Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Zot View Post
    Trade?!!! No way!!!!! This is the type of guy you build a team around.

would you still feel that way after this year if we go 4-12 and suck badly on both defense and offense this year- making it clear we need a LOT of high picks to restock the roster and we could get a high 1st + more for Weddle?
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
      would you still feel that way after this year if we go 4-12 and suck badly on both defense and offense this year- making it clear we need a LOT of high picks to restock the roster and we could get a high 1st + more for Weddle?
      No. In what world does getting a 1st round pick replace an All Pro in the prime of his career? This isn't baseball where you trade starters for prospects and teams dump salary midseason. Only reason you trade guys in this league is if you can't afford the price tag or if they are going into a FA year where you won't be able to afford the pricetag. Weddle is on a fairly affordable contract for his production. You build around him.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        A third huh....do you even watch the games?

In case anyone was wondering Weddle just graded out as the top safety in PFF's Hall of Fame series.
        The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.

Yes, a third rounder...:smoking:
        I agree with Den60, I'm not sure we can get a 3rd 1st round pick out of another team, either, but to me that is the sort of thing it would take (at a minimum).

I know that's not what he is talking about, but I don't think that many high picks is out of the question. And of the 3 or so high round picks, they would need to be some pretty good ones or multiple 1st rounders in the same year, not just like a late round 1st from some perennial playoff team. Those picks aren't worth nearly enough, IMHO. A team like NE, SF or Baltimore would have to pony up a lot more to get their point values up.

A lot of the best teams like to build up the middle. The idea is that guys in the middle are a lot harder to keep away from, so they are always in the middle of the action. And since getting another good S is tough, if not impossible, building around a top player, in his prime, at a poistion that is hard to minimize their impact, seems like it is a no brainer unless you can get Hershel Walker plus type of compensation.
        Last edited by Steve; 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I agree with Den60, I'm not sure we can get a 3rd 1st round pick out of another team, either, but to me that is the sort of thing it would take (at a minimum).

I know that's not what he is talking about, but I don't think that many high picks is out of the question. And of the 3 or so high round picks, they would need to be some pretty good ones or multiple 1st rounders in the same year, not just like a late round 1st from some perennial playoff team. Those picks aren't worth nearly enough, IMHO. A team like NE, SF or Baltimore would have to pony up a lot more to get their point values up.
          He wasn't saying 3 1st round picks. He said ONE 3rd round pick. Weddle is worth 2 first rounders at a minimum.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

He wasn't saying 3 1st round picks. He said ONE 3rd round pick. Weddle is worth 2 first rounders at a minimum.
            Read the first phrase in Steve's second paragraph.

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

A third huh....do you even watch the games?

In case anyone was wondering Weddle just graded out as the top safety in PFF's Hall of Fame series.
              The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.

Yes, a third rounder...:smoking:

1. Eric Weddle, SD, 2012: +27.8

Pass Rush: +1.7, Coverage: +14.9, Run Defense: +9.5, Penalties: +1.6

Another big year from Weddle who used 2012 to establish himself as the league’s top all-around safety. Capable of playing the single high role, dropping down into the box or matching up with a tight end, he does more than any stat can state. Grading positively in every area on his way to the top spot in our safety rankings is not easily done.
              Watch games? Yes I do.

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Two first rounders? God, you are so far out there we don't even have to worry about re-entry instructions...

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                  Two first rounders? God, you are so far out there we don't even have to worry about re-entry instructions...
                  :jerkit:

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                    I'd rather have a high 1st rounder + a proven starting Left Tackle.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

We already have a proven starting left tackle. However, trading Weddle would definitely improve our chances at picking first in the draft.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                        I'd rather have a high 1st rounder + a proven starting Left Tackle.
                        I'd like a proven starting LT.
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

Please do not touch the Weddle.

Thank you.
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X