Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    He wouldn't bring much in trade so I'd be inclined to keep him.
    I would disagree with that, unless we have a different definition of "much". I think he'd command a 1st-round pick, for sure.

Comment

• Charged up
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

If we could get a 2014 first round and mid-round pick I would consider it.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

IMO this season will be a low budget exercise to implement the new direction the team wants to take and see exactly how many of the current pieces mesh well enough to get them there. If the team is horribly un-competitive (regardless of record) and the schemes unworkable due to lack of talent in critical areas- I could see every high contract older player being moved- including Gates, Rivers, Clary, Hardwick, Weddle to clear salary and make way for younger players that fit schemes better. On the other hand, if the team is surprisingly competitive and shows promise- I could see a minor purge with key guys re-signed or contracts re-worked to clear cap space (like Rivers if he shows well).
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charged up View Post
          If we could get a 2014 first round and mid-round pick I would consider it.
          Me too. I know its crazy to let him go, but if you can get more than his value, you have to consider it.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Can you get a player as good as him with a 1st round pick? How many legitimate pro bowl caliber S are there? By my count, not too many. And since S is not a speed position, they tend to last a long time. I don't think Weddle is on his last contract with us.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Can you get a player as good as him with a 1st round pick? How many legitimate pro bowl caliber S are there? By my count, not too many. And since S is not a speed position, they tend to last a long time. I don't think Weddle is on his last contract with us.
              No, but a 1st can be part of a trade up to get a top player. Especially if we are already top 10.

I don't think we'll suck this year, I don't think Rivers will suck this year, I do think the pass rush will suck this year. Will we need to go up higher to get a QB or a pass rusher?

I'm not advocating trading Weddle, but if somebody gives you more than his value, long term its a good deal for the Bolts. Look at the Pats trading Seymour. It looks like a brilliant deal for them now.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I guess I think his value is a lot higher then you do.

I see Seymour as a much different deal. Seymour was a declining player who was being paid a ton, and not ever really worth the value of his contract. Weddle plays a position that is very difficult to fill. There are just so few great S out there. There are not even good S in every draft, although the last couple have been decent. I would want a couple of 1st's at least.

And before anyone says it, no one is going to trade like that for him, yeah they aren't. That's not the point. The point is that it would take a mint to trade our best defensive player, who we might not be able to replace for another decade.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

If someone offered a 2nd for Weddle, I'd laugh in his face. Weddle is a great player and a great community man. I'd hate to lose him.

As an aside, how many great Chargers get drafted as Chargers and retire healthy as Chargers. The last I can remember off the top of my head is Gill Byrd. Dielman went out unwillingly. I loved seeing Godfrey retire healthy, but he was picked up as a FA. Let's face it, this is a league of transients.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    No, but a 1st can be part of a trade up to get a top player. Especially if we are already top 10.

I don't think we'll suck this year, I don't think Rivers will suck this year, I do think the pass rush will suck this year. Will we need to go up higher to get a QB or a pass rusher?

I'm not advocating trading Weddle, but if somebody gives you more than his value, long term its a good deal for the Bolts. Look at the Pats trading Seymour. It looks like a brilliant deal for them now.
                    So trade Weddle for a first and trade that first along with ours for a "top player" who hasn't played a down yet and may end up a bust as so many "top"players in the draft end up being. Uhhhmmmmmm. No thanks. We already have a top player. Weddle is in my mind the best safety in football right now. This is a position that has increasing value in today's NFL with spread sets and multiple pass catching TE sets. Sorry, but this is a BAD idea IMO. I would keep Weddle and our first, especially if it was top 10.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Don't have to look too far... Billy Ray Smith, Jr, who was drafted with Byrd, and retired the same year. Billy Ray didn't make the pro bowl, but was voted onto the 50 year team, (which included Merriman, by the way).

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                        Don't have to look too far... Billy Ray Smith, Jr, who was drafted with Byrd, and retired the same year. Billy Ray didn't make the pro bowl, but was voted onto the 50 year team, (which included Merriman, by the way).
                        And how long ago was that? 20 years? It doesn't say much for continuity.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                          THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                          Generous Donor
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Man I can't wait for training camp to start so crap like this goes away
                          NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

Working...
                          X