• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Porterparty
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2017
    • Send PM

Just wondering, how many times a year does the number 3 rb carry the ball? We have three good backs. The 32 teams just cut 1150 players, probably 100 RB's, Half of which could be productive if Rivers throws them a screen pass. Also there is the practice squad, where a back can learn the system.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

While I agree that Oliver is short in stature... he's not what I'd call a "small" back like Woodhead or Ekeler.

He's 5'8" 208... which is 13 pounds heavier than Ekeler (and 2 inches shorter). He's only 7 less pounds than Gordon despite being 5 inches shorter.

Gordon is your prototypical back. Oliver is a bowling ball. Ekeler is the quicker/lighter type guy.

They are all different.

And yes, someone will probably get hurt, at least for some time. NFL teams have shown again, and again, that you can pick up someone and have them be productive. Even in a big role. So I'm actually happy with what the team has.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Between Matthews and BO, if we get ahead late in a game it's gonna be fun watching us grind it down the other team's throat.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
          Gwynning_Spirit commented
          Editing a comment
          make it happen TT.

• blueman
          blueman commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol

• Heatmiser
          Heatmiser commented
          Editing a comment
          He meant Bo Matthews. Ah, the time machine. What a wasted pick THAT was.

TG
      • OhioBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        Based on the moves we have made in the last couple years....smaller fast LBs.....switch to the 43 Under.....intense passing game with the addition of MW etc. It would almost seem to me we are taking a very similar approach to football that the Falcons have been. Not comparing the rush attack of the Falcons but they are pretty good about complimenting each other. Lots of misdirection etc. However i do think Sark is bad news for RBs. I just keep seeing similar trends to Atlanta.

Devonta Freeman - 5'8 - 205 ---------- Brandon Oliver - 5'8 208

Tevin Coleman - 6'1 210 ---------------Melvin Gordon 6'1 215

Terron Ward - 5'7 199 ----------------Austin Ekeler 5'8 195
        Very Interesting, but Devonta Freeman starts and is more powerful, faster and elusive than Oliver, but very interesting none the less!

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

Very Interesting, but Devonta Freeman starts and is more powerful, faster and elusive than Oliver, but very interesting none the less!
          And i think Gordon is better than Coleman. And starts. But my point was player sizes complimenting each other. You would think that the more natural fit would be Coleman on early downs due to his size and the smaller Freeman complimenting him. Which is how we do it. In fact i think Freeman was on the way out when they drafted Coleman. And he got his head out of his ass so to speak. But if a guy Freeman's size can handle lead duties i think BO can. That dosnt mean im comparing the talent however when it comes to BO and Freeman.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Nice little piece on Ekeler from a Fantasy Football perspective.

​​​​​​7. Austin Ekeler will be a player owners want to add before the end of the season.

There are very few true "sleepers" in fantasy anymore, but every so often the preseason yields a player completely off the radar who is worth tracking at the very least and possibly adding in dynasty leagues in short order. Victor Cruz immediately comes to mind with his three-touchdown game against the Jets in 2010. But not all performances can or will be that flashy.

Before we can get to why Ekeler could have an impact on your season, we must first look at what he has already accomplished. The 5-9, 195-pounder was an absolute workhorse at Division II Western State, breaking a number of school records by logging 932 carries for 5,857 yards and 55 touchdowns. He signed as an undrafted free agent in mid-May and proceeded to finish the exhibition season with 87 yards on 15 carries and 72 yards on five catches. In doing so, he essentially stole Andre Williams' roster spot. Ekeler immediately jumped off the tape to me and is a spitting image of a faster and more athletic Danny Woodhead, which is ironic on at least a couple of levels. (The same Chargers' scout that identified Woodhead years ago also "found" Ekeler and Woodhead played at Chadron State - also a Division II school).

There's a pretty good chance Ekeler will do little more than work on the special teams units and possibly return kicks/punts well into the season, so owners don't need to rush to add him at the moment. But it's not hard to imagine a scenario in which he - like Oliver did for a brief spell in 2014 - plays his way onto the fantasy radar, be it as a committee partner to Oliver should Gordon go down, or as a Woodhead-like weapon in the passing game. He's got a future in this league.

​​​​​​http://www.fftoday.com/articles/orth...edictions.html

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

Was Ekeler's pre-season play all in the final game? I don't even remember seeing him in the second and third games.
              migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

15 rushes for 87 yards in the 3rd and 4th games. And 5 receptions for 72 yards in the 1st, 2nd and 4th games. Only caught 2 passes in the first 2 games. No rushes.

2 kick returns for 50 yards. Pretty much productive every time he touched the ball. I think he made tackles on coverages as well. Cant recall.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

He definitely had an "it factor" during the preseason. Let's see if it has legs. I hope so.

Comment

Working...
                  X