Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
    i didn't think Cason was that bad considering the lack of pass rush during his years here, just inconsistent but solid enough number 2 guy. we're essentially paying Cox premium corner money for the same or worse production of either Cason and Jammer.

it also doesn't help that people have high expectations for that uber rare shutdown corner....i mean as maddening as Cromartie's play and character is/was, he's still considered one of the top corners in the league so that should tell you there aren't really that many top corners....
    Cromartie always had the athleticism to be a special corner. I haven't paid too much attention since we rid ourselves of him, but maybe he finally pulled his head out of his ass?
    Adipose

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

Cromartie still has the same tendencies....flashes ability but makes bonehead mistakes and continues to not control himself off the field....up to what...11 kids or so? He must love children.

I'm glad we got rid of him frankly. I'd rather not have complete idiots on my team. That said we just cant seem to hit on a CB that stays healthy or lives up to expectations. Jammer still in my mind was a model for consistency even if he started to lose a step...he still was very dependable.

RTPbolt

Comment

• RTPbolt
        Charger Fan till the end
        • Jun 2013
        • North Carolina
        • Send PM

I agree our biggest issue is getting pressure on the QB. Without that threat we will always struggle on defense. We are decent at run stopping but QBs pick us apart without pressure.

To me Ingram is still a big unknown....frankly we havent seen what he can do. Is he really a good pass rusher at the NFL level? If he does come on then he and Freeney could be at a good level, however we need to draft for another 2 IMO that are pass rush focused to really have depth at LB. We still need a dominating NT to make this defense humm....and another DE to really substitute in to keep Reyes/Legit fresh.

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
          Cromartie still has the same tendencies....flashes ability but makes bonehead mistakes and continues to not control himself off the field....up to what...11 kids or so? He must love children.

I'm glad we got rid of him frankly. I'd rather not have complete idiots on my team. That said we just cant seem to hit on a CB that stays healthy or lives up to expectations. Jammer still in my mind was a model for consistency even if he started to lose a step...he still was very dependable.

RTPbolt
          Agreed. Jammer was the best CB this team has had since Byrd. I always was a big fan of his.
          Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
            Agreed. Jammer was the best CB this team has had since Byrd. I always was a big fan of his.
            Same here. Classy guy...who had personal problems of his own. But he never bellyached, went public, did something stupid, or let it become a distraction to the team at all.

And I agree what Benassi said about Cox. He's an expensive Cason.

Comment

• OhioBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Our draft history on cornerbacks doesn't grade out well from 2002 to present four were drafted in the first round. Jammer got a lot of grief early in his career because he was 5th overall pick and didn't really develop till like his 3rd year and he never had more than 4 INT in a season. Cromartie has the physical make up and skill, but his attitude was piss poor, and he would have mental lapse and still has his moments with the Jets. Steve Williams 2013 pick we can't judge him do to being IRed, but his physical make up(5'10" 185lbs.), he may be a good nickel back. The last small corner that was really good was the the Redskins Darrell Green, but that dude was quick and had great vertical speed and good hips to turn.

2002 1st (5) Quentin Jammer Texas
              2003 1st (30) Sammy Davis Texas A&M
              2003 2nd (46) Drayton Florence Tuskegee
              2006 1st (19) Antonio Cromartie Florida State
              2007 4th (28) *Paul Oliver Georgia (Supplemental Draft)
              2008 1st (27th) Antoine Cason Arizona
              2008 6th (192) DeJuan Tribble Boston College
              2009 5th (148) Brandon Hughes Oregon State
              2011 2nd (50) Marcus Gilchrist Clemson
              2011 3rd (89) Shareece Wright USC
              2013 5th (145) Steve Williams CAL

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                Agreed. Jammer was the best CB this team ha
                s had since Byrd. I always was a big fan of his.
                Harper was better than Jammer.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                  Our draft history on cornerbacks doesn't grade out well from 2002 to present four were drafted in the first round. Jammer got a lot of grief early in his career because he was 5th overall pick and didn't really develop till like his 3rd year and he never had more than 4 INT in a season. Cromartie has the physical make up and skill, but his attitude was piss poor, and he would have mental lapse and still has his moments with the Jets. Steve Williams 2013 pick we can't judge him do to being IRed, but his physical make up(5'10" 185lbs.), he may be a good nickel back. The last small corner that was really good was the the Redskins Darrell Green, but that dude was quick and had great vertical speed and good hips to turn.

2002 1st (5) Quentin Jammer Texas
                  2003 1st (30) Sammy Davis Texas A&M
                  2003 2nd (46) Drayton Florence Tuskegee
                  2006 1st (19) Antonio Cromartie Florida State
                  2007 4th (28) *Paul Oliver Georgia (Supplemental Draft)
                  2008 1st (27th) Antoine Cason Arizona
                  2008 6th (192) DeJuan Tribble Boston College
                  2009 5th (148) Brandon Hughes Oregon State
                  2011 2nd (50) Marcus Gilchrist Clemson
                  2011 3rd (89) Shareece Wright USC
                  2013 5th (145) Steve Williams CAL
                  Darryl Green was an all pro. There have been some small corners that were good. Fred Smoot was good but he was only 175 LBS. Charles Tillman isnt getting any love in this thread but he has been pretty consistant for a while now though he isnt small. I like Brandon Flowers as well. Asante Samual has been pretty damn good and is only 185 LBs, Antione Winfield was good for years and only 5'9", 180. Just to name a few.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Darryl Green was an all pro. There have been some small corners that were good. Fred Smoot was good but he was only 175 LBS. Charles Tillman isnt getting any love in this thread but he has been pretty consistant for a while now though he isnt small. I like Brandon Flowers as well. Asante Samual has been pretty damn good and is only 185 LBs, Antione Winfield was good for years and only 5'9", 180. Just to name a few.
                    I forgot some of the other backs I just remember Darryl Green because he played corner all his career and I think he was like 38 and still ran a 4.4 and was able to cover.

Back then you had a few tall fast recievers, today dam near all the recievers are at least 6ft or taller, are physical and can run. There are only a few small recievers and
                    Wes Welker is the only one that has put up big numbers, there are other small recievers but they aren't putting up Wes Welker numbers.

Of the current small corners Brandon Flower and Charles Tilman are good ones that I forgot to mention. I know there are alot of other corners under 6ft, but who currently playing would you would say is a quality corner? DeAngelo Hall is okay but for as much big plays he makes he gives up a lot too.

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                      Harper was better than Jammer.
                      I liked Harper. A lot. But I respectfully disagree.
                      Adipose

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Another great showing by Cox today. For all the nice moves TT made....this one was easily his worst.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• OhioBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                          Another great showing by Cox today. For all the nice moves TT made....this one was easily his worst.

That isn't even debatable he has flat out sucked!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X