• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
    I really think Mathews has a hard time with the mental part of the game. When Rivers is out there calling out all sorts of play calls and adjustments, Mathews doesn't seem to be able to process all of them. I think that's why he's in there on downs where the D just can't tee off and make a run at Rivers. When it's an obvious passing down, Mathews has to know when he's supposed to stay in and block, who to block on blitz pick up, and when to go out on a route, what route to run, and where to be at a certain time. I just don't think he can do all that. I would imagine that this shows up in practices, and hence, we don't see it in games. However, I've seen Rivers get frustrated with him many times, especially with his routes, and I just have to believe that he's a bit short in the brains department.

He's got all the talent in the world, and he's a sincere, hard practicing player, and I don't think he deserves to be scorned, but it is a problem as to how to play him in the best situations to maximize his strengths.
    I think this is money.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
      Whatever dude,I think you a reading much too much into this to be perfectly honest. Go ahead and say that you don't like the way my facts make you feel about the opinions you have formed, that is fine with me. But, you are doing more to prove my point than I could ever do so myself so I thank you for that.
      Then I'm clairvoyant. Because I still don't know what you're point is, if you even have one. I do know you're a master "fact" spinner, however. Is that your point???

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the coaching staff that sees him EVERY SINGLE DAY probably has a better handle on what this guy's capabilities are compared to you and I who only see him for 3 hours once a week.

Part of the reason he disappeared for a stretch during the Denver game was because they commented that he may have been gassed/injured after the two long runs and we fell behind 28-6 so yeah.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltdog
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Lunar Surface
          • Nutrition Consultant
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
          Matthews has for sure gotten better with the fumbling...I think that for Matthews, the situation of where he has fumbled has made them worse than the statistics bear out.
          Agree Wheels. How many of Woodhead's fumbles were in the red zone or at the goal line, directly costing NE games? More than likely, Matthews leads Woodhead in that area. Generic comparisons like this don't mean much without showing the actual situation when their fumbles occurred, which is what Turner and McCoy looked at...
          Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• blahblahblah
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

Mathews would be better if he was better.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
              Slow day at work so I decided to look this up. Note: I use total fumbles and not just fumbles lost for this comparison:

Current Year

Mathews 2013: 131 Rush + 8 Recpt = 139 Touches. Fumbles = 1. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0072

Woodhead 2013: 59 Rush + 53 Recpt = 112 Touches. Fumbles = 2. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0179

Past Two Years

Mathews 2012-2013: 315 Rush + 47 Recpt = 362 Touches. Fumbles = 3. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0083

Woodhead 2012-2-13: 135 Rush + 93 Recpt = 228 Touches. Fumbles = 3. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0132

Career

Mathews Career: 695 Rush + 119 Recpt = 814 Touches. Fumbles = 13. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0160
              Woodhead Career: 324 Rush + 153 Recpt = 477 Touches. Fumbles = 4. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0084

So, over the last two years Mathews has hardly been the fumbling machine some portray him to be and his numbers are actually better than Woodhead's.
              I agree he has done a much better job taking care of the football. He is also running with more aggressiveness. I for one no longer shudder when he delivers or absorbs a hit. I do still yell "hold on to the f*cking BALL" at the tv though. Some habits die hard. Lol

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I use to worry about his first effort, and knew he would fumble on his second effort. Now I worry about injury on any effort and only worry about a fumble when he holds the ball like...

Gates!
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  I use to worry about his first effort, and knew he would fumble on his second effort. Now I worry about injury on any effort and only worry about a fumble when he holds the ball like...

Gates!
                  At least Mathews doesn't fumble balls like Yeats.

Comment

Working...
                  X