• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
    Perhaps, and I agree that is probably still his best fit. But nowhere did it say that he was not suited to 3/4 end. In fact it says he is very versatile and played all along the line. IMO adding another similar player to keep him and Reyes fresh would pay BIG dividends to our entire D.
    Its also from Walter Football. The only thing that site is good for IMO is pro day updates and the draft order.Otherwise it sucks.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
      Perhaps, and I agree that is probably still his best fit. But nowhere did it say that he was not suited to 3/4 end. In fact it says he is very versatile and played all along the line. IMO adding another similar player to keep him and Reyes fresh would pay BIG dividends to our entire D.
      I see this as our highest need priority on D. More than CB (which I think we snag at #25), more than OLB (which like CB we do need).

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Just my opinion, but I don't think anybody is suited to be a 3-4 DE. Just bring in some big guys you can't move off the line and speedy LBs to play behind them.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          Would he be any more of a project at OLB than Barr at this point in their careers?
          Barr has at least played OLB, while Shazier has just played ILB.

Plus, Barr has the size of frame that you look for in those kinds of players.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I would still agree with Walter's description today. Luiget's BEST fit is probably as a 43 penetrating DT (3 technique). But while any player has a BEST fit, that doesn't necessarily mean he cannot play other spots. Again, Nix may be projected to be a NT, but that doesn't mean a team who needs help on run D won't draft him to play in a 43. His best fit would still be at 34, but what does that team care. They want a player who fits a particular need or skill set. They don't care about labels, which is what screws up so many draft guys, that they are hung up on putting labels on guys.

But the difference between Shazier and Liuget are skills. Has anyone seen Shazier run off the corner, dip his shoulder and get past and OT? How about run off the corner and bull rush the OT back into the pocket. Look at the highlights of Mack, you see him doing those things. It's easy to project him doing that, since he has done it against guys who will be playing in the NFL (he did both of those against Ohio State). Shazier has a great body of work as a playmaking ILB, but nothing that makes him look like a 34 OLB. Maybe he can do it. But he has no body of work, and that makes him a big project.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Barr has at least played OLB, while Shazier has just played ILB.

Plus, Barr has the size of frame that you look for in those kinds of players.
              So... in your mind, Barr would be up to speed faster as an NFL ready OLB than Shazier?
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

So... in your mind, Barr would be up to speed faster as an NFL ready OLB than Shazier?
                IMO Shazier will not play OLB in a 3/4.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Yes, although I don't see Shazier playing as a 34 OLB at all. I see him inside as a 34 ILB. That is the closest position to the 43 OLB he played in college.

43 OLB becomes a 34 WILB

43 RDE becomes a 34 ROLB
                  Last edited by Steve; 05-03-2014, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Yes, although I don't see Shazier playing as a 34 OLB at all. I see him inside as a 34 ILB. That is the closest position to the 43 OLB he played in college.

43 OLB becomes a 34 WILB

43 RDE becomes a 34 ROLB
                    Yeah,I a agree he looks like a WILB in a 34. I also believe, if a team has two large DT to keep him clean, he would excel as a MLb in a 4-3 a la Brian Urlacher. I was thinking last night that the Bears may try to retool their D, by drafting their next "Urlacher" and later getting some space eaters at DT. They need to do something, their D was brutal last year. However, they have holes all over the D and lack pass rush as well, so it may take a while. The key piece in the middle has always been of prime importance to the bears.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

The most accurate, up to date NFL Depth Charts and Rosters on the net for reality football, fantasy owners and fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Nix to play DT. I know I keep repeating that run D is not that important, but the Bears are the exception to that. Easily one of the worst run D in recent history. They are the only reason there is any contribution to the non-zero correlation in ypc to points allowed. If you check the link in Ourlauds, the other guy starting is a guy who has bounced around their active roster and practice squad, and has basically no playing time. Might have a chance as a DE, but is not really big enough or physical enough to play inside as a regular. If they drafted Nix, or another big body, I could see them moving Paea to the 3 technique spot and using Nix at NT in their 43. They signed Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston to start at DE, with Houston being an option to slide inside on pass downs, like he did with Oakland.

As you point out, they would still need a MLB, but they have Briggs and Williams as 2 of their LB, so they just need to find someone else to fill in. Williams is a jack of all trades types, who won't make that many big plays, but he makes some and his versatility is nice to have. If they wanted Shazier, they could easily make it work, either with him outside and DJ Williams inside, or the reverse.

Which brings up another thing I have thought about time for time. Is it worth a flyer to the Bears on Shea McClellin? I was thinking a 5th or 6th, and maybe even conditional in next seasons (like we did for Lissemore, which is why we don't have a 7th in 2015). He keeps getting moved back and forth between DE and OLB for the Bears, and it is becoming clear he is not an answer for them. But in the 34, where we would allow him to line up wider, he might be another option.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CHI

I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Nix to play DT. I know I keep repeating that run D is not that important, but the Bears are the exception to that. Easily one of the worst run D in recent history. They are the only reason there is any contribution to the non-zero correlation in ypc to points allowed. If you check the link in Ourlauds, the other guy starting is a guy who has bounced around their active roster and practice squad, and has basically no playing time. Might have a chance as a DE, but is not really big enough or physical enough to play inside as a regular. If they drafted Nix, or another big body, I could see them moving Paea to the 3 technique spot and using Nix at NT in their 43. They signed Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston to start at DE, with Houston being an option to slide inside on pass downs, like he did with Oakland.

As you point out, they would still need a MLB, but they have Briggs and Williams as 2 of their LB, so they just need to find someone else to fill in. Williams is a jack of all trades types, who won't make that many big plays, but he makes some and his versatility is nice to have. If they wanted Shazier, they could easily make it work, either with him outside and DJ Williams inside, or the reverse.

Which brings up another thing I have thought about time for time. Is it worth a flyer to the Bears on Shea McClellin? I was thinking a 5th or 6th, and maybe even conditional in next seasons (like we did for Lissemore, which is why we don't have a 7th in 2015). He keeps getting moved back and forth between DE and OLB for the Bears, and it is becoming clear he is not an answer for them. But in the 34, where we would allow him to line up wider, he might be another option.
                        I would give them a fifth for Mc Clellin in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                        X