• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
    They should be able to create at least $10 million in cap room with a number of cuts I listed above. And more if they choose to extend/restructure any contracts (Rivers, Weddle, Clary).
    The problem is that you will need to cut players who are counted on this year and that don't really have anyone ready to take over (save Freeney). Cutting Hardwick, Clary, Freeney and Royal would gross about $16.4M. . Subtract the $3M you are currently over and that leaves you about $13.5M to sign FAs to replace those we lose. That ain't a lot of dough when you figure we will pay about half that amount to our big FA signing this year in Derek Cox.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

This is probably the best place to put this new metric from Sportrac. (Beware PFF haters, they partnered up for this ranking system).

NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS contract breakdowns, yearly salaries, team salary caps and more.

Clary and Rinehart are currently the only offensive players not living up to their contracts per this metric. I knew Hardwick had been playing well, but he's really outperforming his contract (surprising considering it's size).

I suspect the defensive list will be a blood bath whenever they release it.

If you notice how much the RB position has been devalued based it being the lowest average paid position. Such a difference a few years make.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
        The problem is that you will need to cut players who are counted on this year and that don't really have anyone ready to take over (save Freeney). Cutting Hardwick, Clary, Freeney and Royal would gross about $16.4M. . Subtract the $3M you are currently over and that leaves you about $13.5M to sign FAs to replace those we lose. That ain't a lot of dough when you figure we will pay about half that amount to our big FA signing this year in Derek Cox.
        I didn't have Hardwick on that list, nor Clary because those are guys that you'll probably need next year. Clary could be a cap casualty but I think it's also possible he'll be given a new deal which provides some cap relief next year. If Rinehart comes back healthy and plays like he was playing, I think there's a pretty good chance he can be resigned. With Troutman and Rinehart, the team does have options if they decide to cut Clary.

Cutting most of the guys on that list really doesn't create new holes.

- Freeney is keeping Ingram's roster spot warm. And chances are they're going to draft an OLB high next year anyway.
        - McClain is hardly used and cheaper options are out there (I wonder why he's even on the team this year).
        - Mathews is done. The writing is on the wall for him and I think they'll either draft or bring in his replacement.
        - Losing English, Phillips, Gilchrist, Muton and Patrick doesn't really hurt the team significantly since they are or all should be backups or just dead weight.
        - Royal is the tricky one. He seems revitalized and I think McCoy likes him but his salary just doesn't fit.

Comment

Working...
        X