• Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
    For the eyes, when I agree.
    As long as it is intermittent then you are fine.

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
      When you bring up rape, you know you're reaching. That's a ridiculously bad analogy. Look at it this way, if my career were a total of 10-15 years, I would do what I could to maximize my return. Don't necessarily agree that it would get out, but that's a hypothetical neither of us can prove. Better test, how many players do what rivers did without a penny more due to them? Cant think of many, can you? What he did was a good thing for the team. It's okay to acknowledge he's a good guy, not a rapist.
      If I said "robbing" would it have made any difference. I did thing that through but decided no one would care about the details because it is easier to just react negatively to whatever I post. So I figured to post the way I did.

Your analogy is just fine as long as you don't consider that Rivers is due around $29M in the next couple of years from this team. Do you think pissing the team off has a positive or negative effect on the prospect for him seeing that money from them. Secondly, do you see another team stepping in and giving that money to him as it stands right now?

Actually, I am being conservative here. I should have pointed out that we could have saved another $10.8M this season by cutting him. That totals close to $40M that we could have decided not to give the guy.

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        Beerman, you are missing it. Rivers gets no more money, even if he is cut. The ONLY thing this move did was to spread out the $5 million he got up front as a signing bonus over a 3 year period against the cap. That comes out to $1.667 million per year for accounting purposes against the cap. He already got the money. That is how we got $3.3 million more in cap space this year, but take a $1.33 million cap hit each of the next two years.
        In thinking about it Rivers may have converted non-guaranteed money from this year's salary to guaranteed money as a signing bonus. Since Overthecap has updated I can't go back and look. So there may be a little truth to what Beerman is saying. However, the point is moot since we were not going to cut Rivers 4 days before the first game anyway.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          Yeah, right. He hasn't been extended by this team because even they have doubts. They need room, he has the biggest contract on the team and all they managed to do was concert salary to bonus so they could spread the hurt over the next three years rather than in this one. To me this is a big indicator that they know where to go to get cap room but it doesn't tell me this is a player they are convinced is worth keeping.
          Why is there a big need to do an extension when he has 3 years left on the contract? They got the cap relief they wanted. I think you are reading way more into this than is warranted.

Comment

• Den60
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
            Why is there a big need to do an extension when he has 3 years left on the contract? They got the cap relief they wanted. I think you are reading way more into this than is warranted.
            They just pushed their cap problem down the road, and we look to have issues next year unless we cut some prominent players). If you were sold on the guy why wouldn't you extend him so you can spread the bonus over a long time period.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
              They just pushed their cap problem down the road, and we look to have issues next year unless we cut some prominent players). If you were sold on the guy why wouldn't you extend him so you can spread the bonus over a long time period.
              Why didnt The Giants do the same with Eli? His 9 million bonus makes his cap figure even higher the next coming couple or few years. They got extensions in the same season.

Pretty sure there is much less to this than you make it out to be. Your hope obviously is to get rid of Rivers and i doubt they have even the slightest thought of doing so.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 09-09-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Why didnt The Giants do the same with Eli? His 9 million bonus makes his cap figure even higher the next coming couple or few years. They got extensions in the same season.

Pretty sure there is much less to this than you make it out to be. Your hope obviously is to get rid of Rivers and i doubt they have even the slightest thought of doing so.
                I don't really follow the Gnats.

I simply question the rationale of building this team around Rivers, and have said so going back to last season. First, he ain't a spring chicken. By the time the window opens again he is going to be in his mid 30s (and likely gone). Second, I am not sure if he is a franchise QB in the first place. He can put up some nice stats at times but he has never seemed to me to be a clutch player. His playoff performances have always been significantly worse than his seasonal stats.

Frankly, I wanted this team to build around the defense and said so. I am tired of rooting for a finesse team.

Comment

• Maverick
                  (Coryellian)
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Point Loma
                  • Send PM

So, if it's true that (like the SDUT reported) Butler will play through the season without a contract extension, then what was the purpose of Rivers' restructuring? Do you guys think we are looking to pick up some additional help, either via trade or free agency? Just seems like odd timing for the Rivers restructuring otherwise....

Comment

• Parcells
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Beerman needs to play some Madden franchise mode. It actually does a good job of showing how this works with the salary cap.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Depends on whoo you ask Mav. Den will tell ya its so they can release Rivers next year.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Maybe they restructured Rivers in order to re-sign Starks
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                        X