Was Mathews about to have a HUGE game ??

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
    Matthews never made it through 16 games healthy, but in the 2011 season he played 14 games and had 50 receptions it isn't a matter of him not being able to catch or not knowing how to run routes, if that was the case he wouldn't be able to get that many receptions.
    Nobody said that he didn't know how to catch. I said he wasn't a great receiver out of the backfield. I also said Woodhead was 1000x better. None of that translates into "not being able to catch or run routes".

Comment

• homeless simpson
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

It was also mentioned how he doesn't have a lot of long runs to inflate his average, yet is still averaging 4+ per carry

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Buck View Post
        Didn't Mathews injure himself on the long run that was called back? I thought that's why he was being held out.
        I heard he missed the rest of the quarter to get his hamstring worked on.

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

Mathews biggest enemy is Woodhead. Woodhead is arguably the best receiving RB in football AND he's a pretty good downhill runner to boot. You give those two things to Whiz and you bet he's going to have more packages for Woody than Mathews. I think Mathews is a decent pass catching back but when you have a very good one in Woodhead its just not in your favor to be in on 3rd downs.

That said Mathews is a better home run threat than Woodhead and has shown repeatedly he can make some very good runs especially if he's given a hole or blocker. Woody isn't near the outside edge RB that Mathews is...problem is we dont call edge runs much.

Its really a good problem to have folks. We have two pretty good overall backs...each a little different but both effective.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Sproles logo:
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
              Mathews biggest enemy is Woodhead. Woodhead is arguably the best receiving RB in football AND he's a pretty good downhill runner to boot. You give those two things to Whiz and you bet he's going to have more packages for Woody than Mathews. I think Mathews is a decent pass catching back but when you have a very good one in Woodhead its just not in your favor to be in on 3rd downs.

That said Mathews is a better home run threat than Woodhead and has shown repeatedly he can make some very good runs especially if he's given a hole or blocker. Woody isn't near the outside edge RB that Mathews is...problem is we dont call edge runs much.

Its really a good problem to have folks. We have two pretty good overall backs...each a little different but both effective.
              Mathews' biggest enemy is Mathews.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                Booyah!
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                  I would disagree....I think Woodhead is really #1 on the depth chart for expected time on the field. Battle has been won by Woodhead. At this point we are best as a RB by a committee approach. Frankly Mathews has had a pretty good season so far....just isnt playing as much as Woodhead.

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                    That said Mathews is a better home run threat than Woodhead
                    Yeah, he has that dreaded P word (potential), but still waiting for that first home run.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                      I've noticed he's really initiating a lot more contact than I recall in the past. I like it.
                      Mathews only avoided contact his first year. After that, he's been aggressive. That's what has led to a few of his fumbles and injuries.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

[QUOTE=OhioBolt;45944]
                        Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
                        After that first big run by Mathews, even after it was called back, it felt like Mathews was going to have a HUGE game ... he was chomping at the bit, then we pull him for a long time. Then we put him in again and he busts another one for big yards, then he gets stopped a couple times and we give up on the run ...

Whether its because of the contract year, or Mathews is feeling good or whatever, I feel like he has a 150+ game in him in the next week or two ... just a feeling ...

He seems just on the edge of a breakout, anybody else getting that vibe ... only thing that can stop him is the Whizzanator ...[/QUOTE]

For as much as we rag on Pango and his defensive play calling Whiz has been equally puzzling too. I felt we came out strong running and then we went in 3 and out with 3 consecuitive pass plays At that point in the game the run game was dominate Matthews, Woodhead and Ronnie Brown were averaging 4 plus yards a crack we had 105 yards rushing at the half. I felt like we could of just wore there D down and kept Manning off the field even more that first half.

The Washington game made no sense either Matthews was coming off back to back 100 yard rushing game, came out strong in the Washington game running Matthews had 7 carries 35 yards in the first half and then one carry in the second half. Nobody is going to forget the last drive in regulation with us on the one and the crazy play calling.

Problem with Whiz is he finds a formula that works and then for whatever reason he will deviate from it or in a critical situation he will make questionable calls

Problem with Pango he goes into a game with a specific game plan and waits to long to make adjustments and makes questionable calls period.
                        The Whiz never seemed very good at using the running game in Phoenix. Pretty much the only thing he did right with the Cardinals was he let Kurt Warner kick some ass. Once Warner retired, the Cardinals offense went to shit. This is despite having some pretty talented runningbacks and receivers.

Comment

Working...
                        X