• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
    Okay, someone has to make the " cousin" connection for me.
    Herb Adderley is 80 years old. How is this 21 year old his cousin? Are we talking 3rd cousin?
    Its in the thread, but it appears Herb is Nasir's grandfather's first cousin . so he's "twice removed"

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Agreed...SMH.

For years I have obsessed on Oline replenishment, and been deflated.

Since I can tell you exactly when-- the day Dielman retired.
      And ironically, Dielman was an UDFA defensive lineman out of college. Have Chargers drafted a stud OL in the last 20 years? Hardwick maybe? That's all I got. McNeill was good but played a short career.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

And ironically, Dielman was an UDFA defensive lineman out of college. Have Chargers drafted a stud OL in the last 20 years? Hardwick maybe? That's all I got. McNeill was good but played a short career.

TG
        Sad but true Heatmiser.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post

he is a great value at 60. I like how he fits in our scheme. My only concern is his play rec. And the level of comp he played had terrible qb play. Again i like him. I cant wait to see how training camp goes for him. After training camp my nerves on him will either be gone, or will worsen if rivers just exposes him. Idk of that makes sense.
          He did play well at the Senior bowl so there's that.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Dp you think the defensive players we added today and yesterday could help us keep joey?? I know his family and agent were alil mad about the rookie hold out. Do u think adding the fs we desperately needed and a dt who can push the pocket will make bosa want to stay?? Or does everyone still think joey is gonna walk on us??
              I think Bosa will be the beneficiary of those new players and the team will profit. His production/impact may get so high that he prices himself out of our market, but the Chargers aren't a cheap organization. They tend to pay a few premier players, and Bosa falls into that category. What they refuse to do is overpay player just to keep them, which is why we don't have a big part in FA.

We also don't play the game like some other teams do. Teams like Denver and Dallas, are perfectly willing to write contracts that players are definitely not going to see the end of. They write off the dead money as the price of doing business.

I think we have a good chance of resigning Bosa, but it is going to be tough, especially with the QB situation.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                I'd have taken Thornhill over Adderly but I still like the pick. Both close in comparison but think Thornhill better at ballhawking.
                However, now I hope Adderley is a pro bowler and DROY
                I would have been happy with Thornhill as well. I just think Adderly fits Bradley's scheme better. And that may be his other knock as well, that he's too scheme specific compared to Thornhill. But he'll give Derwin the freedom to move around a lot more at the single high position.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Dp you think the defensive players we added today and yesterday could help us keep joey?? I know his family and agent were alil mad about the rookie hold out. Do u think adding the fs we desperately needed and a dt who can push the pocket will make bosa want to stay?? Or does everyone still think joey is gonna walk on us??
                  I know you're talking to Steve but the only thing keeping Joey here is the money. Even if we had managed to draft his brother, he would still leave if he didn't get paid.
                  Last edited by Xenos; 04-27-2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                    think that was my big hang up w/Tillery was that I was under the impression that he lacked in run D ?? along w/you (Steve) and plenty o' other pundits (is that a fair statement ? apparently they like Tillery against the run ??

and neither had I heard that 'bout sacks in relation to the win column, as was under the impression otherwise, that sack stats/totals were overrated ??
                    Tillery has some problems against the run. He is so tall, that blockers can get under him. His hand use is also not always great, so he has trouble disengaging sometimes. These are fixable problems. Most college DL have at least one of these issues, and most have both.

The other thing to remember is that we have Giff Smith. He is among the best, if not the best DL coach in football. We just added La'Roi Glover as our new assistant DL coach (the Rams hired our old assistant to be their DL coach), a former pro bowl DT as a 3 technique, who was undersized but had perfect technique to compensate. He made 6 pro bowls and had double-digit sacks twice. We are well positioned to help make Tillery into a great player. The DL meeting room is full of very motivated and competitive players. They work very hard and are focused on doing all the things it takes to prepare and be great. Mebane especially is a great guy to have for Tillery to pick his brain.

Sacks are somewhat overrated in the sense that the correlation is stronger for pressures than it is for sacks itself. If you pressure the QB even if you don't get sacks, the QB is forced to get rid of it forces them into bad decisions, poor accuracy, throwing to covered guys and hopefully some turnovers. NE regularly gets a lot of pressures, but I can't recall them getting a lot of sacks. But because they pressure the QB into mistakes, they get the benefits of a strong pass rush. If you don't pressure NFL QB they eat you alive. No pass coverage is strong enough to cover all day long.

Then add in some sacks are more valuable than others. If we hit a guy for a 10-yard lass, they lose a down and now have 10 extra yards to go. Makes it very hard to convert the 3rd down If the QB climbs the pocket and almost gets away, but gets hit right at the line or for a 1-yard loss, it hurts, but you can overcome that a lot more easily.

The number of pressures a player gets is pretty stable from year to year. Unless the player misses a lot of time, they will tend to get a similar number of pressures. The sack numbers fluctuate a lot from year to year. One thing that helps that though is being able to rush the QB from multiple positions, inside and outside. All those "almost" sacks that Bosa might miss will go to Ingram, Nwosu or Tillery. Then Bosa will get the "almost" sacks that the others miss.

So, pressures is the better way of looking at pass rush, but if we can have Tillery drive the QB back into Bosa, Ingram and Nwosu coming off the edge, they will get more sack loss yardage and that will have a bigger impact then the "little" sacks when Bosa or Ingram "catch the QB from behind and only get a couple yards for loss. Both are good, but the bigger loss is better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                          And they passed on Andrew Whitworth for McNeill, who went several picks later in that round.

Comment

Working...
                          X