• Show
Clear All
  • Cdn Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Ontario , Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Idiots may look at it, it just is the least important quality. Plenty of guys with really long arms are horrible fucking turnstiles.
    That isn't true and it isn't the only requirement. Most tackles are 6'5 + w long arms and there is a reason for it. I had an article on O line requirements I can't find now that listed it as a key trait Either way we'll leave it there

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

The arm thing is true. Read the damn article.
      In a guest column Nate Washuta looks at the age-old question of what effect arm length actually has on OT play.

The reason that most NFL Tackles are over 6'5" is that most teams still are as blind as you are and buy into that shit, even though it does make a fucking difference. There are plenty of guys who are shorter and have shorter arms and do just fine.

The other thing that proves it is bullshit is how many times do NFL players truly have their arms locked out? Most of the time, their arms are still bent when they make contact. So, they aren't using the full reach anyway.

If there is a height thing that is important, it is the legs. You have to bend your legs at the knee and get a wide base. And since OL are not the fastest or even quickest players, they need to be cover a fair amount of steps in a more limited number of steps. If they have to take a ton of really little choppy steps, the DL is going to beat them to the corner.

This is one of those stupid biases that Moneyball was trying to overcome in baseball. Find the stupid, idiot biases that have no basis in fact and get rid of them. This is one of them.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Long arms. Narrow shoulders...what's the other thing?

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post

Then why not just draft a olinemen in acouple of years like were doing with qb for rivers??? A 3rd pick should be a player that has a good chance of contributing
          A late first round tackle in two years also will need a year. This guy might need 3 years - same result.

Okung/Tevi might get injured and then they'll be in a big hole.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Ontario , Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The arm thing is true. Read the damn article.
            https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...affect-ot-play

The reason that most NFL Tackles are over 6'5" is that most teams still are as blind as you are and buy into that shit, even though it does make a fucking difference. There are plenty of guys who are shorter and have shorter arms and do just fine.

The other thing that proves it is bullshit is how many times do NFL players truly have their arms locked out? Most of the time, their arms are still bent when they make contact. So, they aren't using the full reach anyway.

If there is a height thing that is important, it is the legs. You have to bend your legs at the knee and get a wide base. And since OL are not the fastest or even quickest players, they need to be cover a fair amount of steps in a more limited number of steps. If they have to take a ton of really little choppy steps, the DL is going to beat them to the corner.

This is one of those stupid biases that Moneyball was trying to overcome in baseball. Find the stupid, idiot biases that have no basis in fact and get rid of them. This is one of them.
            It was not the 'least ' important quality. There was an article where real scouts were saying it was a desirable feature. You can believe any shit you want That article is by some football blogger who admits he didn't control for other factors like age, height strength so take that bs w a grain of salt lol.
            Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 04-27-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I would not have reached for a tackle, I'd have taken the BPA as in the long run that is a much better strategy than drafting for position. I am quite confident that Pipkins was not the highest rated player by just about everyone at that spot.
              But...Pipkins does have some nice ability and upside at a big PON...I like this pick...he did get an invite to the Shrine game...and you have to be a decent player just to get invited...in the practice he easily handled some big name D-linemen and got a lot of attention...

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

In round 5, we could use another CB for depth and development...Corey Ballentine, anyone?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                  My guess...is the Chargers are not drafting Pipkins in bottom of rd 3 if they gave him a 5th or 6th rd grade.

Chargers supposedly had 15-18 players with 1st rd grades. How many were 2nd rd grades? Maybe its 20-25 players. 3rd rd? Maybe 25-30 players.

Could be Chargers board only had for rds1-3. A total of 75 players.

Adderly was he a 2nd rd grade?
                  Perhaps he was 3rd rd grade and all the 2nd rd graded were gone and they took their top 3rd guy.

Maybe the same thing with Pipkins.
                  They had 4th rd grade, but he was their top prospect at #91. Because all 75 prospects rated 3rd and above were gone.

Pipkins has the typical profile for the position.
                  Chargers clearly think he just needs the weight room and nfl coaching and practice to unlock the potential.
                  Telesco track record on getting the potential out of o-line drafted players has not been great.
                  I say they are due to hit eventually. Hopefully Pipkins will be that guy.

Nice article.

I was concerned about him not starting at Sioux Falls until his junior season

Now i know he had a large growth spurt in high school and he needed to gain weight.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Burr-Kirven just went to the Seahags...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

It was not the 'least ' important quality. There was an article where real scouts were saying it was a desirable feature. You can believe any shit you want That article is by some football blogger who admits he didn't control for other factors like age, height strength so take that bs w a grain of salt lol.
                      fluker's arm length is off the charts.

i have zero concern about that.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Round 5 CB Clusta:

Orowariye
                        Ballentine
                        Boyd
                        Saivion Smith

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

fluker's arm length is off the charts.

i have zero concern about that.
                          Yep...Fluker arm length is 36 3/4...didn't seem to help much when he was with us...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ker?id=2540166

Comment

Working...
                          X