• Show
Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Billionaire team/corporations/etc don't need taxpayers to help pay for their projects.
    Tax $ should be spent on infrastructure investments in roads/bridges/ports/mass transit/airports/broadband/etc.
    Rich people & companies need to pay their fair share for the opportunity to succeed.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
      Billionaire team/corporations/etc don't need taxpayers to help pay for their projects.
      Tax $ should be spent on infrastructure investments in roads/bridges/ports/mass transit/airports/broadband/etc.
      Rich people & companies need to pay their fair share for the opportunity to succeed.
      Because their products don't help the public at all....................

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Because their products don't help the public at all....................
        If they do then they made a profit, probably excessive at that.

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

The mayor and city council of SD got exactly what they wanted. They were trying to drive the Chargers out of SD for a long time. The real crime was how the cowards tried to blame it on others to deflect what their goal was all along.

Then Scott Kaplan who was barley tolerable when the Chargers were in SD went from being a whiny punk to an insufferable winy punk when they left. I have no love lost for 1090 going off the air. I did like to hear from BR Smith though just could not stand Kaplan.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

If they do then they made a profit, probably excessive at that.
            Yep they created jobs which bring wealth and taxes to your city. You can hate them for making money, but you should like them for bringing jobs and taxes to your community. I guess they should do it for free? And yeah if you want them to stay in your city and bring you more of those jobs and tax dollars you need to realize that you have to step up to the plate or someone else will. I was just in SD and the roads are still crap and there are no Chargers there, great choice.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Yep they created jobs which bring wealth and taxes to your city. You can hate them for making money, but you should like them for bringing jobs and taxes to your community. I guess they should do it for free? And yeah if you want them to stay in your city and bring you more of those jobs and tax dollars you need to realize that you have to step up to the plate or someone else will. I was just in SD and the roads are still crap and there are no Chargers there, great choice.
              Welfare for the wealthy is a good idea?
              Let them pay higher tax rates than their employees, create high quality/paying/quality of life jobs, not abuse the environment, buy politicians, and provide complete healthcare coverage for their employees & their families.
              When that happens the tax base can improve the community infrastructure, educational opportunities, and economic development that enhance the community at large. This provides for better employees, competition, innovation, and progress.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Budsman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Welfare for the wealthy is a good idea?
                Let them pay higher tax rates than their employees, create high quality/paying/quality of life jobs, not abuse the environment, buy politicians, and provide complete healthcare coverage for their employees & their families.
                When that happens the tax base can improve the community infrastructure, educational opportunities, and economic development that enhance the community at large. This provides for better employees, competition, innovation, and progress.
                Because big government is always the answer? Government screws things up, it doesn't fix it. High taxes in California and it still has a budget problem, odd how that works. Its not welfare if the company you help is helping your citizens more than you can (I.E. Creating jobs the government would screw up trying to create) but hey its a good idea to scare away big business, just ask NYC.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Ratings weren't the issue with the tower owner cutting the feed, 1090 has ratings that are better than the other two sports stations. However, BCA (the station owner) can't pay the fee, and the other sports stations are part of very large radio conglomerates. Yeah, the Chargers leaving SD does affect the psyche of those who listened to sports radio; its a reason for lower revenue but there are other factors as well, like the lower overall listenership due to streaming. The tower owner wants more from BCA, and now doesn't want to be partners with them. The other two radio channels run by BCA were from a different owner. Apparently BCA is months behind in payments... what would you do if you owned that tower.

I listened to the new format for a few minutes, and heard an actual live Spanish speaking DJ...I'm not sure if there is a significant market for 80-90's pop in poor audio quality locally, and hopefully the tower owner doesn't sell out to someone wanting to broadcast up to LA like 690 did with a Chinese broadcaster. If you really want to hear the 1090 personalities, you can still stream them.

