• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

At the start of OTA's, it is tough for rookies to win a starting job. They don't know the system and have never played vs NFL caliber guys. And like I said above, OTA's aren't typically competition. It's about teaching everyone the scheme.

At this point, I don't think it means anything. We teach them to O and have the vets holding onto the jobs going into TC. Then the rookies get a chance to win a starting job in TC, which is what TC is for.

Even if they don't win the starting job the first week, there is no reason that they can't take over once the season starts.

The only thing that looks odd right now is that the two obvious spots for Lamp and Feeney to fill in would be RG and RT, which would put both on the same side. Given that Burwell as played some LT for us, I am a little suprised they don't put Slausson at RG, Burwell at LG, and then let Feeny compete with Burwell (which I can't imagine being a day 1 starter) and Lamp vs Barksdale (which is think is a switch a couple weeks in with Lamp winning the job).

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Why Spencer Pulley (not Max Tuerk) is Chargers' starting center -- for now

9:16 AM PT

@eric_d_williams: I've gotten a handful of tweets over the last few months asking this question in some form or fashion: Why isn't Max Tuerk being given the opportunity to work with the starters at center?

Yes, when the Chargers selected Tuerk in the third round last year, general manager Tom Telesco indicated that he could be the team's center of the future.
      But Tuerk was coming off ACL knee surgery his final season at USC and still had to transition to the NFL game. The Chargers rolled the dice and signed veteran Matt Slauson to play center full-time, and he turned out to be the team's best offensive lineman last year.
      They also brought in an undrafted rookie out of Vanderbilt named Spencer Pulley last year, and he proved better than expected. So the answer to the question is what Pulley has done over the last 12 months is the reason he remains the center running with the first unit for now over Tuerk.
      When I asked Slauson about Pulley a few weeks ago, he gushed about the second-year pro's skill set.
      Pulley was active for all 16 games as a rookie, playing 115 snaps at right guard sharing time with D.J. Fluker, 48 snaps at left guard and 44 at center.
      "He's a really smart kid, wise beyond his years," Slauson said. "I thought last year the way he approached his job was way beyond what a rookie does. He's just committed to it.
      "The reality is he's a pro. And the way he attacks the day is like that of a fourth- or fifth-year guy. And his tools -- he's extremely quick and extremely strong -- he's one of the stronger guys in our room. So I have a lot of confidence in him."
      Like Slauson, quarterback Philip Rivers offered similar praise about Pulley. Rivers also knew Pulley before he arrived at Chargers Park because his younger brother Stephen Rivers played with Pulley at Vanderbilt.
      "I have a great comfort level with Spencer," Rivers said. "That's what he played in college his whole time there at Vandy. Slauson was great there last year, and Spencer played some there in that Cleveland game and a few other times, so I have a good feel with him.
      "So from a communication and snap standpoint, he played a lot last year at guard, so he's used to being in there with us. He was a guy we found out about early on at this point last year, we were like, 'Who is this Pulley guy?' I knew about him because my brother was with him at Vandy for a year. But it just wasn't too big for him right off the bat. He's had a heck of an offseason, so he's in there right now with the first group and we'll see how it goes."
      While Pulley appears ahead, Tuerk should still get an opportunity to compete. As detailed in this story, Tuerk's weight is not an issue. He's in the mid-290s and hopes to be around 300 pounds when training camp starts.
      As a third-round pick, Tuerk's scheduled to make about $670,000 this year -- none of which is guaranteed -- so compensation will not be part of Telesco's decision on whether he makes the roster.
      The key for Tuerk will be to perform at a high level when the pads come on during preseason games and in scrimmages.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

As a third-round pick, Tuerk's scheduled to make about $670,000 this year -- none of which is guaranteed -- so compensation will not be part of Telesco's decision on whether he makes the roster.
        Not good, you really don't want to hear any discussion at all about making the roster if you're a 3rd round pick coming off injury.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

'Who is this Pulley guy?' He's had a heck of an offseason, so he's in there right now with the first group and we'll see how it goes.
          Who says offseason doesn't count? Who says you're not being watched all year long? Pros perform as pros when the lights are off.
          Last edited by Formula 21; 05-28-2017, 02:30 PM.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Yeah i think if i were to project the OL right now it would probably be...

LT Okung
            LG Slausson
            C Pulley
            RG Lamp
            RT Barksdale

Shocking because i think Barksdale is terrible. And despite not wanting 2 Rookies next to each to other i wonder if Feeney RG/Lamp RT is a better look than Lamp RG/Barksale RT.

I hope Lamp gets a shot to compete in camp at RT. Feeney is such a good pass protecting RG and Lamp not only pass protects well but is a mauler in run blocking. That would be a pretty balanced OL. But its not easy spending time at 2 positions in camp. Its hard enough to learn the OG position in this scheme. We run a pretty complex zone. I like the idea that Lynn will be incorporating multiple fronts. As i think some of our OL may be better in power schemes than zone.

