• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Maybe its just me, but from rounds 4-7, the players all look the same to me, except for the occasional faller.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

The 2019 NFL draft is officially behind us.

We have spent the last week evaluating and grading the draft class as a whole, but now the attention is going to be specifically towards the individual players themselves as rookie minicamp is upon us.

Chargers general manager Tom Telesco has had a knack for finding Day 3 gems, whether it's linebackers Kyzir White and Jatavis Brown or cornerback Desmond King.

This year's haul brought some promising players, but the one who has a chance to contribute in a huge way, outplay his draft slot and be the notorious late-round gem is seventh-round pick Cortez Broughton. EmailSign up Like this article?

Sign up for the Chargers Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

Addressing the interior part of the defensive line was one of the main focuses coming into the draft. Los Angeles took DT Jerry Tillery right off the bat with its first-round selection and waited until its last pick to snag Broughton.

Broughton was seen as a fifth- or sixth-round prospect throughout the pre-draft process. It's obvious that the league thought differently on him than many media pundits, given has actual draft spot.

A four-year starter for the Bearcats, Broughton played up and down the defensive line over his college career. The first couple seasons were puzzling because he primarily played off the edge, which for him appeared to be out of position and the statistics showed.

Thanks to a defensive scheme change in his senior year, Broughton broke out as an all-conference defensive tackle in 2018. He topped his personal career-best marks in tackles for loss (18.5) and sacks (7.5). The former Cincinnati product then proceeded to shine at the East-West Shrine Game, which is where he caught the attention of the Chargers' scouts.

A combine snub, Broughton didn't have the opportunity to showcase that in front of the copious amount of scouts. Instead, he waited until his school's Pro Day. He didn't disappoint, amassing a 4.98 40-yard dash, 1.77 10-yard split, 33.5-inch vertical, 113-inch broad jump, 7.65 three-cone drill and 4.57 short shuttle.

That athleticism was evident on film. The name of the game for the 6-foot-2 and 290-pound defensive tackle is his powerful first step. He is quick off the snap to penetrate through gaps and invade the opponent's backfield.

Broughton has a powerful upper body and heavy hands to dispose of blockers at the point of attack. Here, is playing off the edge where he throws a vicious hump move on the right tackle.

Broughton doesn't only possess a strong upper half, his lower body strength is evident to work his way through contact where he lives for bullying blockers into the laps of the quarterback.

If Broughton is unable to work his way into the backfield to cause pressure, he would always make sure that he was trying to contribute in some way. Even if that meant getting his arms up to defend the pass, he would excel at it, finishing with 10 passes defensed.

Not only does he get after the passer efficiently, but he is also stout against the run. Broughton anchors at the point of attack against the double team. He splits it and gets underneath, leaving the running back nowhere to go.

Outside of the positives, there are things are Broughton will need to work on. He needs some polish by using his hands more as a pass rusher and run defender to get together a game plan as opposed to relying purely on initial quickness. It will make it easier by keeping his chest clean at the next level.

Along with that, the former Cincinnati product will need to be more consistent at playing with lower pads. He can play upright and narrow quite often, which will get him washed out of plays.

With Los Angeles being thin at the defensive tackle position, Broughton should have no problem earner playing time early on. It's unlikely that he will be a starter in 2019, but he should be a rotational player and key interior defender in his second season.

If Broughton does indeed unlock his full potential, we will be looking back at this with the words, "Telesco did it again."
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

I don't get why a player like Broughton almost goes undrafted? Is he actually 5'11" with short arms?

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
          I don't get why a player like Broughton almost goes undrafted? Is he actually 5'11" with short arms?
          He was a top 75 prospect on my board.
          He played for several DCs and out of position for most his career. His senior season was outstanding and he possesses the explosive traits I covet. I am more excited to see Cortez in our rotation than I am Jerry.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

He was a top 75 prospect on my board.
            He played for several DCs and out of position for most his career. His senior season was outstanding and he possesses the explosive traits I covet. I am more excited to see Cortez in our rotation than I am Jerry.
            Wow, so you have Cortez rated higher than Tillery?

