• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheels
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • San Diego
    • Send PM

Why was it a must to get the measurement? Was it to get a breather? I don't think it was difficult to tell how close they were to a first down, so I'm trying to figure out the criticism here.

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
      Why was it a must to get the measurement? Was it to get a breather? I don't think it was difficult to tell how close they were to a first down, so I'm trying to figure out the criticism here.
      I believe the Chargers called a timeout. If instead they ask for a measurement, they get an official timeout instead.

Also, the play was close. A measurement tells you whether (1) he made the first, (2) he was inches short, or (3) he was closer to a yard short. If 1 or 2, you take the penalty; if 3 you at least have to think about declining.
      Adipose

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Even if it was 4th and 1, you take the penalty based on the field position. I think the majority of head coaches would have done the same. The percentage of converting a 4th and 1 is higher than a 3rd and 14. You play the percentages.

According to this chart, teams convert 4th and 1 about 75% of the time outside of the 20 yard line:

The is the third part of a four-part article on 4th down decisions. In the first part , I reviewed the concept of Expected Points and the co...

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
          Thought it was the wrong call at the time, I was like WTF?

I would go with our run defense over our pass defense at this point in time (not that it was much better). I also think Oakland would have punted it rather than risk it, with the poor footing on the field. Also, with a 4th and 1, Weedle and Addae come up into the box and their speed gives me pause if I'm Oakland.

Anybody else miss Tim Dobbins and Brandon Siler on those short yardage/goal line 4th and 1's ...
          Yeah, Siler was coming on until he signed with KC and dropped off the face of the earth.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

any answer the private gives will be wrong and the sergeant will strike him harder if he changes his answer.

Comment

Working...
            X