• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Can't be worse than clipboard Jesus whom we flipped picks from the Seahawks.
    Yep. Good old Whitehurst...at least he was a slight upgrade over Kordell...

image.jpeg

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

So far? He has played a quarter and a half in preseason against Arizona's 3rd string. They won't rely on one guy from the 5th round.
      Lets see how he does but can't see them resting their laurels on him, at least not at this point.
      Yep...as they say in good 'ole Loo-ziana, "now son, don't take yer shoes off, 'till ye get to the crick!"

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

His college play factors, as I think it translates very well to the pros. Plus love those intangibles.

High hopes, sure, but yeah time will tell.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

The best part of Stick is he is making the 2nd half of Charger preseason games fun again. I don't care if they don't score tons and tons of points, but at least move the ball and give the backups some work. The points would be nice, but moving the ball is the key. It gives us a real look at everyone on the offense.

I Cardale was a decent enough flyer, but the experiment didn't work out. A talented guy who couldn't play QB at the NFL level. Offensive possessions in the 2nd half of games were brutal with him. Too many 3 and out's.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The best part of Stick is he is making the 2nd half of Charger preseason games fun again. I don't care if they don't score tons and tons of points, but at least move the ball and give the backups some work. The points would be nice, but moving the ball is the key. It gives us a real look at everyone on the offense.

I Cardale was a decent enough flyer, but the experiment didn't work out. A talented guy who couldn't play QB at the NFL level. Offensive possessions in the 2nd half of games were brutal with him. Too many 3 and out's.
            It just reinforces my thought that you have to come out of college with an accurate arm. It has to be natural. Throwing with accuracy when under pressure is something you have or you don't.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

F21, I think we are along similar thoughts.

I think dealing with pressure is something you do well, or you don't. The exception being once a player really understands an offense they play faster and can go to 2nd and 3rd options more quickly. But generally speaking, a player who goes to pieces under pressure will continue to go to pieces under pressure. I wouldn't necessarily say Jones goes to pieces, but he doesn't handle it too well. Stick looked like he saw the opportunity in the play. Great QB see blitzes as big play chances and a couple of his best plays were vs blitzes, including his TD run.

The accuracy thing as far as throwing accuracy gets better with time. Most rookies struggle with downfield accuracy, and it gets better with time. Some guys do it better and then become elite, some guys suck at it and become OK. But keep throwing long enough, everyone gets better at it.

Jones sucks because he holds the ball too long and then he waits for his receviers to break open. THen the window closes, so no matter how accurate he is, he isn't really throwing to an open recevier.

Stick missed some throwing windows, but he had a couple of nice passes and got plays out on time, where they were supposed to be. They would be better if the guys around him played better, but that's not his fault. He made the big plays vs the blitz and kept the ball moving when he was in. In preseason, with 3rd and 4th string players, it is hard to do much more. Hopefully he proves me wrong and does even better this week.

But I loved how Stick stepped up and played his best snaps after the int. He shook it off and didn't let it drag him or his teammates down. That is leadership.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Steve, you nailed Cardale/Kordell. Even in college, he would wait for receivers to break open and then throw. Sometimes, due to his phenomenal arm strength it would work out. Most times, it did not. That is why he got benched after the year OSU won the national championship. He has lots of physical talent but just can't put it together and I think he has had enough time and plenty of chances. Time to move on.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I hate the thought of keeping Jones, but he totally outplayed Stick today.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    I hate the thought of keeping Jones, but he totally outplayed Stick today.
                    Sure did. Stick didnt look good today.
                    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Lynn to Stick. Please suck today so we can PS you.

Mission accomplished.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Did they both play behind the same o line today?

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Not really sure that matters as all our OL pretty much suck. I mean we have like 2, maybe 3 decent starting quality OL, maybe a couple more could reasonably be backups. Just really sad. Jones showed more poise today than he has his entire career, seemingly. And Stick looked like a solid PS guy.

Comment

Working...
                          X