We really don't need to re-litigate the stadium issue with the use of public funds vs. private, but if you do want to, there is the politics forum.
                  Last edited by Bolt-O; 04-12-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    Ratings weren't the issue with the tower owner cutting the feed, 1090 has ratings that are better than the other two sports stations. However, BCA (the station owner) can't pay the fee, and the other sports stations are part of very large radio conglomerates. Yeah, the Chargers leaving SD does affect the psyche of those who listened to sports radio; its a reason for lower revenue but there are other factors as well, like the lower overall listenership due to streaming. The tower owner wants more from BCA, and now doesn't want to be partners with them. The other two radio channels run by BCA were from a different owner. Apparently BCA is months behind in payments... what would you do if you owned that tower.

I listened to the new format for a few minutes, and heard an actual live Spanish speaking DJ...I'm not sure if there is a significant market for 80-90's pop in poor audio quality locally, and hopefully the tower owner doesn't sell out to someone wanting to broadcast up to LA like 690 did with a Chinese broadcaster. If you really want to hear the 1090 personalities, you can still stream them.

We really don't need to re-litigate the stadium issue with the use of public funds vs. private, but if you do want to, there is the politics forum.
                    But football is like politics.... wait no it's not and I also prefer to keep them separate. Lol. In the end, the people of San Diego spoke and the Chargers did their thing. Right wrong or whatever we all live with the repercussions good or bad.

To your point about one of the factors being streaming, I think that's a big piece of the pie. Many folks and especially the younger generations don't consume radio, but stream different forms of entertainment on demand on their phones etc. Its just changing times and no one can hide from that.
                    Last edited by Budsman; 04-13-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

The mayor and city council of SD got exactly what they wanted. They were trying to drive the Chargers out of SD for a long time. The real crime was how the cowards tried to blame it on others to deflect what their goal was all along.

Then Scott Kaplan who was barley tolerable when the Chargers were in SD went from being a whiny punk to an insufferable winy punk when they left. I have no love lost for 1090 going off the air. I did like to hear from BR Smith though just could not stand Kaplan.
                      Completely agree with your sentiment about Kaplan. The morning show was boring, Darren Smith had great interviews and the afternoon show with Kaplan was virtually unlistenable. Not a huge loss.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Because big government is always the answer? Government screws things up, it doesn't fix it. High taxes in California and it still has a budget problem, odd how that works. Its not welfare if the company you help is helping your citizens more than you can (I.E. Creating jobs the government would screw up trying to create) but hey its a good idea to scare away big business, just ask NYC.
                        corporations screw things up routinely. I recently moved to a new job in the Bay Area. It took me six months to finally set up a doctor with Kaiser Permanente. I tried getting internet service with Xfinity: couldn't accomplish that; something about my new address already having an existing account: they weren't really certain. On the other hand, i lost a refund check from the IRS last Fall. I called them up and they took care of the thing within the time frame they described.

This bit about Governments screwing things up & not being able to put on their pants straight is more slogan than factual when compared to corporate bureaucratic screw ups.

The bit about government (the public) screwing things up trying to create jobs is just flat out wrong. It ignores the key role of the government (federal/state) in the early development of the following industries: aerospace, telecommunications, computers, the internet, electronics, pharmaceuticals,....
                        Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-13-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Budsman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

corporations screw things up routinely. I recently moved to a new job in the Bay Area. It took me six months to finally set up a doctor with Kaiser Permanente. I tried getting internet service with Xfinity: couldn't accomplish that; something about my new address already having an existing account: they weren't really certain. On the other hand, i lost a refund check from the IRS last Fall. I called them up and they took care of the thing within the time frame they described.

This bit about Governments screwing things up & not being able to put on their pants straight is more slogan than factual when compared to corporate bureaucratic screw ups.

The bit about government (the public) screwing things up trying to create jobs is just flat out wrong. It ignores the key role of the government (federal/state) in the early development of the following industries: aerospace, telecommunications, computers, the internet, electronics, pharmaceuticals,....
                          Last edited by Budsman; 04-13-2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X