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, so you have Cortez rated higher than Tillery?
              I did indeed. He will be very effective in our rotation. He is extremely disruptive, powerful, and quick. Needs hand technique/placement refinement, position consistency/defined role, learn to take advantage of his natural leverage power at POA, & block scheme recognition.

I now hope I was dead wrong on Tillery. He has traits but just disappeared way too often on film for me. If you just watched his 2018 Michigan & Stanford games he will be DROY. I am now watching those 2 weekly to increase my love for Tillery.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Ontario , Canada
                • Send PM

Nice CBS Article . Kelvin Harmon, Julian Love and other Day 3 picks who can be instant impact rookies

Cortez Broughton, DT, Chargers

First-round pick Jerry Tillery is precisely the type of interior disruptor the Chargers have needed for a long time, particularly since Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa have established themselves as arguably the best outside pass-rushing duo in football.

However, Los Angeles' depth at defensive tackle is still lackluster. Brandon Mebane is into his 30s now and a niche space-eater. Justin Jones, who was picked in the third round of the 2018 Draft out of NC State, barely saw the field as a rookie, and Ty McGill has been deep depth his entire career.

That's it. Those are the defensive tackles currently on the Chargers' roster. Huge opening for Broughton up front. The Cincinnati star had an inauspicious career until he moved inside to what clearly is his natural position close to the football. As a senior he had 18.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks thanks to a ridiculous first step, low center-of-gravity pop, and a non-stop motor. He isn't a hand-use master but regularly wins the leverage battle and is typically the first defensive lineman into the backfield because of his acceleration off the snap. He wasn't invited to the combine yet tested extremely well at his pro day.

Broughton looks like the classic late-round pick who'll surprise in camp and the preseason, make the team, and make an impact in Year 1 as a rotational piece.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

I did indeed. He will be very effective in our rotation. He is extremely disruptive, powerful, and quick. Needs hand technique/placement refinement, position consistency/defined role, learn to take advantage of his natural leverage power at POA, & block scheme recognition.

I now hope I was dead wrong on Tillery. He has traits but just disappeared way too often on film for me. If you just watched his 2018 Michigan & Stanford games he will be DROY. I am now watching those 2 weekly to increase my love for Tillery.
                  Which games would you say would be the best examples of JT disappearing?
                  im asking sincerely because I'm skeptical but I also realize how closely you watch film.
                  The impression I got from watching his less than stellar games thus far has been that it's more about the lack of talent around him, especially on the Dline.
                  even with a guy like Julian Love, I saw offenses able to pick that secondary apart quickly.
                  Essentially I saw offenses that were able to work around JT or double team him or stall him by chipping with the first Olineman before being blocked by another (I forgot what you call that)
                  When I realized he played his last 8 games with a torn labrum I was even more sold.
                  G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Hard to believe the Bolt coaching staff could be so off on Tillery, but always possible. Sure hope he and Cortez both push that pocket right up into Golden Boy Brady's face...

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

im asking sincerely because I'm skeptical but I also realize how closely you watch film.
                      The impression I got from watching his less than stellar games thus far has been that it's more about the lack of talent around him, especially on the Dline.
                      even with a guy like Julian Love, I saw offenses able to pick that secondary apart quickly.
                      Essentially I saw offenses that were able to work around JT or double team him or stall him by chipping with the first Olineman before being blocked by another (I forgot what you call that)
                      When I realized he played his last 8 games with a torn labrum I was even more sold.
                      2017 - MIAMI, MICHIGAN ST
                      2018 - VANDY, USC, PITT

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Yep...so that labrum injury cut Tillery's moves down to a half rip and a half swim...
                        Last edited by Topcat; 05-09-2019, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

would surmise/scry that Broughton has a good chance to eventually win the starting nod @3T.... (tend to agree w/Ninja's evals of the two, as....)

think Tillery is going to end up being a very versatile rotational piece/element to our Dline, being able to play all three positions, including nose and strong side DE.

still see DT/NT as a major need post Mebane and heading into next year's draft.... (Derrick Brown pls)
                          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Working...
                          X