• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pacstud
    Black Belt Poster
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

I was just saying our record may have been a little inflated. Did we really dominate like a 12-4 team? No.
    We played 14 games same as KC. This argument makes no sense.

We won 13 games, period.

Comment

I think the distinction we need to make here is that our 12-4 record matters very little in the postseason because in my view everyone starts 0-0. Obviously it can give you a better seeding, potential bye week, and home field advantage. But when it comes to the postseason you need to put the regular season behind you. What matters in the postseason is winning every mini Super Bowl until the actual Super Bowl - wild card, division, conference, Super Bowl or division conference, Super Bowl. We've seen the 9-7 Giants beat the 13-3 Patriots, and the 10-6 Giants beat the 16-0 Patriots. It doesn't matter how you get to the postseason, what matters is what you do in the postseason.

So the debate over whether we were a legitimate 12-4 team or not is irrelevant because you can only beat the teams put in front of you and that's what we did last season. Like I said, for me everyone starts 0-0 when it comes to the postseason. Sure better seeding and home field advantage matter, but you are still start from scratch in the postseason.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

OMG...this shit happens every year....First wave of free agency is over, pro days aren't happening fast enough...and sticky news threads get hijacked by inane debates, like whether we are a real 12-4 team....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wish I could fast forward in time to the draft...or at least maybe we could get some juicy developments, (Trades, scandals, etc.) to mull over...

In the meantime, could this go back to being a news thread?

Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

The bottom line is that the record doesn't mean so much.
          The 2017 Chargers could easily have been 11-5 with wins against MIA and at JAX, very winnable games.
          The 2018 Chargers could easily have been 10-6 without lucky wins at KC and PIT.
          IMO, the 2018 edition was much much stronger than the 2017 one.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

We were not a real 12-4 team. A 12-4 team does not get destroyed 41-28 by NE in the playoffs. KC should have beat them in the SB. That was a real 12-4 team.
            You mean the same KC that we beat at their own home? The one that lost to the same Seattle team that we beat? So yeah, get out of here with that nonsense.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Ontario , Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

Bullshit. More bullshit.

You are what your record says, period. We beat KC, though I'm sure you'll say that wasn't "real".

We got our ass whipped by the SB champs in NE.

That doesn't negate the THIRTEEN wins we had.

What's next, we go back to being the best 1-4 team out there?
              Your is. We weren't that dominating IMO. Go back and watch some of our losses to BAL and DEN at home if you have to. DEN a 6-10 team. Is taht 'dominating' to you? And again NE destroyed us. I interpret what is in front of me differently but wave the pompoms either way.
              Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 03-31-2019, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Ontario , Canada
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

You mean the same KC that we beat at their own home? The one that lost to the same Seattle team that we beat? So yeah, get out of here with that nonsense.
                Put whatever rubbish spin you want on last season . IMO we weren't that dominating. If the NE loss isn't convincing, go back and watch our losses to BAL and DEN at home.

DEN a 6-10 team. IMO that isn't 'dominating' but whatever.
                Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 03-31-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

I made this a separate thread. It veered off into a discussion regarding last years record. And it was sort of lost in the free agency thread. I felt it was a good debate going on here.

Cdn Bolt i hope you dont mind brother.

I think this forum software struggles to get these thread breaks correct because of the server switch we made. Everytime i mod a thread that was created on the old server it throws up an error. The good thing is that we only have a few threads that are that way.

Anyways some of the posts in this discussion may me out of order. My bad fellas.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Ontario , Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

We played 14 games same as KC. This argument makes no sense.

We won 13 games, period.
                    Not even sure what your going on about but again IMO we weren't that dominating and we'll leave it at that.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Not even sure what your going on about but again IMO we weren't that dominating and we'll leave it at that.
                      I agree if you are not winning every game at least 35-0 you might as well just quit. This winning games by a touchdown or less is for pretenders. Oh and BTW you never fire someone after 12 wins, the Chargers only fire people after 14 wins.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Ontario , Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I agree if you are not winning every game at least 35-0 you might as well just quit. This winning games by a touchdown or less is for pretenders. Oh and BTW you never fire someone after 12 wins, the Chargers only fire people after 14 wins.
                        A dominating team doesn't lose at home to a 6-10 team IMO.

For the last time too my post was originally in the FA thread and just a discussion of Telesco's overall performance.

Somehow this got morphed into a discussion of our record in 2018. FYI to all I concede there are arguments either way and don't want to belabor this going forward.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

If Rivers does not screw up against Denver, we win the division. How in the fuck is that a bad team?? And if our schedule was soft, so was every team's.

We were not perfect, but we played one play away from taking the division from the Chiefs. In the N-motherfucking-FL. Ask all the loser teams if they had soft schedules.

Comment

Working...
                          X