Based off of one draft year?

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
      Based off of one draft year?
      Look what TT did in Indy after Peyton Manning, that 2012 draft of course got Luck, Cory Fleener, T Y Hilton all starters and contributor. I don't think our 2013 draft was too bad either.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

San Diego Chargers Potential 2014 NFL Draft Targets

October 22, 2013 07:11 PM EDT

Another team that could really go either way down the stretch, the San Diego Chargers are a good team but a flawed one. Could the 2014 NFL draft rub out those flaws and make them serious contenders?

Mike Evans - WR - Texas A&M

Philip Rivers has seemingly returned to form under Mike McCoy, which lessen the need for San Diego to draft a quarterback though they may want to take one in a deep 2014 class. Early on, however, they have to think about reinforcing a banged up wide receiver group. Keenan Allen has developed nicely for the Bolts, but if there is one thing Rivers loves, it's big targets. Mike Evans of Texas A&M is exactly that. By far the favorite option for Johnny Manziel, the 6'5" beast has developed a solid all-around game that features a physical approach in which he's able to outleap or fight defenders for the football. On top of that, he has enough athleticism to gain separation against tight coverage, which is why he's been so dominant this season.

Loucheiz Purifoy - CB - Florida

One thing demanded in a 3-4 defense is a cornerback who can cover man-to-man on the outside, thereby allowing for more aggressive pressure packages. San Diego has a serious problem in this area. Their pass defense ranks 26th. On top of that, only one of their corners has an interception, and that's free agent addition Derek Cox. They need better talent on the back end. Loucheiz Purifoy from Florida is all that. Not only is he athletically gifted with great speed, he's also 6'1" which is ideal corner size. His coverage skills are still raw but have shown a lot of improvement in 2013. Staying with a receiver isn't the problem, it's merely tracking the ball. Scouts feel once he's mastered that, he will be nearly impossible to throw at.

Cyrus Kouandjio - OT - Alabama

If arming Rivers isn't an option, protecting him has to be. The San Diego Chargers have had problems at left tackle ever since Marcus McNeal retired. They've made due with King Dunlap in that spot this season but after two concussions and erratic play, he's not the best long-term answer. Luckily, the 2014 NFL draft has some very capable replacements coming up. Among them is Cyrus Kouandjio from Alabama. Like Purifoy, he is not completely polished in his technique, but his physical attributes are hard to ignore. He's got the big body and long arms coupled with the strength and athleticism to both ward off pass rushers and pave the way in the run game. He's only 20 years old, so his ceiling isn't even in sight yet, which is scary.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

I'd rather not go the CB route with a high pick. I do think we need to draft a few late round corners though. Stock up with some young talent, see if any stick.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

I'd be happy with any of those 3 guys.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• SFW
              PB Official Game Thread Starter
              • Jul 2013
              • NY
              • USMC
              • Send PM

If the Chargers pick is in the mid teens or close to that and they decided to go secondary......I would much rather them draft the best SS in the draft than end up with the 3rd or 4th CB taken. I think the secondary would be a more instant improvement with a big upgrade at SS than a developing CB (CB's take more time to develop than safeties).

They could then move Glichrist back to the slot and still have Williams coming back from injury to go with Wright and Cox as the four corners.
              1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
              2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
              3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
              4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
              5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
              6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
              7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
                If the Chargers pick is in the mid teens or close to that and they decided to go secondary......I would much rather them draft the best SS in the draft than end up with the 3rd or 4th CB taken. I think the secondary would be a more instant improvement with a big upgrade at SS than a developing CB (CB's take more time to develop than safeties).

They could then move Glichrist back to the slot and still have Williams coming back from injury to go with Wright and Cox as the four corners.
                IMO! The top corner and top SS will likely be on the board in the kid teens this draft.

Comment

Working...
                X