• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grinners
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
    No, but a 1st can be part of a trade up to get a top player. Especially if we are already top 10.

I don't think we'll suck this year, I don't think Rivers will suck this year, I do think the pass rush will suck this year. Will we need to go up higher to get a QB or a pass rusher?

I'm not advocating trading Weddle, but if somebody gives you more than his value, long term its a good deal for the Bolts. Look at the Pats trading Seymour. It looks like a brilliant deal for them now.
    So trade OUR top player for a 1st Round Draft pick that might be a top player? Are you one of our previous GM's in disguise?
    No wonder were in decline.............

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Grinners View Post
      So trade OUR top player for a 1st Round Draft pick that might be a top player? Are you one of our previous GM's in disguise?
      No wonder were in decline.............
      Not a 1st rounder, a 1st rounder and more.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Grinners
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

OK I understand what your saying here and it could be worth a gamble if we needed one, but I hope you get my point.......

Comment

• thelightningwill
          Go Aztecs and Pads
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Weddle rules. One of the few players who actually improved after getting a raise. I think he's got better every year he's been a Charger. So, maybe, this year, he'll be even better.

For the record, I thought trading a bunch of draft picks for him was stupid. Then, I thought it was stupid how much we paid him for his latest contract. I was wrong both times.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

This isn't one of the usual baseless rumors started by some loser jounalist. It's started by some guy who wants to see his favorite team (Bears) trade for Weddle because he has some sort of man crush on him. It's not like there is any basis for it.

I can see thinking about ditching a vet who is nearing the end of his useful career. A DL hitting 30. A Wr or DB starting to slow down. But Weddle is 28, which is usually the age most players peak at his position. Many top S continue to play at a high level into their mid 30's. And if he is just reaching his peak, then he is going to be pretty damn good, because he has been the best S in football over the last 2 years. Why get rid of a guy at the top of his game. The trick of trading someone is getting full value when he is past his prime/in decline. Then we can't lose. Even if we can just squeek out value for a decling player. But trading a top guy at a position that is hard to fill (everyone is looking for S) just makes less then no sense. The whole point of the authors article is that he thinks the Bears desperately need a guy like Weddle in the middle of their D, because they can't get one. That should tell you a lot right there.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              Should just delete this thread. What a bunch of nonsense. Trading Weddle is possibly the stupidest thing I've heard.
              I stand by my original assessment after catching up on this thread.

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                I would disagree with that, unless we have a different definition of "much". I think he'd command a 1st-round pick, for sure.
                I don't see him bringing us a 1st round pick myself. Maybe a third.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                  A third huh....do you even watch the games?

In case anyone was wondering Weddle just graded out as the top safety in PFF's Hall of Fame series.
                  The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.

Yes, a third rounder...:smoking:

1. Eric Weddle, SD, 2012: +27.8

Pass Rush: +1.7, Coverage: +14.9, Run Defense: +9.5, Penalties: +1.6

Another big year from Weddle who used 2012 to establish himself as the league’s top all-around safety. Capable of playing the single high role, dropping down into the box or matching up with a tight end, he does more than any stat can state. Grading positively in every area on his way to the top spot in our safety rankings is not easily done.

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

:umno:
                    sigpic

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Totally disagree. Which is all this conversation has left, i.e., agree to disagree.

Comment

• Zot
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                        A third huh....do you even watch the games?

In case anyone was wondering Weddle just graded out as the top safety in PFF's Hall of Fame series.
                        The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.

Yes, a third rounder...:smoking:

1. Eric Weddle, SD, 2012: +27.8

Pass Rush: +1.7, Coverage: +14.9, Run Defense: +9.5, Penalties: +1.6

Another big year from Weddle who used 2012 to establish himself as the league’s top all-around safety. Capable of playing the single high role, dropping down into the box or matching up with a tight end, he does more than any stat can state. Grading positively in every area on his way to the top spot in our safety rankings is not easily done.

Trade?!!! No way!!!!! This is the type of guy you build a team around.

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Zot View Post
                          Trade?!!! No way!!!!! This is the type of guy you build a team around.

Luckily this is the case.

Comment

Working...
                          X