• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Is it just me, or does it seem like the only 3 guys that are really going to be set are:

1). Nwosu - great rookie year, will lead the pack as the Otto/SAM. Should start in the base D, and then figure in as a situational rusher as well.

2). Tranquill - a 4th round pick is going to be given every chance to win a roster spot. He might not start, but he should be on the active roster to be a ST guy if nothing else. He is the kind of workaholic who can win a starting job, not necessarily week 1, but early in his rookie year.

3). Egdule - I like him the best of a lot of the young LB. Much later pick than Emmanuel, and does not have as much experience as an edge guy, but is a faster and better athlete. Should be a stud ST guy, and if he can pick up any of the OLB (or LEO), should find his way on the field. It would be really interesting to see if he has the instincts to play MIke or Will. Could be the utility infielder type who can play all the LB positions, as well as being the edge guy who can fill in at DE (like Emmanuel did, only better).

The rest of them, it just seems like they are all up for grabs. Davis and Perryman signed contracts, but neither one would cost anything (except some dead money) to release. I'm not saying it will happen, but both will still have to earn their way on the roster. Both should be the starting LB, but I am not so sure we are wed to either one of them. If they don't win starting jobs in TC, I could see us letting them go, especially if the other guys can play to their considerable talents.

White needs to show he can stay healthy, because he flashed some ability in his very limited playing time. Brown has flashed playmaking too, but he disappears at times, and has to stay healthy too. Both just needs to step up and show they can be consistent.

The one thing people seem to underestimate is the ST value of a guy like Dzubnar. I want to see the guy go as much, or more than most, but NFL teams need a few ST guys to make the meeting rooms go, and make sure people are taking the ST role seriously and not just spending all their time on O or D. Dzubnar adds nothing to D, but he can be one of those ST guy. He would be a lot better if he would stop committing so many stupid personal fouls, because the rest of his production, while good, is not so good as to offset those mistakes. I could see Tranquill or Brown really stepping up to become that kind of ST guy, and making Dzubnar expendable, freeing up some cap space too.
    Honestly...i think it is just you on this one. I see no way in hell perryman and Davis are non-injury replaced this season. Both egbule and tranquill have potential, and it is why we drafted them as fits in our system, but to pencil them in for meaningful rolls on D as rookies is jumping the gun IMO. I do think if the kids flash and show on ST that Dzub is gone.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post

Apparently, not ...

"We're definitely going to need someone to step up there after Travis (on the depth chart). You have Keenan, Mike, Travis and then Artavis and a bunch of guys that have been around one or two years, and then some young cats. I'm looking at that group...I thought Artavis was having a heck of an offseason for us last year before he got hurt," Lynn said. "He has picked up where he left off."
      Not sure where you get that. Lynn singled him out, I remember last PS he was playing well. We will see, i see him as a great compliment to the starters
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Is it just me, or does it seem like the only 3 guys that are really going to be set are:

1). Nwosu - great rookie year, will lead the pack as the Otto/SAM. Should start in the base D, and then figure in as a situational rusher as well.

2). Tranquill - a 4th round pick is going to be given every chance to win a roster spot. He might not start, but he should be on the active roster to be a ST guy if nothing else. He is the kind of workaholic who can win a starting job, not necessarily week 1, but early in his rookie year.

3). Egdule - I like him the best of a lot of the young LB. Much later pick than Emmanuel, and does not have as much experience as an edge guy, but is a faster and better athlete. Should be a stud ST guy, and if he can pick up any of the OLB (or LEO), should find his way on the field. It would be really interesting to see if he has the instincts to play MIke or Will. Could be the utility infielder type who can play all the LB positions, as well as being the edge guy who can fill in at DE (like Emmanuel did, only better).

The rest of them, it just seems like they are all up for grabs. Davis and Perryman signed contracts, but neither one would cost anything (except some dead money) to release. I'm not saying it will happen, but both will still have to earn their way on the roster. Both should be the starting LB, but I am not so sure we are wed to either one of them. If they don't win starting jobs in TC, I could see us letting them go, especially if the other guys can play to their considerable talents.

White needs to show he can stay healthy, because he flashed some ability in his very limited playing time. Brown has flashed playmaking too, but he disappears at times, and has to stay healthy too. Both just needs to step up and show they can be consistent.

The one thing people seem to underestimate is the ST value of a guy like Dzubnar. I want to see the guy go as much, or more than most, but NFL teams need a few ST guys to make the meeting rooms go, and make sure people are taking the ST role seriously and not just spending all their time on O or D. Dzubnar adds nothing to D, but he can be one of those ST guy. He would be a lot better if he would stop committing so many stupid personal fouls, because the rest of his production, while good, is not so good as to offset those mistakes. I could see Tranquill or Brown really stepping up to become that kind of ST guy, and making Dzubnar expendable, freeing up some cap space too.
        I have to think that one or more of the young bucks will prove equal to or better than Dzoobie on ST.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Good call.

My guy is Kyzir. I think he earns his starting job back (he did as a Rook) and becomes an impact player. His instincts, size, speed/burst, processing skills, and playmaking ability are going to be on display.

Stay healthy and play fast!
          I agree with that. But whats his role if Davis starts? The more I think about it, the more I see Davis as a backup. Not a mistake, but insurance if we didn't get any decent LBs in the draft.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I agree with that. But whats his role if Davis starts? The more I think about it, the more I see Davis as a backup. Not a mistake, but insurance if we didn't get any decent LBs in the draft.
            I think Davis will get a LOT of snaps. He will most likely be in the rotation. Will he start? Maybe. If not, I GUARANTEE he's in on a LOT of plays...

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I think Kyzir starts. If Denzel is healthy, it will be DP@Mike, Kyzir@Will. No Denzel = Kyzir@Mike & Davis@Will.
              Kyzir and Davis are our base .05 LBs.
              If healthy, those 3 are our LB rotation with Nwosu@Otto in our limited base D snaps. Nwosu will get a ton of snaps in rush packages.
              The rest of the depth at LB are core ST players and package/matchup pieces.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Assuming everyone is healthy, my starting LBs on Sep 8 are OTTO- Nwosu, Mike- Perryman, Will- Davis
                That's currently We have a really good LB room. I believe White, Brown will play a lot of snaps and Tranquill, Egbule will impact special teams and have a shot to earn snaps on D.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

The reason for playing Kyzir at 4-3 Over SAM
                  is to get him and Davis out on the field at the same time.

Nwosu will, in a large part, be at DE in rush, NASCAR packages.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

If Trevor Williams returns to form, this is easily the deepest defense the Chargers have had in my collective memory. Deeper than the 2006-7 super teams by a large margin.

My only issue is defensive tackle.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                      Day One...
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Brentwood, 94513
                      • Send PM

The chance for this defense to be special is more likely than not. We have playmakers at every level. Great job TT.

At the linebacker position, I don't care who starts, everyone is going to get time. Packages is what you can use effectively when you have enough depth on the roster. White is going to get more snaps than the other because he has better instincts. Ha, that's just my guess. His speed and ability to bring the house when he get to a defender is my main point.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

If T. Davis is your 4th LB, you are in good shape!

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                          The reason for playing Kyzir at 4-3 Over SAM
                          is to get him and Davis out on the field at the same time.

Nwosu will, in a large part, be at DE in rush, NASCAR packages.
                          I know fans like the idea, but every time I hear one of the DC who run the Seattle 43/34 hybrid talk, they are pretty vocal about having the SAM control the end of the line and funnel the TE, which isn't exactly what White does well. He has instincts and speed, and can run plays down, but that isn't what the SAM does in our D.

Comment

Working...
                          X