• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Jesus everybody else celebrates, welcome to the NFL Mr Gruden.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Really, there is not much difference between King and Kaser. There are the top couple of guys, then there is a big cluster and Kaser is at the bottom of the cluster and King is at the top. The differences in their performance are going to be influenced more by the situations and randomness more than there differences in ability. Adding King is not going to upgrade out punting, which is already close to the best in the league.

In terms of cost, King is way, way more expensive. Kaser is on his rookie deal and King got a 5-year. $16.5 mill deal with $7.75 mill guaranteed, so his release will hut the Raiders cap some. He would really hurt our cap if we signed him since we are down to $6 mill in cap space and need that much to sign rookies and injury replacements.

I agree with Fleet, I think Kaser will continue to improve (he just finished his 2nd year), so it may not be long before he is the much better P in the end. At a similar stage of development, Kaser is a better P than King was.

With the uncertainty at the K position, I like the idea that Kaser could be used as a K guy if we go for a PK who is more consistent but has less of a leg. It keeps our options open. King has no background in kickoffs.

If we are really determined to try and upgrade, the only real choice is really to draft Joesph Davidson from Bowling Green. The guy has a huge leg. The guy has more huge punts than any P in college football history. Plus he is a southpaw, so that is a big plus.

Is he that much of an upgrade? Remember the growing pains with Kaser his rookie year. Poor punt vs KC in the opener that gave them great FP on one of the scoring drives that lead to a comback, a couple other similar deals during the year..... young kickers are inconsistent and he would not be a huge upgrade. I would rather stick with Kaser. Plus, I think Kaser will soon be out of the 2nd tier of punters and be pushing the league leaders. He's pretty much doing that now anyway.

People like King because he is flashy and fun. I would rather have the better player in Kaser.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I give credit to McCoy. A lot of coaches would have cut Kaser during his rookie year after the shanks at the worst possible time, dropping a snap that cost the team a game, etc.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

That is why you have to remove yourself from the emotion of the loss before you make decisions.

I can't help but wonder if maybe we should have done the same with Lambo. He seems to have made a lot of progress with Jacksonville. I don't doubt he will have a slump again, but I think he is starting to approach the peak where he becomes the guy that we hoped he would be.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

And if it was the case, which I think it may have been, then fine. But my point is that players do tend to take time to develop, especially at positions like K and P.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Fight for Koo!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  And if it was the case, which I think it may have been, then fine. But my point is that players do tend to take time to develop, especially at positions like K and P.

Comment

• TTThunder
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Steve,

Have your top six prospects for our round 1 at #17 changed?

Thank you very much.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

1). Quentin Nelson, OG, ND
                      2). Hurst, DT Michigan
                      3). DaRon Payne, NT, Alabama
                      4). Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
                      5). Derwin James, S, FSU
                      6). Billy Price, C, OSU
                      7). Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama
                      8). Marcus Davenport, DE/OLB, UTSA

This is my "cluster" if you will. NOt saying we have a chance at all of them.

Comment

• richpjr
                        richpjr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So who would you want if you had your pick of a player in that cluster?
                    • Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Nelson's the best player in the draft, so even though our OL is pretty set, it would be him.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                        chargerkdb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agreed 100% He is best player in the draft .position is only reason he isnt mocked higher. I like hernandez as well. I wish the top end tackles were better this year.
                    • Attack
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Nelson's the best player in the draft, so even though our OL is pretty set, it would be him.
                      As it looks now, Nelson, James, and Fitzpatrick from your cluster won't be there at 17. Of the other 5 players left in your cluster, who would you pick?

Comment

Working...
                      X