• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    Sounds like a great young man. Very happy to have him.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

And they passed on Andrew Whitworth for McNeill, who went several picks later in that round.
      McNeill looked like the better pick at the time. He was a starting LT while Whitworth was only a starting LG. And then things happen and you know the rest.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

The future....

PFF view

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

I just can't wait to see him next to James. That is scary safety combination.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Coming from Delaware, I expect NA to take a bit of time to adjust to the pros, maybe even have Watkins starting at FS week 1, but the safety combo potential is limitless

top 5 defense potential
            G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

This is one heck of a D. Maybe the Bolts best D ever. And its better next year after a year together.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Perfect fit for Bradley's scheme:
                This year, in particular, team and scheme fit is important because there weren’t a lot of scheme-transcendent prospects in the draft.

9. Nasir Adderley, S, Los Angeles Chargers (No. 60 overall pick)

Play style: Single high safety with man-to-man coverage capabilities.
                Team scheme: Seattle-style cover 3/1 scheme.
                Last year, the Chargers drafted Derwin James, who went on to win PFF's Defensive Rookie of the Year. James was spectacular all over the field but mainly played strong safety. To complement James, the Chargers drafted Adderley in the second round. Adderley is a small-school product (Delaware) and solidified his status as an early-round draft pick at the Senior Bowl.
                Adderley has the range and instincts to play in the middle of the field but also has the man-to-man coverage skills to match up with tight ends and some receivers. James also has man-to-man capability. Adding two players with this kind of versatility gives defensive coordinator Gus Bradley a lot of flexibility to be creative and makes it much harder for offenses to exploit mismatches. These two could be one of the best young safety tandems in the league.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                  Day One...
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Brentwood, 94513
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  Coming from Delaware, I expect NA to take a bit of time to adjust to the pros, maybe even have Watkins starting at FS week 1, but the safety combo potential is limitless

top 5 defense potential
                  Ive always wanted to see Jenkins in that spot from week 4 of last year, but I guess he can't do it. I thought anyone other than Addae would work.

This defense will only get better. Hope we have enough to finally get it done.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Chargers' Adderley, a rookie with a big legacy, can lay out like Mays

play

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- Los Angeles Chargers defensive backs coach Ron Milus can point to the play when Nasir Adderley, the team's second-round pick out of Delaware, grabbed his attention. It's when the rookie safety with ties to the Pro Football Hall of Fame looked like a Hall of Famer from a different sport.

It's late in the second half of a win over the University of Richmond when Adderley sprints deep down the field and makes an acrobatic, diving catch for an interception.

"It's a pump fake," Milus says, "the guy does a double move and he starts down the middle of the field. The ball goes down the middle of the field and he makes a lay-out-flat, over-the-shoulder catch -- the kind that Willie Mays used to make.

"That was probably the one that showed us, 'OK, this guy's got real ball skills. He can make the unusual catch.' I thought that was pretty unique for most players at that level of play."

The Chargers have not had a true, ball-hawking free safety since Eric Weddle left in free agency before the 2016 season. Milus believes that Adderley, who prefers to go by Nas, can help the Jack Boys take the ball away more in 2019. The Chargers had just 13 interceptions last season after finishing tied for first with 18 in 2016.

Adderley believes landing with the Chargers, where he can pair with second-year strong safety Derwin James, was the perfect fit.

"Man, it's incredible," Adderley said about playing with James. "We can be one of the best safety duos in the league. I can promise you that." Nasir Adderley totaled 264 combined tackles, 11 interceptions and 24 pass deflections while at Delaware. Ben McKeown/Icon Sportswire
                    Not so fast, says Milus. Adderley, who will participate in the team's rookie minicamp May 10-12, will have to earn the starting job first, competing with incumbent Rayshawn Jenkins and Jaylen Watkins.

"Let's let these guys grow up," Milus said, pumping the brakes. "I'm not even going to go there. But I like the potential of these two, young players that hopefully can grow together, and be a nice little tandem for the future."

A four-year starter at Delaware, Adderley totaled 264 combined tackles, 11 interceptions and 24 pass deflections. He spent his first two seasons at cornerback and the past two at safety.

Although he played at a small school, Adderley impressed during Senior Bowl week. He was named a North team captain, finishing with a pick and five tackles in a 34-24 win over the South.

