• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    Perhaps another example - and we're not the only team who is victimized by this - of a player who gets his big payday and just coasts??? Isn't he guaranteed over $10 million?
    $10.25M. He won't be going anywhere until at least 2015.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

between Prop Joe and Avon, all the good corners are taken, best you can hope for is some off-brand mother@#$%^& working down at the docks.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
        $10.25M. He won't be going anywhere until at least 2015.
        Not so sure about that. See: Gaither and Meachump.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Not so sure about that. See: Gaither and Meachump.
          Cox would cost a lot more to cut than those 2 did. I don't think the team could afford the amount of dead money it would cost
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
            Cox would cost a lot more to cut than those 2 did. I don't think the team could afford the amount of dead money it would cost
            A lot more than the $4-6 million - each - that those two cost?

Maybe we SHOULDN'T be spending big money on UFA if this is the best we can do. Just sign 3-4 more Danny Woodhead types.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

A lot more than the $4-6 million - each - that those two cost?

Maybe we SHOULDN'T be spending big money on UFA if this is the best we can do. Just sign 3-4 more Danny Woodhead types.
              Hie dead money in 2014 is 8.15
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

I wonder what it must be like living in a black-and-white world.

Yes, Cox has sucked. But he's been decent in the past. And unlike Gaither (a complete waste of space) and Meachem (completely wrong type of WR for either Norv or McCoy's system), I think he's salvageable. Everyone (with half a football-savvy brain cell) knows that there is a direct correlation between pass rush and coverage. I agree we need to seek an upgrade over Cox, but I also believe that if we upgrade our pass rush, Cox will be less of a liability.

If we just cut bait with Cox, we'll have his cap hit plus an additional hole in the secondary. The smarter move, IMO, is to use our resources to improve our pass rush for next season and see how Cox and the rest of the secondary respond to that.
                Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

We need to press with cox. Not sure why he was signed to use him as a zone corner.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post

Yes, Cox has sucked. But he's been decent in the past. And unlike Gaither (a complete waste of space) and Meachem (completely wrong type of WR for either Norv or McCoy's system), I think he's salvageable. Everyone (with half a football-savvy brain cell) knows that there is a direct correlation between pass rush and coverage. I agree we need to seek an upgrade over Cox, but I also believe that if we upgrade our pass rush, Cox will be less of a liability.

If we just cut bait with Cox, we'll have his cap hit plus an additional hole in the secondary. The smarter move, IMO, is to use our resources to improve our pass rush for next season and see how Cox and the rest of the secondary respond to that.

The same pass rush or lack of pass rush the other corner Wright deals with too, but he seems to suck less than Cox.

I think Wright actually can be solid corner, he showed some good press coverage against Thomas and seem to be close in coverage, with that being said Wright needs to sure up on tackling, I feel better about his ability to improve as a corner being that he was injured most of last season and being a first year starter versus Cox.

I wonder at this point has Cox lost his confidence when plays off a reciever he plays way off!!!!!!

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post

I guess my point is this: Does Cox WANT to be "salvaged"?? With all the scary stories about concussions, guys losing their minds, debilitating non-head injuries...he MIGHT be thinking: "Well, heck, I've got $10 million, guaranteed. Why should I risk some sort of life-changing incident?" It doesn't matter if the guy make 20 INTs or gets benched, he makes the same dough.

In the past, some of the replies to this 'theory' of mine have been along the lines of: "He's an NFL player; you don't reach that level by being a dead beat". Well, if one is facing the prospect of mental problems, spinal cord injuries, concussions (multiple), or multiple [name a body part] surgeries, fractures, etc, it's not too much of a stretch to think that a marginal guy like Cox just might be asking himself those same questions.

That, or we're forced to believe that guys like Meachump (8 receptions in 8 games since he returned to NO), or Cox, or even Gaither just 'forgot' how to play the game over the course of 1 off-season.

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                        The same pass rush or lack of pass rush the other corner Wright deals with too, but he seems to suck less than Cox.

I think Wright actually can be solid corner, he showed some good press coverage against Thomas and seem to be close in coverage, with that being said Wright needs to sure up on tackling, I feel better about his ability to improve as a corner being that he was injured most of last season and being a first year starter versus Cox.

I wonder at this point has Cox lost his confidence when plays off a reciever he plays way off!!!!!!
                        I like Wright a lot. Have since last season. But he, too, has been beat a fair number of times this season.

Like I said, I don't deny that Cox has been awful. In fact, I might feel more comfortable with Patrick starting over Cox at the moment. But I do feel very strongly that Cox would not suck as badly with a decent pass rush, and that it is smarter to spend the money to fix the pass rush than to cut Cox, absorb his dead money into the cap hit, and then have to find a replacement.

I fear I may not be stating my position very well, so let me try to restate:

We have to upgrade secondary and pass rush.

If we cut Cox, we then have Cox's dead money against the cap, and we still have to find another CB. Essentially, we'd be paying for 2 CBs while only getting 1, and we wouldn't be able to spend that money bolstering the pass rush.

But if we keep Cox, we don't then have dead money plus the salary of his replacement. We can spend that money on upgrading the pass rush. And because we have a better pass rush, in theory Cox would suck less (or his suckiness would be less exposed).

And I made this point because a parallel had been drawn to Gaither and Meachem, and I don't think the situations are analogous for the very reason that Cox's suckiness can be mitigated with improvements elsewhere while Gaither and Meachem were unsalvageable.
                        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Send PM

I guess my point is this: Does Cox WANT to be "salvaged"?? With all the scary stories about concussions, guys losing their minds, debilitating non-head injuries...he MIGHT be thinking: "Well, heck, I've got $10 million, guaranteed. Why should I risk some sort of life-changing incident?" It doesn't matter if the guy make 20 INTs or gets benched, he makes the same dough.

In the past, some of the replies to this 'theory' of mine have been along the lines of: "He's an NFL player; you don't reach that level by being a dead beat". Well, if one is facing the prospect of mental problems, spinal cord injuries, concussions (multiple), or multiple [name a body part] surgeries, fractures, etc, it's not too much of a stretch to think that a marginal guy like Cox just might be asking himself those same questions.

That, or we're forced to believe that guys like Meachump (8 receptions in 8 games since he returned to NO), or Cox, or even Gaither just 'forgot' how to play the game over the course of 1 off-season.
                          Ah, Q, ever the cynic.
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X