• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
    I agree, but that argument (d isn't playing well therefore...) was used to discount Freeney and any contribution he made. But that same argument doesn't seem to hold for Phillips by those same people. Pretty interesting, right?
    Freeney's contribution seemed to drop off his last 1+ games. From what I've seen of Phillips he's looked pretty good in Denver.

Not sure why it matters. I didn't want either guy playing for the Chargers.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Freeney didn't have a good game against Tennessee and got hurt vs. Dallas. He played reasonably well vs. Philly. Phillips had some pretty blah games as well, but he's not hurt so can pick it up. If teams abandon the run, Phillips can still rush a passer, he found himself a pretty good situation. No interest in him in SD. As far as why it matters, wasn't directed at you, I'm well aware you preferred a Keiser type.

Comment

• Yubaking
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
        Freeney's hurries are irrelevant because other teams are throwing all over the Chargers. Phillips sacks' are huge, because other teams are throwing all over the Broncos. Makes perfect sense.
        I am not really sure why you are not understanding that a sack guarantees a positive defensive result whereas a hurry does not. So, on the sacks made by Phillips, Phillips caused a positive result. On Freeney's hurries, the question is whether they made a positive team result happen. My point, very obviously, in raising how other QBs had been doing against us, was to show that Freeney's hurries were not likely accomplishing all that much. We don't have to do that in the case of Phillips' sacks because we know that they did accomplish a positive result for the defense. I never suggested that all of Freeney's hurries were irrelevant, just that most of them were probably irrelevant. And, yes, of course, it does make perfect sense.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

No, I don't understand. Can you please explain it to me? If you could, please incorporate Vaughn Martin, Atari Bigby and the numbers 9 and 31. Those work best. Thank you in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
            I am not really sure why you are not understanding that a sack guarantees a positive defensive result whereas a hurry does not. So, on the sacks made by Phillips, Phillips caused a positive result. On Freeney's hurries, the question is whether they made a positive team result happen. My point, very obviously, in raising how other QBs had been doing against us, was to show that Freeney's hurries were not likely accomplishing all that much. We don't have to do that in the case of Phillips' sacks because we know that they did accomplish a positive result for the defense. I never suggested that all of Freeney's hurries were irrelevant, just that most of them were probably irrelevant. And, yes, of course, it does make perfect sense.
            Any argument about Phillips is irrelevant and does not make sense. He's not a Charger, and we don't know how he would play with the players we have on defense as opposed to the players Denver has on defense. We also don't know what effect being on a new team did for his motivation.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Lay those stats over the game tape tie each stat to the play that created that stat. See the completion percentage vs Freeney only preasures. And im sure you will find ample plays Freeney got no preasure and the uposing QB completed a pass.
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                I am not really sure why you are not understanding that a sack guarantees a positive defensive result whereas a hurry does not. So, on the sacks made by Phillips, Phillips caused a positive result.
                Phillips was a locker room cancer in San Diego. Also, Denver gave up 48 points against a Dallas team that the Chargers pretty much roflstomped the week before.

I'm sure you'd have plenty to say if the results had been the other way (SD giving up 48 points and the Denver defense dominating the Cowboys). Care to comment?
                Last edited by KNSD; 10-08-2013, 10:12 PM.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                  Phillips was a locker room cancer in San Diego. Also, Denver gave up 48 points against a Dallas team that the Chargers pretty much roflstomped the week before.

I'm sure you'd have plenty to say if the results had been the other way (SD giving up 48 points and the Denver defense dominating the Cowboys). Care to comment?
                  I am comparing players, not defenses. I brought up our anemic passing defense in terms of completion percentage against to point out that the then 43.8% QB pressure we were getting didn't mean a whole lot as QBs were completing almost 70% of their passes against us.

Again, you don't have to look at whether a sack produced a positive result because a sack is defined in such a way that we know it produced an immediate positive result for the defensive player's team.

Since I didn't have each and every Freeney pressure in front of me and have no desire to investigate it with regard to a player that may not even play for us next year, I couldn't discuss his pressures on a case by case basis. What I can do is to say that it is unlikely that many of his pressures were effective because of the mix of pressures versus yielded completions with the knowledge that some passes on which there were pressures and not pressures would have been incomplete anyway.

As a general thought, my rough guestimate would be that a QB pressure has the value of about 20-25% of a sack. I think that is capable of being demonstrated from a mathematical standpoint, but I really am not interested enough in it at this point to do it.

And Phillips was a locker room cancer according to you. I have no evidence of that whatsoever.

Comment

• Yubaking
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                    Any argument about Phillips is irrelevant and does not make sense. He's not a Charger, and we don't know how he would play with the players we have on defense as opposed to the players Denver has on defense. We also don't know what effect being on a new team did for his motivation.
                    I agree and disagree. I think his exact stats could well be different or similar if he had remained as a Charger. I acknowledge that possibility, but do not acknowledge that that possibility is a probability. What I think we do know is that Phillips is in no way finished as a player. His play this year proves that he is still capable of getting sacks. Denver's version of Phillips looks remarkably similar to our version of Phillips. He's a guy that can disappear at times, but he is a guy that is also capable of making big plays at other times. I think that's why he finished last year ranked #21 in sacks. He is a playmaker, but an inconsistent one.

Now, we lack defensive playmakers almost altogether (the word "almost" is out of respect for Weddle), whether consistent or inconsistent.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                      I agree and disagree. I think his exact stats could well be different or similar if he had remained as a Charger. I acknowledge that possibility, but do not acknowledge that that possibility is a probability. What I think we do know is that Phillips is in no way finished as a player. His play this year proves that he is still capable of getting sacks. Denver's version of Phillips looks remarkably similar to our version of Phillips. He's a guy that can disappear at times, but he is a guy that is also capable of making big plays at other times. I think that's why he finished last year ranked #21 in sacks. He is a playmaker, but an inconsistent one.

Now, we lack defensive playmakers almost altogether (the word "almost" is out of respect for Weddle), whether consistent or inconsistent.
                      I think we'd be 2-3 even with the much vaunted Phillips on our team. But I'm sure we'd be 5-0 if we had ATARI BIGBY.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

95 wasn't brought back for a reason and I doubt it's because TT is an idiot.

Teams weren't exactly banging on Phillips's door while he sat on the couch for months. Maybe, just maybe, the professionals know more than some joe schmoe's on a message board?

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                          Maybe, just maybe, the professionals know more than some joe schmoe's on a message board?
                          Yeah right. You don't actually believe that do you?
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X