-go dancing, bimbo cheerleaders struttin' their stuff in front of thousands of drunk, horny guys, it just makes me gag. A monument to ostentatious-ness. The football field is 300 feet (or so) long; the whorehouse is wider than the Empire State Building is tall. The obtrusive scoreboard is a League joke. The "grass" looks like the too-shiny plastic that it is.

No thanks. I guess there's a happy medium - and such a design would probably be more appropriate for San Diego - but it makes me laugh when the guys here criticize the San Diego City Council (by no means a model of civic pride, to be sure) in part because they haven't OK'd a stadium built with the public's money.

Hell, the Spanos Family has been making a tidy profit fielding a mostly embarrassing product over the years; I say let THEM open their all-too-deep pockets and build a stadium if they REALLY want to stay here. If not, I say 'Adios'.

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

You can put all the lipstick you want on this pig but the Q is a DUMP.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
            You can put all the lipstick you want on this pig but the Q is a DUMP.
            I don't think anyone is arguing that it's not a dump. thelightingwill was saying he didn't care. I'm saying the Spanos Family should foot the bill for a new stadium. And then they can reap all the profits.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Those who are looking to secure a suite at MetLife Stadium for this season's Super Bowl will be looking at record prices.

Suites going for 1 mill to the SB. No problem.

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                I don't think anyone is arguing that it's not a dump. thelightingwill was saying he didn't care. I'm saying the Spanos Family should foot the bill for a new stadium. And then they can reap all the profits.
                Great, let them reap all the benefits that the city gets in room taxes, airport fees, rental car fees and sales taxes that they generate for the city every time people from out of town come in to watch their team play. Oh wait, that doesn't cover the amount of revenue they generate from the exposure this city gets for a big game during the winter in increased tourism. The point is that the city reaps benefits from having an NFL team as well as a stadium that can attract big events too. Why should they get a fucking free ride?

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                  Great, let them reap all the benefits that the city gets in room taxes, airport fees, rental car fees and sales taxes that they generate for the city every time people from out of town come in to watch their team play. Oh wait, that doesn't cover the amount of revenue they generate from the exposure this city gets for a big game during the winter in increased tourism. The point is that the city reaps benefits from having an NFL team as well as a stadium that can attract big events too. Why should they get a fucking free ride?
                  Very good points. In the end it needs to be an equal partnership IMO. Both sides need to contribute.

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                    Very good points. In the end it needs to be an equal partnership IMO. Both sides need to contribute.
                    I am not sure if it has to be equal but it has to be equitable. What really chaps my ass is that we just spent $400M on a fucking central library when we are cutting hours at local branches. First, why the hell do we need a huge central library in the first place given that we are now in the 21st century and everything is digital. Second, how much income is a grand central library going to bring to the community.

After the military tourism is the second leading industry in this city. I don't get shit from either so I don't have a dog in this fight. But I think a deal needs to be worked out because this city is too big not to have an NFL team. Hell, you won't find another city this big that doesn't have a BB or hockey team to go with their NFL and MLB franchises.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

Wow I didn't realize how much they spent on the library. Talk about a money sink.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I have never understood the whole library thing. Last time I stepped into a library was a couple of years ago to help my kid get a book for a book report - I would have been perfectly ok with just buying a book from a book store. Before that, the last time I stepped into a public library was 1981.

Comment

• TTK
                          EX-Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • America's Finest City
                          • Send PM

I didn't realize it until I read about it recently but there is a school built into the new library. Weird.

At least that came out of the $400 million. That must be one sweet ass school though.

Comment

Working...
                          X