• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

The Chargers accomplished what they hoped before Tuesday's start to free agency.

Their top three impending free agents are back under contract.

Guard Chad Rinehart agreed Monday to a two-year deal, keeping one of free agency's top guards off the market. Inside linebacker Donald Butler and safety Darrell Stuckey signed contract extensions in the past two weeks.

Rinehart arrived in San Diego last year, following offensive line coaches Joe D'Alessandris and Andrew Dees from Buffalo.

He missed about a month to turf toe but started 12 of the 13 games for which he was active, including the postseason. Eight of the 12 starts came on the left side, the other four on the right. Rinehart is considered versatile enough to play center as well.

His return keeps the entire 2013 starting offensive line under contract for 2014. It remains to be seen, however, what becomes of right guard Jeromey Clary, given his cap situation. Clary stands to receive a $4.55 million base salary with a $6.25 million cap hit under his current contract.
    I thought Ghelk thought Clary was a stone cold lock?

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
      I'm still guessing they're work to extend and lower that cap number. He and his agent have to know they don't make that kind of money in FA if released. Or they could gamble that the Bolts won't find an adequate replacement and will be forced to pay him this season.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I'm glad Rinehart is still on board. He's solid, and I do hope he reaches incentives for playing time!

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

Royal restructure: Thumbs up!
          Butler resigned: Thumbs up!
          Stuckey coming back: Thumbs up!
          Rinehart coming back: Thumbs up!

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Patrick was cut for injury concerns I assume...
            On a tangent, I'm amused that I happened to be listening to "Ring My Bell" when I read this.
            Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

chargers: Chad Rinehart on new 2-year contract w/ #Chargers: "I’m excited to be back. This past season was the most enjoyable of my six-year career."

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

with bird gone, it could open up a spot for terrell manning. or jonas mouton. just kidding. not mouton.

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  SD also did not tender former Michigan G Stephen Schilling, who now will be a UFA.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
                  Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

yep he did. It was in that chat transcript I posted last week:

Monday March 3, 2014 11:50 Michael Gehlken
                    11:50 [Comment From Sergio from TijuanaSergio from Tijuana: ]
                    How do see the future playing out for Clary, Johnson, Royal? Which takes a pay cut and which cut outright? Monday March 3, 2014 11:50 Sergio from Tijuana
                    11:56 Michael Gehlken: The Chargers want all three back. Eddie Royal's cost -- $4.5 million cash and cap savings if released -- makes him the least likely to return under his current deal. But I think they'll find a way to retain him at a less prohibitive cost, and all three will ultimately be on the roster in 2014. Clary a real tough guy. Johnson as respected a veteran leader as they come.

NOWHERE has any credible source said Clary is in danger of being released if he does not restructure- but Gehlk did mention that about Royal. So unless you see credible reports Clary is off the team UNLESS he restructures, you can assume he's a lock no matter what, even at current inflated salary. Obviously it would be better for long term prospects for both him and the team if they restructure and I'm willing to bet it WILL happen before TC, but don't expect him to be cut if he doesn't.
                    Last edited by SDFan; 03-10-2014, 12:21 PM.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                      with bird gone, it could open up a spot for terrell manning. or jonas mouton. just kidding. not mouton.
                      Please, we do not need anyone named Manning on our roster!

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I do think, given how various players come into camp, they may be playing for their jobs. Reinhardt and Clary could both be trying to hold off people. I suspect that Troutman will be given a chance to win some playing time, and I could see us drafting an OG to push Clary (or reverse the two). JUst because they bring you back, doesn't mean you have made the roster.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I think Troutman has been given the chance to win some playing time, mucked it up, with the result Rinehardt got a contract (we seem to be carrying a few guys on potential alone... for a while now).

Comment

Working...
                          X