Sproles to be released - bring him back to SD?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Mars
    • Ball Holder
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    Unfortunately he's not a good fit for this team. I really like him and think he still has a lot left but the Saints did the AJ move and released him a year early instead of a year too late.
    Ditto. We already have the hobbit.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
      Eff Sproles?
      Yeah not a fan....
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
        Yeah not a fan....
        Short people got no reason?

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Maybe, but I only reconsider it if other options don't pan out. He is a great change of pace RB and 3rd down guy. But as mentioned, we have that role filled.

Still a good RB, can still help in the return game, some. Most of his ineffectiveness is because of the dreadful blocking on ST by NO. But I never thought he was an outstanding return guy. Too boom or bust. And he is not a natural punt catcher. IF we had him, I would consider pulling him out if we fall behind in a big game a need a boost. And if we can't find a WR who can return KO, he would be OK.

If we exhaust all our options and don't draft someone I would use him as another back, and try and get him some more touches. But I doubt he lasts that long. Some other team will pick him up.

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Sproles is a little better than Woodhead, but we already have Woodhead, so I do not see where Sproles would fit. We need somebody better than Woodhead as a runner to be our #2 RB if Mathews gets injured, which would then give us 3 RBs. My preference would be a big, fast RB.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Waste of a roster spot. We need to upgrade Brown not another player to compete with Woodhead for carries/receptions.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Younger and cheaper. He doesn't fit that philosophy for the Bolt's current retooling project. The Bolts should get a returner in the draft this year.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                  Sproles is a little better than Woodhead, but we already have Woodhead, so I do not see where Sproles would fit. We need somebody better than Woodhead as a runner to be our #2 RB if Mathews gets injured, which would then give us 3 RBs. My preference would be a big, fast RB.
                  Sproles is.
                  Life is.
                  Too Short.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Sproles may have a bit more flashy plays, but I thought Woodead was better than Sproles ever was with us last year. The thing about Woodhead is that he has a knack for moving the sticks and virtually always makes the first guy miss. Sproles had longer runs, but he was tackled on first contact a lot.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      Waste of a roster spot. We need to upgrade Brown not another player to compete with Woodhead for carries/receptions.
                      agree we need to upgrade Brown, but I thought we overused Woodhead at times last year and he seemed to be wearing down near the end. Both Brown and Woody were not the answer on returns. Since we probably won't carry a FB this year, I think a 4 man RB corp of Mathews, Woodhead, Donald Brown, Dexter McCluster would be ideal. Brown would be the rotational guy to give Mathews a breather and fill in as starter if/when 24 is injured & Woodhead would have same role as last year, while McCluster would primarily be the return man and could also take some of the load from Woody or fill in if he is dinged up.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Plus, Woodheads production is not indicative of his overall impact. He drew a lot of focus from LB and extra S in the nickle. If we can get him more room to operate, I think Woodhead would be much more productive, at least on a per catch or per carry basis. And of course, I think it would give the other receivers a chance to be more productive too.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                          Go Aztecs and Pads
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

During the regular season, Woodhead was just as good as Sproles was for us. However, Sproles was a lot bigger in the post season for us and for the Saints.

Comment

Working...
                          X