• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Wouldn't surprise me if they extend him. Only they will know if he wants to do that but he is playing great and I'm sure they would want to keep him a little longer if they can. He would probably want to play in the new stadium and if so, 2020 is the time to look at his replacement unless he signs a three year extension. I'm thinking a two year extension, then 2020 or 2021.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I dont want the team to have leverage in negotiations. Just give Rivers a market contract. He has never tried to hold them hostage.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• 99PROBLEMS
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Chula Vista
        • OG Raider Hater
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I dont want the team to have leverage in negotiations. Just give Rivers a market contract. He has never tried to hold them hostage.
        Stay Salty.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

I agree with that if we KNOW that Phillip will play that long. But we don't. He could get injured (sign of the cross, spits, spins around 2 times), he could decide to hang it up. We don't know when that will happen. He could decide to come back and THEN get injured.

We Don't Know. Which is why with the lack of teams looking at QB's in the coming draft, I think it makes good sense to look at them this year. We don't know what will happen in 2 years.

2 years ago. Sincerely 2 years ago the Raiders were on their way up, Derek Carr was a "future star" and the Chargers were on their way down (last year of McCoy).

1.25 seasons later, and it's completely flipped. The Chargers (who sucked that year) are one of the most talented teams in the league, and the Raiders are awful.

We don't know. Maximize return.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Rivers is clearing playing at a very high level and has been extremely durable his entire career. There is no reason to think he could not play at a high level for the next 3-5 years, like Brady and Brees are doing. If we spend a high pick on a backup QB, then we aren't addressing other, more pressing needs on the roster weakening the chance of winning now. I totally understand that older players are more susceptible to injury and he could wake up "old" one day and without a solid replacement plan we are screwed. But I still think it is a little too early to draft his replacement.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Keep Rivers from getting hit. Invest in the OL. And Im not opposed to drafting a qb if one falls to them, ala Brees or Rogers. Thats just found money. But I'm not going to go overdraft one high.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

Keep Rivers from getting hit. Invest in the OL. And Im not opposed to drafting a qb if one falls to them, ala Brees or Rogers. Thats just found money. But I'm not going to go overdraft one high.
                  That's what I'm saying.
                  Last edited by Coachmarkos; 10-08-2018, 09:19 AM.
                  "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

He isn't getting very hit much at all last year and this season, even with the makeshift line. He releases the ball very quickly. As long as we don't turn the ball over, we will navigate the schedule until healthier....then look out.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

He isn't getting very hit much at all last year and this season, even with the makeshift line. He releases the ball very quickly. As long as we don't turn the ball over, we will navigate the schedule until healthier....then look out.
                      We've also gone to the super short game to protect him. Almost everything to the backs and 5 yard crossing patterns..
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

We've also gone to the super short game to protect him. Almost everything to the backs and 5 yard crossing patterns..
                        5th in the league in yards per pass thrown. those must all be very successful short passes

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

5th in the league in yards per pass thrown. those must all be very successful short passes
                          One TD to Green was a TE screen and the one to Ekeler was a pass to the flat so two short passes turned into TDs. Which I'm fine with. Nothing wrong with getting some RAC yards.

Comment

Working...
                          X