• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
    I was confused by this too...obviously, we're sitting on a timeout.

We can just wait until there are 2 seconds left and call it...then they don't get the ball back at all.

I do understand that it did give us a chance to run the ball a few times...but that was the position they were in.

It's not as if Philip has never fumbled a snap trying to set up a game winning field goal. (oh wait).
    Agreed but wait for it - soon you'll be asked for names and dates.

Comment

• Parcells
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
      Philip even had the fans booing him for draining the clock, even if it meant holding our position for like 10 seconds.

I didn't get why Dierdorf was so baffled at Chip Kelly calling those timeouts at the end of the game. Dierdorf acted like it was beyond comprehension, but he was clearly trying to preserve some time to give his offense a prayer after the FG.

Of course, it is Dierdorf.
      I had the same conversation with a friend, including what an idiot Dierdorf is. Only person in sports that is worse is Tim McCarver in baseball. Larry Merchant was awful, but he's retired.

Comment

• Parcells
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

To the original point of the thread, we're not perfect, but we're a lot better. Rivers has still had one or two of those times where he's running around like a six year-old on speed pre-snap and then has burn a timeout. We're still trying to figure out if McCoy is a good head coach, but by not being Norv he's a definite upgrade.

Comment

• Zot
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
          It's still only week 2. No teams have seen the chargers molasses no huddle either
          I like that...The Molasses No Huddle

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Zot View Post
            I like that...The Molasses No Huddle
            Doesn't the no huddle, it whatever form ("molasses" or "Kelly" versions) also prevent the defense from substituting? IOW, it was, in my eyes, exactly the plan to run the "molasses" version of the no huddle, to both eat the clock AND prevent substitutions.

And, before anyone asks (I'm surprised no one has already) yes, I watched the game. Most of it, anyway. My wife talked me into it.
            Last edited by QSmokey; 09-16-2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

No Huddle No Cry
              :rasta:
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                Doesn't the no huddle, it whatever form ("molasses" or "Kelly" versions) also prevent the defense from substituting? IOW, it was, in my eyes, exactly the plan to run the "molasses" version of the no huddle, to both eat the clock AND prevent substitutions.

And, before anyone asks (I'm surprised no one did already) yes, I watched the game. Most of it, anyway. My wife talked me into it.
                The rule is that if the Offense subs, then the Defense is allowed the same opportunity. So basically, if the O is fit, then they can go. You probably won't see a lot of long plays down field because of that, because WRs do need a little recovery time from a 40 yd wind sprint.

I guess you just left the room when Vick was on camera, but it wasn't all that long.

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  They only had 1 when the topic of this discussion takes place.
                  I don't know what you're talking about (topic of this discussion?). Well, I started the thread, and I am talking about the Chargers entire last possession. McCoy had two timeouts to spend on that drive if needed them. Norv woulda fucked it up. McCoy didn't. End of my point.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Yeah agree time management is something not seen round these parts for a decade or more.

Ball control, patience, exploiting the Eagles' defensive problems and limiting the run allowed the Chargers to come away with a 33-30 win. See PHOTOS and a VIDEO.

Alot more time management went into this gameplan than on the last drive...
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Screeme
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Even better if Novak misses, now you have 6seconds to run a 20 yard play to try to give your kicker a chance (leaving a second on the clock). If it doesn't work, it's OT anyway.

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
                        Even better if Novak misses, now you have 6seconds to run a 20 yard play to try to give your kicker a chance (leaving a second on the clock). If it doesn't work, it's OT anyway.
                        While true, he did give the Chargers the opportunity to get closer than a 49 yard attempt. They didn't get much closer, but they potentially could have. Why risk that? I think the risk/reward was against Kelly.

Comment

• sandiego17
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Eagles coach Chip Kelly: 'Maybe we should have bled the clock'

Comment

Working...
                          X