Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    Hes got the talent no question...i just question his work ethic. I think the reason LT was so durable was a direct result of his work ethic. I also think hes other focused.
    I don't think it is that he has no work ethic. Norv was told a story last year to McClain, that when he came in to meet with the team as a FA before signing, that he pointed out to the practice feild and there was Mathews running sprints on his own. And the year he got nabbed for failing his intervals, he and Tutu were both seen running on the beaches to build up their leg muscles. I think he works plenty hard at things.

To me the issue is probably more of an issue of working and pushing yourself and being smart about it. I know a lot of people who over train or work doing stuff that they like to do, rather then doing their workouts the way they are designed. A guy who was a hurdler on my college track team used to do the workouts in the order he wanted. He lifted and then did his technique work when his workout called for it being the other way round. His technique got worse and worse, followed by his times getting worse and worse, so he would push himself harder and harder. But he was his own worst enemy. A lot of other people would just plain overtrain. I suspect Mathews, who doesn't strike anyone as being a rocket scientist anyway, could easily be the same sort of guy. Working hard, and doing it badly.

LT worked really hard, but despite the fact that he didn't always come off as being eloquent, he was a really smart guy. I got the impression LT had a reason for doing everything he did, and asking a lot of the right kind of questions to the right kind of people. Plus, LT was mentally very tough, which seems to be a problem with Mathews.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
      So, what does Matthews need to do in your mind to earn a small extention next offseason?
      For me its,

A. Stay healthy for 16 regular season games.
      B. 1000+ Rushing yards 300+ recieving yards. 6+TD's 4+ YPC 4 or less fumbles in 16 games.
      C. Not lose carries to any other RB on 1st and second down.
      D. Grow up a little bit!
      A thru D minimum.
      Plus E for mental toughness
      Last edited by Mister Hoarse; 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

To me it has seemed that as the oppertunity arizes in a game forr Mathews to make a few extra yards here or there his technique goes by the way side. Getting roughed up in the backfield before getting into space then once he clears into space he is losing technick before the second and third contact were the fumble occurs. After his first three years I'm left to wonder if he is durrable enough running between the tackles. One thing I hate about his running. When he breaks through the dline and only has 2 or 3 players to beat in space, he seems to run to the angle that helps the defence. Instead of knowing the LBr will be to his left and run more away from that space he runs to it helping the ILB tackle him.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

there's a difference between lt(uneducated) and mathews(plum dumb)

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

We are REALLY spoiled by LT
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              At a certain point we will see a team win it all buy running the ball. The less teams defend against it the more suseptable defences will become to the run.
              good point. when a scheme starts to succeed it's duplicated, and nothing will open up running the ball like the majority of defenses built/schemed/geared to stop the passing attacks of 29 of the other teams.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I don't think it is that he has no work ethic. Norv was told a story last year to McClain, that when he came in to meet with the team as a FA before signing, that he pointed out to the practice feild and there was Mathews running sprints on his own. And the year he got nabbed for failing his intervals, he and Tutu were both seen running on the beaches to build up their leg muscles. I think he works plenty hard at things.

To me the issue is probably more of an issue of working and pushing yourself and being smart about it. I know a lot of people who over train or work doing stuff that they like to do, rather then doing their workouts the way they are designed. A guy who was a hurdler on my college track team used to do the workouts in the order he wanted. He lifted and then did his technique work when his workout called for it being the other way round. His technique got worse and worse, followed by his times getting worse and worse, so he would push himself harder and harder. But he was his own worst enemy. A lot of other people would just plain overtrain. I suspect Mathews, who doesn't strike anyone as being a rocket scientist anyway, could easily be the same sort of guy. Working hard, and doing it badly.

LT worked really hard, but despite the fact that he didn't always come off as being eloquent, he was a really smart guy. I got the impression LT had a reason for doing everything he did, and asking a lot of the right kind of questions to the right kind of people. Plus, LT was mentally very tough, which seems to be a problem with Mathews.
                But your sort of explaining work ethic the way i see it. I dont just mean running sprints. Its more an off the field issue. I mentioned the other day that if Mathews wanted to be like his idol he would do what his idol did. LT did weay more than just run sprints. He sharpened his mind. He spent more time studying film. He took care of his body with massages etc. He didnt let outside influence get to him. He didnt get distracted. Mathews needs to mature and its all part of working to get better. On and off the field.

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Prediction: Broken something in preseason, not serious enough for IR, but too serious for him to see significant playing time.
                  Last edited by KNSD; 07-09-2013, 04:11 PM.
                  Prediction:
                  Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                  Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                    SLAM DUNK!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • East County San Diego
                    • Bolt fanatic
                    • Send PM

Sure the pro bowl is a joke, but it was a decent year all in all and he did play in the pro bowl. 6th best RB in the AFC is still decent and he had some really good games that year.
                    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

It would help us tremendously if he could really take over the lead role. Not only numbers but as a leader.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

3 years with only 4 100yard rushing games. That's not a good percentage
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                          SLAM DUNK!
                          • Jun 2013
                          • East County San Diego
                          • Bolt fanatic
                          • Send PM

But how many with 100 yards from scrimmage?
                          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Working...
                          X