• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
    This is the year we need to draft Rivers' successor. For starters, he is very similar to PR in frame, arm strength, football IQ, etc & would be the perfect candidate to take over for PR in 2+ years. Secondly, I think he would benefit from a coupla years of seasoning under PR & wouldn't need to start right away. Finally, the Chargers wouldn't need to break the bank in a few years being forced to trade up to get that next franchise QB when PR does finally retire.

Other considerations---I am not sure we have any major glaring needs that need to be addressed (moreso than our next franchise QB) at #17. Also, I think a pick like Rudolph would go a long way toward improving fan interest/buy-in with the Chargers having secured their next franchise QB in place in time for the new stadium debut. Lastly, I think Rudolph could possibly be the best QB in the draft. At the very least, he is a sleeper with tremendous upside.
    I prefer his future replacement sit 1 season max. Thereby maximize the time we have excess cap space to use with a QB on a rookie deal. So for me, this is at least one year early.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

This isnt the year we need to draft a QB high. There will always be QBs in the drafts and just because this class has many don't mean we need to panic. We will still have to trade pics to move up unless we settle for a guy like Rudolph.....who IMO would be a reach at #17. I dont like the idea of drafting a QB high and having him sit three years. Two years max but would like to have them take over in their second year. So this year......no QB in the first round.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
        If he's a statue like Rivers....no thanks.
        Most of the best QBs are statues. Sure there are some good scramblers but besides Russell Wilson,how many of those have even made it superbowls? The best of those QBs never made it to one (Randall Cunningham). Tarkenton made it to some but never won one. And he scrambled around in the pocket,he didnt run very often.

Comment

• SDFan
          SDFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Rodgers and a couple others buy time with their legs to extend plays and avoid sacks so at least WRs can get open.
      • Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Comment

• chargerkdb
          chargerkdb commented
          Editing a comment
          Wagner 6’0 245, Curry 6’2 255. Thomas a Safety not a hybrid. 6’3 230 Kam Chancellor played the Rover at VT, which is Safety/Hybrid LB. Think VdE or Edmunds or Derwin James or even Terrel Edmunds on day 2 or 3 who was last seen at Rover for VT
          Last edited by chargerkdb; 04-07-2018, 12:12 PM.
      • Jameshbauer30
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2018
        • Send PM

Got to go all on while rivers is still playing at top 5 level and hall of fame status. Our window is the next few years while all our good talent on offense and defense is still under contract and mostly young. We have great talent everywhere except we need a free safety,defensive tackle, strong side sam linebacker,will linebacker too hopefully jatavis brown was just in sophomore slump and can take next step this season and we will be good at will linebacker.I really want to see us double dip on either linebacker or DT cus that's what we need bad plus a great free safety because that is very important in gus Bradleys cover 3 sceme. If we we get great talent at those three positions our defense will be even better and we can get a superbowl garuntee it. Get rivers his ring the man deserves it and the chargers organization and fans deserve it very badly worry about the next qb 3-5 years down the road there will be other good qbs later on in 2020 and on. We are so close we can make this happen with one more solid defensive heavy draft

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Bolt-O commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to the Powder Blues!

• SDFan
          SDFan commented
          Editing a comment
          PUSH Year!
      • oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Not sure we have any major glaring needs?

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blueman
          blueman commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, unless beating KC is important.

Wait, you’re upset with TT for not doing more in FA to win now, but don’t think we need a high draft pick anywhere to win now? Okay.
          Last edited by blueman; 04-07-2018, 07:25 PM.

• oneinchpunch
          oneinchpunch commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m not sure what that is even supposed to say. I don’t think Tommy has done enough to address the DL and LBs. I don’t want him to waste a pick on a qb when those nerds haven’t been addressed
      • bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
        Not sure we have any major glaring needs?
        Huh?
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          oneinchpunch commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Maverick View Post

Other considerations---I am not sure we have any major glaring needs that need to be addressed (moreso than our next franchise QB) at #17.
      • MasterOfPuppets
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Tijuana
        • Send PM

No, no, no, developmental QBs (that sit for 2 years) are drafted in round 3 and up. In two years try to extend Rivers for a year or two (depending on his level of play at that point) and draft his replacement then. Go all in in the next two years

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
          No, no, no, developmental QBs (that sit for 2 years) are drafted in round 3 and up. In two years try to extend Rivers for a year or two (depending on his level of play at that point) and draft his replacement then. Go all in in the next two years
          The Packers managed to go all in on Favre's final seasons while having Rodgers stood on the sidelines waiting for him to call it a day. I don't see why we couldn't do the same if we fell in love with a quarterback and took them at 17. At least we could prepare them and get them ready. It also protects us if Rivers regressed like Peyton. And that's without considering the possibility that the year we need one isn't a weak class (e.g. a few seasons ago EJ Manuel was the first quarterback taken).

