• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
    Ingram is a top athlete. I don't expect him to have any issues at Leo.
    I don't either - but it sure would be nice for him to be here getting up to speed with the new coaching staff and scheme.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

I still think we end up in nickel a ton as its sort of become the universal base defense in the NFL. The Gamecocks almost exclusively ran a 425 while Ingram was there. I think hes a better fit with his hand on the ground in a traditional DEroll but he certainly has the athleticism to play on the strong side. I think if he stays healthy he will have a big year for us and with the versatility to play on the strongside as well as blitz through the A gaps i can see Bradley maxing out his potential.

I happen to think that over the past few years under McCoy we havnt done a great job developing players. Im looking forward to seeing how are young players grow under this staff.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I think Ingram wants an injury, what could we get in a trade for him?
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

He sucks anyway... let him go...

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

And what happens when he has18 sacks this year?
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

And what happens if he pulls a hammy his first day back?
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• rikardo
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                And what happens when he has18 sacks this year?
                I believe you can franchise tag him again (with options of either sign him long term or trade him)

I do believe the Chargers should wait 1 more year for him to prove his worth a huge contract.

Comment

• Big Dog
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post

I believe you can franchise tag him again (with options of either sign him long term or trade him)

I do believe the Chargers should wait 1 more year for him to prove his worth a huge contract.
                  Exactly !!!! Last year felt like his all out year to get a BIG contract and if he gets it there is a 50-50 chance he Gaithersb it or what was the ILB we had who played along side Takeo Spikes for us got his big contract and was never that good ever again ... this feels like that guy ...

He might not want to play under the tag because he can't do it again and doesn't want to .... he might sit out the year ala VJ ...

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Ingram would get 120% increase in salary if we give a 2nd franchise tag. His current number is $14.5 million, so it would go up to $17.4 million. A 3rd would be $20.88 million and so on. The franchise tag is unlikely too many times.

Most players hate the franchise tag, but the fact is if he gets a big deal from another team, then chances are his career will fail. You can knock the odds of him getting a big contract from us, but his best chance of continued success is with his old team.

Pass rushers cost a lot no matter who they are. If we let Ingram walk, and Attaochu (also in a contract year), doesn't step up, then we can pretty much guarantee Bosa's production drops dramatically, and worse still the pass rush becomes completely inconsistent. You can't rush the passer with just 1 guy, and that is a fact.

If you want to be successful on D, and pressure QB on 3rd down and late in games, it means paying. Either in terms of money (like Ingram) or in terms of high draft picks who you let walk. Since pass rushers usually take a couple of years to develop, it means constantly drafting pass rushers and developing them. That means a lot of high picks who get to walk.

I don't think this is as much about Ingram being inconsistent. He has finally developed his technique and while he can still improve some, he is finally an NFL caliber player. When we drafted him, he was an NFL caliber prospect who had no idea how to play DL/rush the QB. Now, I think it is all about watching him adjust to the new D. I don't think it is an issue, but before we commit millions to the guy, we need to see how he does in the new D.

There is a risk to paying a big contract, but not committing it is just completely gutless and dooms the team to failure. You have to rush the QB to win and that is all there is to it. Atlanta got no pressure on Tom Brady in the 2nd half, and the score reflects it. If you want to win big games in the playoffs and the SB, you have to rush the QB. Otherwise, you are just hoping to win, not trying to.

Comment

• rikardo
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Ingram would get 120% increase in salary if we give a 2nd franchise tag. His current number is $14.5 million, so it would go up to $17.4 million. A 3rd would be $20.88 million and so on. The franchise tag is unlikely too many times.
                      Agree the 2nd tag is only to trade him or continue talks about extending him...

Comment

• chargerkdb
                        Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                        • Send PM

I know this sounds weird but I'm kind of relieved. He will sign his Tag when he has to and I think keeping him on a one year deal is good. I just have the feeling that as soon as he got a long term big money deal he would get hurt.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Letting your stars get away when it's time for a second contract is the sure path to failure.

Ingram may get hurt, but he has never been lazy.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                            chargerkdb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Having tens of millions sitting in the trainers room is also a path to failure. See last few seasons. It's a fine line. I'm not saying he's lazy. He is a Bolt this year, if he gets hurt again he probably won't have a long term future here so what's the point of giving him a long term deal. He is ours for now, if he plays great this year we still have option to tag or new contract next year
                        Working...
                        X