• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandiego17
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
    Some of youse guys really need to get off the VBrown hate train already. He's our #2 WR- locked in- end of story- period.
    That would suck. Hopefully TT brings in someone to compete for that spot.

Just wish the guy well and expect he'll be greatly improved if he puts in the hard work we expect him to
    Definitely wish the guy well, but prefer the team plans to improve the #2 WR spot. Hopefully they don't sit pat expecting him to improve. What if he doesn't? He couldn't get open last season.

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
      Really? What exactly did he do to lock that spot up? Without the WR injuries Brown would of been 5th
      on the depth chart. Seems like huge stretch to say he's now our undisputed #2 WR, especially after his
      disappearing act last year.
      Well, who on our roster takes the #2 spot from Brown? Floyd? Not likely to be cleared to play or be in a spot to reclaim his spot on the depth chart. DX? Not on the roster at the moment. Tutu? Puh-lease, I love the guy, but he's not going to wrest #2 away from Brown.

At the moment, barring a major FA signing or a high draft pick who plays his way up the depth chart, Brown is locked into our #2 spot.
      Adipose

Comment

• sandiego17
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
        Well, who on our roster takes the #2 spot from Brown? Floyd? Not likely to be cleared to play or be in a spot to reclaim his spot on the depth chart. DX? Not on the roster at the moment. Tutu? Puh-lease, I love the guy, but he's not going to wrest #2 away from Brown.

At the moment, barring a major FA signing or a high draft pick who plays his way up the depth chart, Brown is locked into our #2 spot.
        At the moment yes, but they do need to bring in someone. Based on how he performed, it wouldn't need to be a major FA to beat out last years version of Vincent Brown.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Is Floyd's money guaranteed if he tries to come back and is cut? Versus he gets nothing if he retires?
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Tucker
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
            Is Floyd's money guaranteed if he tries to come back and is cut? Versus he gets nothing if he retires?
            Gotta believe - hope - they'd do some sort of injury/retirement settlement with a guy like Malcom should he decide to retire. But that doesn't rally answer your questions, does it?

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
              At the moment yes, but they do need to bring in someone. Based on how he performed, it wouldn't need to be a major FA to beat out last years version of Vincent Brown.
              Brown got better towards the end of the season. And he was kickass before he broke his ankle. I think there aren't a lot of FA or draft options that would unseat Brown, especially if the year removed helps him return to pre-injury form.

That said, I totally agree they need to bring someone in. And if that someone bumps Brown from #2 to #4 (assuming Royal has a lock on #3), I'm thrilled because that means our WR corps is improved.

(FWIW, I feel that when you have a top QB, as we have in Rivers, WR is the second least important position on offense (after FB). Therefore, I do not prioritize WR over other holes on our team, but I am happy with any improvement of the roster.)
              Adipose

Comment

• Tucker
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Brown got better towards the end of the season. And he was kickass before he broke his ankle. I think there aren't a lot of FA or draft options that would unseat Brown, especially if the year removed helps him return to pre-injury form.

That said, I totally agree they need to bring someone in. And if that someone bumps Brown from #2 to #4 (assuming Royal has a lock on #3), I'm thrilled because that means our WR corps is improved.

(FWIW, I feel that when you have a top QB, as we have in Rivers, WR is the second least important position on offense (after FB). Therefore, I do not prioritize WR over other holes on our team, but I am happy with any improvement of the roster.)
                But Royal is a slot guy; Brown is - at this point in time - our #2 WR. If we draft a WR, than that only drops Brown to #3 (assuming the rookie can beat him out, of course). Or am I being too anal about this here?

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
                  But Royal is a slot guy; Brown is - at this point in time - our #2 WR. If we draft a WR, than that only drops Brown to #3 (assuming the rookie can beat him out, of course). Or am I being too anal about this here?
                  Yes, Royal is our slot guy, and the slot guy is the #3 WR. So if another WR unseats Brown, he pushes him from #2 to #4 *unless* Brown beats out Royal for #3 (and that ain't gonna happen).
                  Adipose

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I think we agree (until the part in parenthesis.) Although I prefer a more bigtime playmaker type brought in, I would be happy if they brought in lesser guys to compete and not anoint Brown the starter. He was bad, I didn't see much consistent improvement, although maybe he was a bit better at the end.

I don't know if I would call him kickass before the injury, but he did show some ability mostly in preseason. I was definitely on the Vincent Brown bandwagon until he laced them up and proved he didn't really belong as a starter. Now I just hope he gets back some of that ability he showed in flashes. Maybe it is just time from the injury? If so, he beats out the guys brought in, which would be great.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

Brown was bumped by Royal last season in 2 WR sets. He's the #2, not Brown.

In reality he's not even in the top 4, with Gates/Green being higher on the pecking order.
                      Last edited by Beerman; 03-04-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Yes, Royal is our slot guy, and the slot guy is the #3 WR. So if another WR unseats Brown, he pushes him from #2 to #4 *unless* Brown beats out Royal for #3 (and that ain't gonna happen).
                        With the understanding of the durability of our wide receivers, #5 is #2 by week 4.

I'm pretty sure Willie Nelson was talking about our wide receiver corps when he wrote, "Last night I came in at 2 with a 10, but at 10 I woke up with a 2."
                        Last edited by thelightningwill; 03-04-2014, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

Let's not forget about Dontrell Inman either! The next great CFL import.

Comment

Working...
                          X