• SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
    yikes!
    people keep forgetting Lynn traded for Cardale Jones last year. There's no urgency to sign or draft a guy to sit behind Rivers. Spanos history suggests they will wait until they can't get any more out of Rivers before REALLY trying to find a viable replacement starter, and would likely trade up to get "their guy" when ready - no matter the cost. Count on it happening between the 1st and 2nd year playing in KroenkeWorld stadium.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

people keep forgetting Lynn traded for Cardale Jones last year. There's no urgency to sign or draft a guy to sit behind Rivers. Spanos history suggests they will wait until they can't get any more out of Rivers before REALLY trying to find a viable replacement starter, and would likely trade up to get "their guy" when ready - no matter the cost. Count on it happening between the 1st and 2nd year playing in KroenkeWorld stadium.
      Disagree that there is no urgency.

At Rivers' age, there are no guarantees of anything. Father time can be a quick and deadly assassin. Not everybody can be a Tom Brady, eventually Rivers' play WILL drop off, and sooner than later. I'm not saying we need to draft his heir in the first round this year, but I also wouldn't be up in arms about it.

I'd rather have his heir on the roster and groomed for the next couple of years than to wait, go into the season with a 39 year old QB with no backup plan, no ready replacement, nothing really. That's how you buy yourself a decade of QB hunting and disappointment.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

HOW ABOUT NO
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I would rather eat a spoonful of gritty kitty litter!
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Rugger05
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I would rather pull a Fleet and punch myself in the nuts repeatedly

Comment

• Geezbolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Sun Valley, ID
              • Send PM

I agree about Cardale Jones. Lynn obviously saw something in him he liked. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does this year in the preseason games after being in the meetings with Rivers, having the OTA's.under his belt, and a full training camp.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Disagree that there is no urgency.

At Rivers' age, there are no guarantees of anything. Father time can be a quick and deadly assassin. Not everybody can be a Tom Brady, eventually Rivers' play WILL drop off, and sooner than later. I'm not saying we need to draft his heir in the first round this year, but I also wouldn't be up in arms about it.

I'd rather have his heir on the roster and groomed for the next couple of years than to wait, go into the season with a 39 year old QB with no backup plan, no ready replacement, nothing really. That's how you buy yourself a decade of QB hunting and disappointment.
                that's not the way the NFL currently works though. 1st round QBs are starting sometime during their rookie years. The Spanii are not going to pay a huge 1st round QB contract to have a guy ride the bench with Rivers still capable of starting.They also don't like to keep a 3rd QB on 53man roster and already have a backup in Jones for if/when Rivers can't play anymore. Every year guys here make the argument the backup sux and there are better guys out there and the team will have no chance if the current backup has to start more than 1 or 2 games- yet every year the team goes with 2 QBs and does not groom an heir apparent on the roster behind Rivers. Why would it change this year?
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

One backup can not develop due to lack of reps with the first team as it is. I'd dump Clemons and bring in Geno to compete but with Jones on the roster I wouldn't draft a rookie due to not enough reps for two young debelopide players on the roster. Geno or Clemons plus Jose's or Jackson but never would I draft Jackson and keep Jones. They will both need all the quality reps they can get.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    Mister Hoarse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Time to debelopide this players

Hallelujah: Report: Geno Smith visiting Seahawks

Geno Smith already visited the Chargers. Now, the quarterback is on his way to Seattle, Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News reports. Smith, 27, made his only start in Week 13 last season, breaking Eli Manning's consecutive games played streak.

Comment

• Charged4Life
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Geno Smith? Why? Has he ever been good?

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Geno Smith throws a really nice pass. That is not the same thing as being an NFL QB. Smith can throw a pass accurately enough that he can complete some passes to covered players, but he throws the ball to guys who aren't open. The guy just can't read defenses well. IF he hasn't learned by now, he isn't going to get it.

Geno Smith is why I wouldn't draft Lamar Jackson. Jackson is a better runner, but the same thing as a QB. Throws a nice pass and completes a lot of passes downfield because he is accurate, but can't read defenses and so they make a lot of bad decisions. But in college he has yet to show me as much as any other QB as being able to read defenses. I just don't think it is something you teach QB to do. Guys who look for open receivers always look for them. Guys who try to throw into coverage keep throwing into coverage. Smith does it, and I think Jackson will too.

I am OK with Smith as a camp arm to keep Rivers fresh in TC. But I don' think he has a chance in hell of making the roster. I don't want him taking snaps away from Rivers and whoever we choose to be the developmental QB. I would bring Kellen Clemens in off the street than sign Smith, and I don't think we should do that. I don't see any point in signing a vet before the draft.

Jones was not really impressive in camp last year, but he didn't show up in camp until a couple of days in, had to learn the offense on the fly. I really want to see him this offseason.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

They traded a conditional 7th for him. Means little other than he gets a chance to show what he can do.
                        They can wait till next year to draft aQB imo. I don't think there is urgency. Whether it is this year or next year....it will cost a lot to trade up to draft a QB high so get the other possitions now. Rivers will play three more years at least.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-29-2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X