Dumping Core (Guys to cut/redo at the end of the season)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
    What has Larry English ever brought that makes him worth keeping? You can't keep a lb who gives you 1 tackle and .2 sacks per game.
    You are missing his point. English is in the last year of his contract so we don't have to cut him.

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      What has Larry English ever brought that makes him worth keeping? You can't keep a lb who gives you 1 tackle and .2 sacks per game.
      Who said anything about keeping Larry English???
      Adipose

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
        Yeah, only a complete asshole would post something like that. Especially when that same poster was "disgusted" when someone else hoped Manning would get hurt.
        I do have to say that I am hoping for a blizzard in and around Park City Utah come around January 6th when I hope to go skiing with my son. I have been in a few up there and while it makes going into town a challenge (I don't have snow tires) it makes the skiing:

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          I always feel you have to look at what players are costing (or will cost if cut). Between Hardwick, Clary and Royal you have about $18.6M in cap space next year which is close to 15% of your cap total. You have to figure that into their overall value to the club. Not sure why people want Geathers over Thomas. Gaethers is inactive most of the time which means we go into the game with only one NT. Dunlap and Patrick have 6 concussions (one might be a - wink-wink - neck injury) between them so neither of them look all that attractive to me. If we do cut Cox he will be TT's Meachem and he achieved that level of sucktitude in his very first year!
          To add to your statement, you also have to consider how you are going to replace those starters and how much it's going to cost.

I'm not in favor of cutting Hardwick or Clary because they're one of the few dependable starters on the team right now playing at a high level and the o-line is the surprising strength of the offense this year (when healthy) so I'm not in favor of gutting it. The main argument for cutting Clary would be that you could replace him with either Troutman or Rinehart but I think that's a step down and it gets rid of one of the only areas with nice depth that they have. I'd rather see them extend Clary and lower his cap number for next year.

If you want to create cap space next year then I'd cut Royal, Freeney, McClain, English for starters. That's $12 million in cap space right there. Freeney is the only "starter" there and he was only brought in to replace Ingram, who will be back next year. You can replace Royal by moving Allen or Brown into the slot, with Floyd coming back. English and McClain can be easily replaced with cheaper options. Dunlap is another $1.7 million you can save if they choose to cut him if they feel he's too risky to keep around health wise. I see them drafting a LT and OLB with their early picks next year anyway.

With the news of being able to cut Cox next year and saving $4 million plus, that's also an additional option and you can use that money to try to replace him, though I'm not so sure they will give up on him that fast.

I like Patrick because he seems to be one of only guys on defense that is giving his all out there. His contract is nothing so I don't see a big risk in keeping him around. But at the same time, he's easily expendable.

Comment

• blahblahblah
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

It depends on value, savings, availability and cost of replacements, and financial impact on 2015. Best value is going to be through the draft but there are only so many draft picks and they will go through rookie struggles.

I still have 2014 written off as a rebuilding year due to the amount of dead cap space and bad contracts. Maybe that's negative, but I think the team has a better chance of long term success by being realistic about resources available. That way we don't waste money on players like Gaithers, Cox, Freeney, etc. None of those players will help this team win a SB, and all they're doing is eating up cap space and cash.

Comment

• blahblahblah
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

I don't see a good payback in getting rid of low pay DBs. You're just going to be replacing them with other DBs of similar caliber, who are now in a new system and team and will take some time to adjust. Put the resources up front.

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

Not sure why this concept is proving so difficult: You can't cut an unrestricted free agent. He's not on any team, so he can't be cut from a team until he signs with one.
                Adipose

Comment

Working...
                X