• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Eric Williams response to a question on whether Liuget will be cut:

Defensive tackle Corey Liuget was suspended for the first four games of the regular season without pay for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing substances.

Liuget is scheduled to make $8 million in 2018, so now the Chargers will get a $2 million discount on his salary. According to ESPN's Field Yates, the Chargers also will get a $2 million credit toward the team's salary cap in 2019.

If the Chargers released Liuget, they would save $6.5 million in salary cap space.

I know there's been a lot of talk about the Chargers releasing or restructuring Liuget's contract, but my understanding is that has not happened. Veteran players considered overpriced are traditionally released after the draft when teams have found a replacement, or during final roster cuts to 53 after camp.

But I don't believe Liuget is going anywhere. He's 28 years old and a good fit for defensive coordinator Gus Bradley's scheme. And by having Liuget on the inactive list for four games, it will give younger players like Darius Philon, Damion Square and Isaac Rochell an opportunity to show what they can do early in the year, while having Liuget available by Week 5 in case the inevitable injury bug strikes.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

The money savings is only an ancillary benefit, as far as I am concerned. The bigger issue is that the DT need to play better for the D to take the next step up. Letting Philon, Palepoi and Rochelle should be able to fill in for Liuget at a similar level as last year, maybe even better.

Mebane is a more pressing need. Adding a NT type not only improves the level of play, but secures the position for the future.

DT position is holding the D back.
        Last edited by Steve; 04-01-2018, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X