• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Slated to make what 23M this year? We are around 12M under now? Give him 60 in 2020/21. You are suggesting we use the cap space we have left this year to chip into that 60? Thing is we can just roll over the cap space and use it towards that 30M cap hit next year. Allowing us to save cap space for street free agents if we get injured players this year.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Slated to make what 23M this year? We are around 12M under now? Give him 60 in 2020/21. You are suggesting we use the cap space we have left this year to chip into that 60? Thing is we can just roll over the cap space and use it towards that 30M cap hit next year. Allowing us to save cap space for street free agents if we get injured players this year.
      But why? He's not any cheaper next year. Take the cap hit this year so it doesn't look like you're trying to go cheap on your players. Pay the man now so other players don't see cap money sitting there they can go after. Rivers is the team, pay the man. And I have to repeat that, this team is nothing without Rivers.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

But why? He's not any cheaper next year. Take the cap hit this year so it doesn't look like you're trying to go cheap on your players. Pay the man now so other players don't see cap money sitting there they can go after. Rivers is the team, pay the man. And I have to repeat that, this team is nothing without Rivers.
        Dude im not saying hes not the man. Im saying it makes no difference. If he makes 23 this year and then 60 the following 2 years thats 83M. Wether or not we take some of that 60 and add it to the books this year or not doesnt matter if we can roll over the cap.

If you are suggesting we pay him 60M over 2019/20 and increase his money this year i would ask why? I also dont think it looks like we are trying to go cheap on Rivers.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

The Bolts need to sign Rivers this year to move the cap hit to this year. We have too many good players coming up to let Rivers' money slide into next year.
          I don't think they have much cap space left to do anything this year so we'd have to play games with bonus money.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

The Rivers era will end. It's not like he's delivered trophies. I love him as a guy but he's 15 years in and still gets agitated and panicky at the line. This is your year PR. Get it done now.

Comment

• Budsman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The Rivers era will end. It's not like he's delivered trophies. I love him as a guy but he's 15 years in and still gets agitated and panicky at the line. This is your year PR. Get it done now.
              Last edited by Budsman; 05-29-2019, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I prefer to call that " playing with emotion". The guy is a high emotion player who puts it all out there every time. If he wants to play until he's 50 like Brady as long as he's still putting up PR production. PR isn't the problem and we can do a lot worse than PR, a lot worse.
                Agree, and chances are we will do worse.

We have been pretty spoiled with Rivers and people here will notice when he is gone.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

I don't mind emotion but your leader has to also project calmness and confidence. Rivers doesn't always do that. He makes me nervous. I imagine some of the players get a little agitated as well. We could certainly do a lot worse. Can we do better?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I don't mind emotion but your leader has to also project calmness and confidence. Rivers doesn't always do that. He makes me nervous. I imagine some of the players get a little agitated as well. We could certainly do a lot worse. Can we do better?
                    I think fans are always more nervous than the players. I don't think Rivers ever lacks confidence.

Eli is pretty calm and he isn't as good as Rivers so theres that. Philip is what he is and its what makes him one of the top QBs in the league. We will be hard pressed to do better.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think fans are always more nervous than the players. I don't think Rivers ever lacks confidence.

Eli is pretty calm and he isn't as good as Rivers so theres that. Philip is what he is and its what makes him one of the top QBs in the league. We will be hard pressed to do better.
                      Nobody makes good decisions when they're flustered. Eli is calm, doesn't have PR's all around talent but has 2 rings because he made amazing plays at critical junctures of 2 Super Bowls. Joe Montana was the epitome of calm. Brady is calm. It's an important characteristic. Like I said I love Rivers but it's time

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Nobody makes good decisions when they're flustered. Eli is calm, doesn't have PR's all around talent but has 2 rings because he made amazing plays at critical junctures of 2 Super Bowls. Joe Montana was the epitome of calm. Brady is calm. It's an important characteristic. Like I said I love Rivers but it's time
                        Eli has 2 rings but he isn't as good as Rivers and never has been and didn't play particularly well in either SB win. His defense shut the "calm" Brady down.

It's a team sport. Amazing nobody seems to get that. There are players on that team with Eli that have rings you never heard of, don't mean they are good.
                        Brady has his moments and seen him get flustered often on the sideline and on the field. Seen Peyton go off in his OC on the sideline. Ben apparently is a dick and he has 2 rings so sorry, I don't subscribe to your worries.

IMO it's the fans that worry more about these things than the players. Obviously our coaches dont feel the way you do either.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-29-2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Eli has 2 rings but he isn't as good as Rivers and never has been and didn't play particularly well in either SB win. His defense shut the "calm" Brady down.

It's a team sport. Amazing nobody seems to get that. There are players on that team with Eli that have rings you never heard of, don't mean they are good.
                          Brady has his moments and seen him get flustered often on the sideline and on the field. Seen Peyton go off in his OC on the sideline. Ben apparently is a dick and he has 2 rings so sorry, I don't subscribe to your worries.

IMO it's the fans that worry more about these things than the players. Obviously our coaches dont feel the way you do either.
                          oh i get that it's a team sport and we've had super bowl worthy teams in Rivers era. But we haven't gotten there for a myriad of reasons. Neither of us know how the coaches feel but Lynn made it a priority to get Rivers from trying to do too much and cut down on mistakes. We obviously don't have a better option on the team and may or may not for years after Rivers retires. But Rivers will have to be replaced and I'm sure it's on TT's mind or he wouldn't have used a 5th on Easton Stick.

Rivers made some great plays in crunch time last year especially at Pittsburgh and KC. He also had a major brain cramp at home against Denver that may have cost us that game.

Comment

Working...
                          X