• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
    That 3.3 is dead money to us if Rivers is cut after this season.
    Additional dead money. It adds about $1.67M dead money each year over the last 2 years of his contract.

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Buck View Post
      LOL, does anyone seriously think Rivers will be cut after this season?
      If he has another bad year it is quite possible. We save $13.8M against the cap next year if we get rid of him and $15.750 the following year. If he doesn't perform do you want to keep paying him like an elite QB?

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

You guys are starting to sound like Italian Government Revenue accountants. My question... is Rivers due salary if he is cut before the start of the 2014 or 2015? My understanding is salary is not due if he (or most other players) are cut for performance reasons. For 2013, he's getting paid early and taking a pro-rated reduced salary, spreading the cap hit for a signing bonus over the remaining years of contract, but reducing the cap hit for the team for this season...right?

For Rivers, it sounds like a good deal for him... he gets a few weeks to invest a previously expected pay check in advance, and also a good deal for the Chargers, who get a little bit of cap room to work with in case they need it.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          You guys are starting to sound like Italian Government Revenue accountants. My question... is Rivers due salary if he is cut before the start of the 2014 or 2015? My understanding is salary is not due if he (or most other players) are cut for performance reasons. For 2013, he's getting paid early and taking a pro-rated reduced salary, spreading the cap hit for a signing bonus over the remaining years of contract, but reducing the cap hit for the team for this season...right?

For Rivers, it sounds like a good deal for him... he gets a few weeks to invest a previously expected pay check in advance, and also a good deal for the Chargers, who get a little bit of cap room to work with in case they need it.
          correggere

But most players would exploit the situation. Rivers simply got the money 4 months earlier (although were not sure if he deferred or not) not a huge thing.

Comment

• Den60
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
            Den, still have that soap?
            Not following you.

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
              Someone would say that the club tried to do a deal that was neutral to Rivers, that would benefit the club (albeit in the short term only) and that Rivers used that to try to get an extension. It wouldn't go over well IMO.
              Who? Why would the club try to sabotage its face? Also, the Spanos family isn't exactly the most sympathetic around here. Rivers could claim he wants to restructure, but the team doesn't want to commit. I don't think it would be leaked or would matter if whispered, except to the meaningless really really diehards, like the powdrerblue family.

Comment

• sandiego17
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Not following you.
                For the eyes, when I agree.

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

He didn't have to do anything. He didn't sacrifice a single thing. He gets the same money, just quicker this year. I really don't see how he wins by using the team's cap issues this year to extort more money out of the club. I think he loses in public opinion (because it would get out) and with the club, who would not be happy in being extorted. Look at it this way. If your neighbor doesn't come over and rape your wife while you're at work do you say that he is a great guy because he doesn't do such things?
                  When you bring up rape, you know you're reaching. That's a ridiculously bad analogy. Look at it this way, if my career were a total of 10-15 years, I would do what I could to maximize my return. Don't necessarily agree that it would get out, but that's a hypothetical neither of us can prove. Better test, how many players do what rivers did without a penny more due to them? Cant think of many, can you? What he did was a good thing for the team. It's okay to acknowledge he's a good guy, not a rapist.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

He didn't have to do anything except deposit a bigger check this week. I guess he could have held out for gas money to drive to the bank.
                    Guess they never reimbursed him for the gas money he had to waste picking up Jackhole a few years back so he wasn't a no-show for the playoff game.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Can I sugjest a big giant yawn emotocon the size of Leafs face but it really yawns?
                      Cause id use it...
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I believe there have been players that have given back money in order to allow the team to go out and get someone(s) to make the team better I just can't remember whom. But the real point is being lost here; that Rivers didn't give anything up at all so there really is no reason to thank him for being a "team player."
                        Neither did those other guys. You are absolutely wrong about this. Remember that "team player" Drew Brees who reported late to camp because he turned down the Saints offer that would have made him the highest paid player in the NFL? He still wanted more. Not sure how that helped make the team better.
                        These players that renegotiate arent giving back money. They are still getting it, just a different way. Eli restructured his deal so they could keep Victor Cruz but he didnt give any back. He recieved it in bonuses...Just like Rivers. In fact, when Eli was due 10.75 million , he agreed to take 9 million of that upfront so they could sign Cruz. What a team player he is eh? Rothlisberger, same thing and the list goes on and on.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 09-07-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                          Who? Why would the club try to sabotage its face? Also, the Spanos family isn't exactly the most sympathetic around here. Rivers could claim he wants to restructure, but the team doesn't want to commit. I don't think it would be leaked or would matter if whispered, except to the meaningless really really diehards, like the powdrerblue family.
                          They wouldn't unless there was a reason to do so. Like I said, the deal is neutral for Rivers unless there is some benefit for him to defer money into next year. Why wouldn't he do the deal then? If he doesn't do this deal then he is being a selfish asshole and that would be reported after we cut someone like Clary to give us some cap room.

Comment

Working...
                          X