"He's a ball hawk, a playmaker," Chargers cornerback Casey Haywardsaid. "At this level that's what you need -- a guy who can cause turnovers, get extra possessions for the offense and I think we have a lot of those guys on this defense.

"Hopefully, he can come in right away and do the same thing he did in college."

Milus said his first exposure to Adderley was after the NFL scouting combine. Milus attended Adderley's pro day and was scheduled to work him out, but that was canceled after Adderley suffered a hamstring injury running the 40-yard dash.

Instead, the Chargers had Adderley in for a pre-draft visit, where he impressed the coaching staff.

"This kid is his own man," Milus said. "He's self-made. He decides he's going to go to Delaware and he makes himself into one of the top safeties in the draft. I would think that when he takes this next step, he will have the same work ethic that he did at Delaware, bring that here and hopefully that will be enough to make him one of the better safeties at this level." Herb Adderley totaled 48 interceptions and five Pro Bowls during his 12-year NFL career. Fred Roe/Getty Images
                    One person familiar with Adderley's journey to the NFL is Pro Football Hall of Famer Herb Adderley.

Nasir's grandfather, Nelson, is the first cousin of Charles Adderley, the father of the former Packers' and Cowboys' great.

Nelson Adderley, who played at Ohio State and in the Canadian Football League, served as his grandson's mentor through adolescence. So much so that when Nelson Adderley died at age 65 in 2008 while Nasir was in high school, the younger Adderley had the date tattooed on his arm.

It was after his grandfather passed that Nasir reached out to connect with Herb Adderley. And the older Adderley has served as a mentor ever since, holding regular conversations and sharing texts.

Herb offered Nasir a list of 25 things that would help him later in life, from having a respect for God and respect for his mother to how to train and handle himself on the field.

"He's helped me tremendously, even just going from high school to college," Nasir said about Herb Adderley. "Just being a positive role model for me. I don't know where I would be without him. His support just has meant the world to me."

Adderley totaled 48 interceptions and five Pro Bowls during his 12-year NFL career with the Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys, winning three Super Bowls.

A natural safety that moved to cornerback in the NFL, Herb Adderley says he sees some similarities in the way he played with the younger Adderley.

"The first time I saw him on video I thought, 'Man, he looks so much like me,'" said Adderley, now 79. "Just his body build and the way he moved, his mannerisms. I knew right then and there that he had the potential, if he had his grades up, to get into some college somewhere."

2019 NFL OFFSEASON COVERAGE

Catch up on the draft: | |
                    Catch up on free agency: |
                    |
                    "We talk often. We text and we talk by phone. The only thing I tell him is now that he knows where he's going, he knows what he has to do. He has to continue to work hard. The main thing I tell him is keep his body in shape and stay in the best physical condition possible. He's a good kid. I appreciate him and I couldn't have treated my son any better because he listened to what I had to tell him. I just told him what it was going to take, and he followed everything I told him, and went beyond what I told him to do."

Nasir Adderley saw the older Adderley's bust at the Pro Football Hall of Fame when he took a trip with his little league football team as a youngster, finding motivation in seeing his last name in Canton.
                    "The first thing he did was to go over and look at the busts until he found mine," Herb Adderley said. "He said he was just overwhelmed to be there and see the Hall of Fame in Canton, and what it takes to get there. He said he saw mine, saw the name on there and just got a feeling that's hard to explain. He thought to himself, 'I sure would like to be there and have my bust next to his.'"

The older Adderley said he'll be watching more Chargers' games this season, but won't be rooting for them when the Packers travel west to Los Angeles for a Week 9 contest with the Bolts.

"I'm a Chargers' fan, except when they play the Packers," joked Adderley. "On that day I won't be a Chargers' fan."

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• boltfanseattle
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post

Ive always wanted to see Jenkins in that spot from week 4 of last year, but I guess he can't do it. I thought anyone other than Addae would work.

This defense will only get better. Hope we have enough to finally get it done.
                      Rayshawn seems a little slow to me. I would go with Watkins over him. Better coverage S IMO. But they could be SS and FS backups for Derwin and Nasir, if they keep both.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

.@NasirAdderley speaks to the media following day one of rookie minicamp.

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Milus breaking down Nas and why the Bolts coveted him so highly.

Chris Hayre sits down with Defensive Backs coach Ron Milus to look at college film of Safety Nasir Adderley.

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X