• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    Marshall was the 2nd best CB on this team last year. Them's the facts.
    Which is why the Chargers are in desperate need of at least one CB but probably 2.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
      How does a QB develop while sitting on the bench?
      And, if that's possible, why waste a roster spot for a year just so we can replace our backup QB next season?
      I've always felt the way to develop a young player is to let him sit a year or two and learn from the vet starter. But we're not trying to develop a starter, so that's moot. Sorensen will get plenty of snaps in camps and preseason, and he might get a chance to lead the scout team during the week. Sure, that's not as good as playing, but we're not a farm team for the rest of the league.

Sorensen is a decent prospect, so he would be unlikely to last on our practice squad. But is it really a waste of a roster spot? Do you feel that the roster spot is better spend on a backup OL, LB, TE, or S who will be deactivated on game day? I'd rather use that spot to develop a promising youngster into a solid backup.
      Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that we carried 3 last year (Rivers, CBJ, and Sorensen). The powers that be may not agree with us.

Let's disagree to agree.

Comment

• thelightningwill
          Go Aztecs and Pads
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
          I've always felt the way to develop a young player is to let him sit a year or two and learn from the vet starter. But we're not trying to develop a starter, so that's moot. Sorensen will get plenty of snaps in camps and preseason, and he might get a chance to lead the scout team during the week. Sure, that's not as good as playing, but we're not a farm team fo
          r the rest of the league.

Sorensen is a decent prospect, so he would be unlikely to last on our practice squad. But is it really a waste of a roster spot? Do you feel that the roster spot is better spend on a backup OL, LB, TE, or S who will be deactivated on game day? I'd rather use that spot to develop a promising youngster into a solid backup.
          Let's agree to disagree.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            Marshall was the 2nd best CB on this team last year. Them's the facts. And he might still be the 2nd best we got. Don't know anything about Ghee, Williams has never played, and Butler didn't do much or get to do much last season. So as bad as he was/is, he has a good shot to start in 2014. And Wright gets hurt a lot.

TG
            Gilchrist is in the mix too, but I agree with your point.
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

Let's agree to disagree.
              So you think it's better to use that roster spot on a scrub at another position that will be deactivated each week? Remember, 5 roster players can't play each week.
              Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

So you think it's better to use that roster spot on a scrub at another position that will be deactivated each week? Remember, 5 roster players can't play each week.
                If you put it that way, you might be right.
                Steve asked which position could we dump to make room for an extra tight end. I think we need all the blockers we can get. So I thought going with 2 QBs was a good answer. But, if the 3rd QB spot doesn't count as a roster spot and an extra tight end spot would count as a roster spot, then you are right and I am wrong.

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Send PM

If you put it that way, you might be right.
                  Steve asked which position could we dump to make room for an extra tight end. I think we need all the blockers we can get. So I thought going with 2 QBs was a good answer. But, if the 3rd QB spot doesn't count as a roster spot and an extra tight end spot would count as a roster spot, then you are right and I am wrong.
                  Well, they all count as roster spots. But I'm not sure how the rule changes regarding 3rd QBs work. Anyway, 5 players have to be declared inactive prior to the game, and I would just assume Sorensen be one of those 5 instead of some other position. We'll see what TT does.
                  Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Well, they all count as roster spots. But I'm not sure how the rule changes regarding 3rd QBs work. Anyway, 5 players have to be declared inactive prior to the game, and I would just assume Sorensen be one of those 5 instead of some other position. We'll see what TT does.
                    Okay.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

NFL practices are still helpful for developing QB and getting ready for games. They are a big step up from college.

Comment

Working...
                      X