Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    Why would they have cut Clary before having a replacement? If Troutman ends up beating Clary out, they surely won't retain him to be a backup at that price tag. Not saying it's likely, but it will be an option. We likely keep them all, but never say never.

The main reason a lot of vets are cut prior to FA is because they have contracts that become guaranteed or include roster bonuses. Clary's contract includes none of those.
    Gehlk basically said Clary is a lock this year- and salary was never mentioned as a determining factor. The guy is a dependable physical player the team loves and we saw what happened with Porkchops starting in his place. Much more likely Rine & Porkchops compete on the Left side to start with loser becoming the backup. Wishful thinking at best (for some) that Clary will be gone.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

A shred of research would have revealed that Cox's contract became guaranteed if he's still on the roster in a few days. Patrick was cut for injury concerns I assume or just being mediocre.
      I dont think you even know what your point is. They could have cut Clary for the same reason as Patrick and saved quite a bit of money, but they didnt. Why? Because they obviously like him. He's not going anywhere.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Also Patrick was our starting nickel. Who is his replacement? The guy who's never played a down? (williams).

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
          Also Patrick was our starting nickel. Who is his replacement? The guy who's never played a down? (williams).
          The same guy that ended the year at nickel - Gilchrist. Do you even watch games?

Comment

• sandiego17
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Makes zero sense to cut Clary now. I agree that the team loves the guy, but if they do find a replacement (or one emerges) and he is not willing to restructure, wouldn't make sense to keep him at his figure, despite loving him. Hopefully they could find a structure that works for both Clary and the team.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
              Makes zero sense to cut Clary now. I agree that the team loves the guy, but if they do find a replacement (or one emerges) and he is not willing to restructure, wouldn't make sense to keep him at his figure, despite loving him. Hopefully they could find a structure that works for both Clary and the team.
              Stop making sense!!

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

What replacement? Clary is one of the leaders of the team. McCoy has singled him out as the type of player they want. It doesn't matter how much you don't like him or how much you think he sucks, the team loves him and they know more about a players ability and what he brings to the table than any one of us. There will be no replacement. If there is, I will be the first to admit what a dumbass I was.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

SD also did not tender former Michigan G Stephen Schilling, who now will be a UFA.
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                    What replacement? Clary is one of the leaders of the team. McCoy has singled him out as the type of player they want. It doesn't matter how much you don't like him or how much you think he sucks, the team loves him and they know more about a players ability and what he brings to the table than any one of us. There will be no replacement. If there is, I will be the first to admit what a dumbass I was.
                    Never once said I don't want him. He was critical to our pass protection improvement last season (his run blocking leaves a lot to be desired though). I'm just speculating based on his cap number which is the 11th highest of all guards in the league. Clearly that's not in line with his production, which while solid, is hardly worth being the 11th highest paid guard in the league.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                      SD also did not tender former Michigan G Stephen Schilling, who now will be a UFA.
                      You missed that Bird wasn't tendered either. Good riddance.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

The_KP_Show: Per my Iphone, Rinehart's deal is for 2 years worth over $6 mil, and $2 mil guaranteed. Sounds like an incentive based deal. Smart, Tom.

Compare that deal to Clary's. Only one of them is out of line with his production.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

You missed that Bird wasn't tendered either. Good riddance.
                          Even as bad as he was Im surprised that they didn't even think he was worth the exclusive-rights free agent tender.

OK, not too surprised, he sucked.
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X