Football is over for this season for the Chargers. NFL wanted Redskins to win.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheels
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    There was also the "phantom" holding call on Washington and we did get the call on the possible fumble by Woodhead (it was close and to me it looked as if the ball was coming out before his knee hit). The hit by Gachkar may or may not get called but the league is protecting WRs and I see plays like that get called week in and week out where I ask what the hell do they expect the defender to do, fall on the ground to avoid contact? I'm sure Washington fans are saying they got screwed on the Woodhead call and the "phantom" holding call.
    Yeah, I know we got some calls too that probably balanced it out. Doesn't make the job the refs did any better. The offensive PI one was just strange, that is the one I'm curious about. What did he see, or what did he think he saw? The Gachkar one was pretty low, though, so I'm not sure what they want these guys to do. It seems more predicated on the timing than the location of the blow.

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
      Yeah, I know we got some calls too that probably balanced it out. Doesn't make the job the refs did any better. The offensive PI one was just strange, that is the one I'm curious about. What did he see, or what did he think he saw? The Gachkar one was pretty low, though, so I'm not sure what they want these guys to do. It seems more predicated on the timing than the location of the blow.
      Yea, it generally takes a lot for a ref to call offensive pass interference. Allen didn't even do a little bit.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

The title of this thread is ridiculous
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          Reread that and get back to me. As I said, the refs didn't SAY either.
          I'm not sure what one of us is missing. I'm not going to go back through the broadcast to try to find the moment in question, but did the referee not use the word "stands" instead of the word "confirmed"? I believe so, and that is all the information one needs. There is no need to say, "We thought x, y, or z, but the evidence was inconclusive." When a ref says the play "stands" it is shorthand for "insufficient evidence to confirm or reverse the call on the field."

Or are you referring to not explaining before the review why they ruled Woodhead down and the play dead? Whether because of a knee or a helmet, either would be down by contact, so I'm not sure what you're looking for. Clearly the ruling on the field was that Woodhead was down by contact, and clearly the refs felt there was insufficient evidence to overturn that.
          Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
            this thread is ridiculous
            Fixed it.
            sigpic

Comment

• Zot
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

No, this thread isn't "ridiculous." It is simply derived from frustration. I can see why it was started. I am 53 and have been waiting to win a Superbowl for roughly 45 years, too. We had a great opportunity under Marty, but inexplicably our ownership decided to remove him and replace him with a NOrv. We knew this was a bad decision but were forced to accept it. That decision took us from one of the absolute best teams in the league to mediocrity.

Brings to mind thoughts of collusion between teams and directives from the NFL to make specific teams more marketable. (Remember New Orleans sucked then after the flooding suddenly find a way to WIN the Superbowl)

Not saying it's true, but I can certainly understand the position.

Later

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

Refs really did a poor job but it pretty much evened out. Allen followed it up to lead to a score. No fumble or TD by Woodhead. Didnt like the refs but it went both ways.

I actually agree with Den60 on the D. We will not make it far until we invest in the D. Injuries have not helped us for sure...if we had Ingram and Freeney we could be a different D....but its all on paper fellas. I expect D will be a focus this draft and FA.

BA....i sympathize with your health and longevity of backing the Chargers. But reality is did you REALLY expect a winning season with a new coaching staff, new Defense (60% of it at least) and our mediocre depth? Sure there is ALWAYS a chance but the odds are just not in our favor. I WANT to be in the playoffs too but we likely would get creamed with our defense....we cant stop a good passing attack without a pass rush...it shows. So hang in there BA...this is NOT the Ryan Leaf days here....1-15 seasons we are NOT. We are middle of the pack and we can compete in every game.....may not win them all but we are in every game unless we lay an egg like the Raiders game.

RTPbolt

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Zot View Post
                  No, this thread isn't "ridiculous." It is simply derived from frustration. I can see why it was started. I am 53 and have been waiting to win a Superbowl for roughly 45 years, too. We had a great opportunity under Marty, but inexplicably our ownership decided to remove him and replace him with a NOrv. We knew this was a bad decision but were forced to accept it. That decision took us from one of the absolute best teams in the league to mediocrity.

Brings to mind thoughts of collusion between teams and directives from the NFL to make specific teams more marketable. (Remember New Orleans sucked then after the flooding suddenly find a way to WIN the Superbowl)

Not saying it's true, but I can certainly understand the position.

Later
                  No, this thread is ridiculous. Football is entertainment and this team is fun for me to watch. The Chargers most likely win yesterday with decent playcalling. Football is definitely not over. There are 8 more games at least for the Chargers.

And Marty deserved to be fired.
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Opera singer and web developer.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    And Marty deserved to be fired.
                    No. Marlon McCree deserved to be cut on the spot. And Marty deserved a personal and public apology from McCree.

My blood pressure is rising just thinking about it. All he had to do is take a knee and the Chargers are Super Bowl bound with a favourable matchup to look forward to. This is the worst play to date in the long history of horrible, heart-breaking Chargers plays.
                    Adipose

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I still think on some of those replays that Woodhead did graze the pylong with the tip of the ball BEFORE his knee did.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post

My blood pressure is rising just thinking about it. All he had to do is take a knee and the Chargers are Super Bowl bound with a favourable matchup to look forward to. This is the worst play to date in the long history of horrible, heart-breaking Chargers plays.
                        Not so fast - it would probably would have sealed a win in that game, but we would have faced a pretty hot Indy team next week AND from what I remember Rivers had injured his foot/heel and likely would not have played the following week. Granted we would have still had MVP-form LT, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it a favorable matchup in the least.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                          No. Marlon McCree deserved to be cut on the spot. And Marty deserved a personal and public apology from McCree.

And Marty still deserved to be fired and it had nothing to do with how the Chargers season ended.
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X