Its shocking to me that Barksdale keeps fooling the coaching staff. I still have visions of him looking dejected countless times after getting Rivers killed. And looking as unathletic as Franklin in the process. Mix in his interview video bombs after playing like shit and he just makes me sick to my stomach.
            Backups:
            Hairston,
            Feeney,
            Wiggins,
            Burwell. (or maybe last man out)

There's 9. And I don't think Barksdale is safe either.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Donavon Clark Looking to Bounce Back in Second Season

Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:52 PM PDT

By Hayley Elwood
              Team Reporter

@ChargersHElwood

A year ago, Donavon Clark
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post

Who says offseason doesn't count? Who says you're not being watched all year long? Pros perform as pros when the lights are off.
                It counts for what? He is getting his chance just as they all will. Running with the first team in shorts during OTAs doesnt mean anything. When TC starts and the pads go on, they play some preaseson games then you have something to talk about as far as who is playing where. Personally i dont care who starts. Depth is important too and $670,000 to me is cheap.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Backups:
                  Hairston,
                  Feeney,
                  Wiggins,

I dont think Wiggins is anything to bet on. If Lamp can be a backup OT this year i wouldnt be surprised to see Hairston get cut either. I wouldnt want Hairston starting if Barksdale gets released.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I don't think anyone thinks the offseason doesn't count. Just that at this point, they are just getting things aligned. If a player doesn't do well now, it's not the end of the world. Don't do well in TC, then the coaches have fewer options.

The thing to remember is that at this point the younger guys are just not in a position to challenge for a starting spot. Any older vet who has been around knows so much more about what is going on, that it would be prevent younger players from ever making a roster. So, OTA's and minicamps are about learning skills and the scheme. IT's not about competing. Sure, they set a roster, but that is just like seeding a race. Someone has to be put in a position, and get the first shot at things. BUt once they start to hit, it will become clear if Pulley and Clark can compete for a job.

THe last thing to remember is that player don't win roster spots and starting jobs just by themselves. Coaches have to look at the whole roster. If they decide Lamp is an OT, then it has all kinds of implications to Barksdale and Hairston. But if he stays at OG, then Clark and Tuerk are up to the front of the line, regardless of how well they play.

Speculating at this time is fun, but there have been plenty of times over the last decade or so, when a guy is amazing in OTA's and minicamp, then starts out TC strong then fades and disappears as the preseason goes on, and then is gone and never heard from again. Stuff just has to play itself out. Some guys (like Pulley) will respond to being rookies and learn fast, other vets will fade....... it's hard to tell who will do what.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Backups:
                      Hairston,
                      Feeney,
                      Wiggins,

Maybe they keep 10 instead of 9.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Why Spencer Pulley (not Max Tuerk) is Chargers' starting center -- for now

9:16 AM PT

@eric_d_williams: I've gotten a handful of tweets over the last few months asking this question in some form or fashion: Why isn't Max Tuerk being given the opportunity to work with the starters at center?

Yes, when the Chargers selected Tuerk in the third round last year, general manager Tom Telesco indicated that he could be the team's center of the future.
                        But Tuerk was coming off ACL knee surgery his final season at USC and still had to transition to the NFL game. The Chargers rolled the dice and signed veteran Matt Slauson to play center full-time, and he turned out to be the team's best offensive lineman last year.
                        They also brought in an undrafted rookie out of Vanderbilt named Spencer Pulley last year, and he proved better than expected. So the answer to the question is what Pulley has done over the last 12 months is the reason he remains the center running with the first unit for now over Tuerk.
                        When I asked Slauson about Pulley a few weeks ago, he gushed about the second-year pro's skill set.
                        Pulley was active for all 16 games as a rookie, playing 115 snaps at right guard sharing time with D.J. Fluker, 48 snaps at left guard and 44 at center.
                        "He's a really smart kid, wise beyond his years," Slauson said. "I thought last year the way he approached his job was way beyond what a rookie does. He's just committed to it.
                        "The reality is he's a pro. And the way he attacks the day is like that of a fourth- or fifth-year guy. And his tools -- he's extremely quick and extremely strong -- he's one of the stronger guys in our room. So I have a lot of confidence in him."
                        Like Slauson, quarterback Philip Rivers offered similar praise about Pulley. Rivers also knew Pulley before he arrived at Chargers Park because his younger brother Stephen Rivers played with Pulley at Vanderbilt.
                        "I have a great comfort level with Spencer," Rivers said. "That's what he played in college his whole time there at Vandy. Slauson was great there last year, and Spencer played some there in that Cleveland game and a few other times, so I have a good feel with him.
                        "So from a communication and snap standpoint, he played a lot last year at guard, so he's used to being in there with us. He was a guy we found out about early on at this point last year, we were like, 'Who is this Pulley guy?' I knew about him because my brother was with him at Vandy for a year. But it just wasn't too big for him right off the bat. He's had a heck of an offseason, so he's in there right now with the first group and we'll see how it goes."
                        While Pulley appears ahead, Tuerk should still get an opportunity to compete. As detailed in this story, Tuerk's weight is not an issue. He's in the mid-290s and hopes to be around 300 pounds when training camp starts.
                        The key for Tuerk will be to perform at a high level when the pads come on during preseason games and in scrimmages.

Is there any indication Telesco alone will make final roster decisions? I seem to remember in the past it was left to the HC to set the final 53 (and I thought NOrv was terrible at it), but with John Spanos having total control over all football ops and Lynn being a 1st time HC- it may be a collaboration of all 3 instead of just Telesco.
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

Is there any indication Telesco alone will make final roster decisions? I seem to remember in the past it was left to the HC to set the final 53 (and I thought NOrv was terrible at it), but with John Spanos having total control over all football ops and Lynn being a 1st time HC- it may be a collaboration of all 3 instead of just Telesco.
                          John Spanos shouldn't be making any personnel decisions. If he is, it's just another reason why this franchise hasn't won shit.

Comment

Working...
                          X