• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Let TC decide. Just saying, we got a lot of OL who have not earned the right to feel secure.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Ontario , Canada
      • Send PM

It seems they have always gotten cute w drafting OL prospect reaches and hoping they developed. Has never worked. Courtney van Buren, Johnie Troutman and the busts at C too come to mind. Not sure if it is AJ holdover scouts or the Spanos meddling.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

think that scouting dept needs some new youngbloods.... out w/ye olde AJs and in w/some visionary young men.
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Bolts223
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

If you were the GM of an NFL team and you needed a OT, and Tevi was a FA, would you sign him? Right now, gotta be a toss up who starts, Tevi or Pipkins.
          I would not sign Tevi. At least not to be a starter.

Personally I think they should sign Jeremy Parnell to be the starting RT and cut Tevi. (PFF gave Parnell a grade of 65.3 vs Tevi's 53.7)

He wouldn't be that expensive, and he's a fairly significant upgrade at the position.

Pipkins can be depth this year while he develops his skills and would hopefully be ready to take over in a season or two.
          Last edited by Bolts223; 05-02-2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
            Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
            • Jun 2013
            • Palm Springs
            • I know nothing
            • Send PM

Good FA left tackles are very expensive so Chargers are trying the DIY approach. I don't think he was ever meant to be a right tackle.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Not uncommon for a rookie OT to play on the right, until the starting OLT moves on. This is almost textbook timing for when Okung's contract expires.

Comment

• Bolts223
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
                Good FA left tackles are very expensive so Chargers are trying the DIY approach. I don't think he was ever meant to be a right tackle.
                I don't think it would be that expensive to sign a Parnell/Schraeder right now.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
                  It seems they have always gotten cute w drafting OL prospect reaches and hoping they developed. Has never worked. Courtney van Buren, Johnie Troutman and the busts at C too come to mind. Not sure if it is AJ holdover scouts or the Spanos meddling.
                  Buren and Tuerk were third round picks. Troutman, on the other hand, was only a 5th. We'll see about Pipkins. I don't know if he's a reach after doing some more research. He's more raw than the others but has more upside, and therefore didn't develop as many bad habits as the other OT left on the board. Some analyst, like Dan Brugler, thought he was drafted exactly where he should be (a bottom 3rd round pick). He just needs to stay healthy so that we can actually see if he has anything.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts223 View Post

I don't think it would be that expensive to sign a Parnell/Schraeder right now.
                    We'll see what happens as the year progresses then. It's not like Lynn ist afraid to call someone out and get someone better. It's what happened with Barksdale essentially. The coaching staff must feel confident that he can improve from his first year starting.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
                      This. Trey is a non factor this year.
                      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

15. TREY PIPKINS | SIOUX FALLS | #78 | rSR | Apple Valley, MN | 09.05.96 (age 22.6) | 6061 | 309 | EWS | 4th RD | 7.7 | Sportstars

HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 6061 309 3378 958 8148 5.12 2.98 1.75 33.5 9-6 4.70 7.61 16

OUTLOOK: Blessed with prototypical size and athleticism, Pipkins dominated at the DII level and was one of the standouts during the week of East-West Shrine Game practices after he flashed some rare movement skills. He finished third in voting for the Gene Upshaw Award (Top D-II Linemen) as a senior. He oozes potential and his versatility to play multiple positions will endear him to a coaching staff in search of a potential swing man to start out in year one, as he could be a valuable backup until he evolves into a full-time starter.

PROS: Possesses excellent size and length, combined with tremendous athletic ability. Quick to beat his opponents to the spot and does a great job of initiating contact on his quick sets. With experience playing both tackle and guard, he has been credited with 146 career knockdowns, including 95 as a junior, according to the school's website. Also played basketball, in addition to track and field in high school. He is a sudden mover with enough lateral explosion to go out and deal with wider techniques.

CONS: The level of competition is his biggest knock, playing at the DII ranks but he did prove his ability in the Shrine Game practices. He'll need to bulk up and get stronger, but there's plenty of room to fill out his frame, especially his upper body. Technique is still a bit raw and he will need some coaching up. Placement needs to be moved inside and his consistency in pass sets has to be addressed.

Q&A: TREY PIPKINS | SIOUX FALLS

How did your recruiting process work?

I grew pretty late in high school. I grew in my junior year of high school. I was 5-foot-11 before that. I hit a pretty big growth spurt. So I wasn't really highly recruited. Sioux Falls was my only offer coming out of high school.

Are you a nasty player?

Absolutely. Actually my current offensive line coach Wardenburg helped me out a lot with that. He pushed me in that aspect of my game a lot. My junior and senior year I think you can see it on the film.

What like to play in the Shrine game?

It was awesome. It was a great opportunity - the biggest opportunity to show what I can do since playing football. It was unbelievable. Coach Phil, our offensive line coach was amazing with me, especially one thing they showed in college was using my hands really well and that's something he's big on and has been helping a lot with that, yeah just showing me the importance of using long arms and using your hands and its been a big help."

When did the idea that you could be here set in?

My redshirt year I was 240 pounds during the season, I was going to workouts and wasn't dressing for games or anything like that. But during practices,
                        I was doing really well and after the season I met with my offensive coordinator at the time and my offensive line coach for an exit interview. They were like, you know with your athleticism and size and your measurables, if you put some weight on and gain some strength, that's a real opportunity for you. That's in my mind when it became the goal.

How would you describe your style of play?

Good question, athletic good feet I use my feet to m y advantage but I need to get stronger in my upper body

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

This. Trey is a non factor this year.
                          It's probably better that he be a non factor this year. The old Chargers would throw him in there right away - ready or not.

Comment

Working...
                          X