Will there be better value than a QB at 17? I'd say so, but it all comes down to how long we think Rivers can play at a high level. I'm sure the Broncos didn't think Payton was going to regress like they did. So having the future guy ready might be worthwhile.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
            MasterOfPuppets commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a difference between probability and possibility, besides, Rodgers fell from the potential (expected) 2nd pick to 24 (or something close to that) Rudolph is considered the 6th best QB in this class, if Darnold falls then let's talk

• Gwynning_Spirit
            Gwynning_Spirit commented
            Editing a comment
            A month after the Broncos signed Manning, they passed on Russell Wilson (Rd3), Foles (Rd3), & Cousins (Rd4) to draft Osweiler in the 2nd round. Would they have had the future guy ready if they'd have just picked better?

Looking back on the notes, they actually did a bunch of trading around on that day too. The pick right before Cousins, Denver used the pick they had effectively moved up for with all of their maneuvering to take Omar Bolden.
        • oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I am asking myself this same question that I ask every year at this time:

What makes a guy a Franchise QB?

And the correlary:

Are any of this seasons prospects a franchise QB?

If we can get the Chargers the next Franchise QB, we would be stupid not to draft them this season. However, as we all saw years ago, just because a QB has all the talent in the world, doesn't mean that they are a franchise QB. Leaf had the physical ability and was STILL such a trainwreck that he set the franchise back for 5 or more seasons.

None of the QB in this draft are anywhere near the prospects or physical specimens that Leaf or Manning were back in 1998.

What we need to avoid is the constant reboot that Cleveland and the Jets are in. They keep taking prospects, which for whatever reasons are not a franchise QB. They seem to keep doing it because they "HAVE TO TAKE A QB". As soon as you "HAVE TO TAKE" a player, you are making excuses for why a player is the guy, and you are setting yourself up for a mistake.

The Chargers have pretty clearly set themselves up so they don't have any positions on the must upgrade. I think TT is telling people the truth when he says he doesn't like to draft for need. He has someone to fill in at every spot. We don't HAVE to take any position. THere are just positions we would like to upgrade, but we can afford to just go out and draft the best player available, which is what I think he will do. The problem is that means we probably won't know who that will be, since we don't control that, the teams ahead of us do.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Gwynning_Spirit commented
              Editing a comment
              drafted Jet QB comments?
              I'd only have Petty remarks.

• bonehead
              bonehead commented
              Editing a comment
              That wouldn’t be very Christian of you

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              How do they compare to this years crop? Every year the top prospect gets labeled a "Franchise QB" and often more than 1. History suggests that most of them will not be a franchise player. There is little or nothing to suggest this years crop is any better than most.
          • RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

Its an ideal position to be in. We might not have stars in every position but thats expected. No glaring holes though is good.

Id still like to get Boston back...i think its his mistake if he waits until after the draft as more safeties join the game in the draft and his little leverage decreases.

If they think a QB has great potential to grow into a franchise qb under rivers then id say it isnt farfetched yo draft them this year. If Rivers lasts 5 years at a high level then you have a good problem 2-3 years down the line if you have a cheap young qb that isnt getting starts due to Rivers. Id prefer not to spend a first on a qb but if TT has Rivers input on how many years till hanging cleats up then he can make call. A second or third rounder though for a believed franchise qb is ok with me. Geno isnt a solution and Jones the jury is still out on. Im ok with waiting until next year to draft a qb too.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Panamamike commented
              Editing a comment
              Mostly agree...excpet for the "no glaring weakness". The middle of our front 7 is weak and needs to be addressed. This year and next (maybe best DL draft in a LONG time) may allow us to have a monster DL.
          Working...
          X