• like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

usatsi_11009308.jpg?w=2000&h=1200&crop=1.jpg
    By: Gavino Borquez | 7 minutes ago

The linebacker position was hampered with injuries in 2018, including Kyzir White. White, the fourth-round selection out of West Virginia, started to catch the attention of fans but a knee injury held him back from an impactful rookie season.

White had won the starting weakside linebacker position and played at least 61 percent of the defensive snaps the first three weeks of preseason. The fourth-round pick had 17 tackles, three passes defensed, one tackle for loss and an interception in three regular season games.

Fast forward to now, White is completely healthy, is up 13 pounds and has been showing in camp that he's eager to push for a significant role once again in his sophomore season.

Yesterday in practice, White picked off quarterback Philip Rivers with a one-handed snag over his shoulder. But aside from that one play, the former Mountaineer has been making plays on a daily basis in training camp.

It's unlikely that he will be penciled in as the starting WILL going into Week 1 of the regular season, knowing that veteran Thomas Davis will probably get the start. But considering defensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt favors sub-packages and the fact that he can play all three linebacker positions, White will most definitely be seeing the field a lot.

Plenty of eyes will be on White this Thursday in the preseason opener against the Cardinals and for him, it means a lot to get back onto the field after having his first year cut short. EmailSign up Like this article?

Sign up for the Chargers Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

"It means everything to me. After being on the sideline and watching my teammates play, it was a tough feeling. But now that I'm back healthy and I get a chance to go out there and contribute and help out, I'm excited," White said, per the team's official website.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Rugger05
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I didn't know Ken Whisenhunt is now the DC of the Chargers.........................

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

That's why you come to this website. The information here is invaluable!

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

So White is now 6'2 231 #'s and can cover. My initial comparison was Telvin Smith. But he may end up being some Myles Jack as well. Pretty excited about him. Loved him coming out of college.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I hate seeing guys gain weight and expecting them to be as explosive.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              "Yesterday in practice, White picked off quarterback Philip Rivers with a one-handed snag over his shoulder."

Well at least he's still got his mobility.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Generally, the twitch isn't as quick but striking power? It's an individual thing. 218 to 233, 10-15 lbs of hard muscle on his young 6-2 frame probably enhanced his ability to play LB. If he looks slower, dropping a few lbs shouldn't be a problem. Probably going to happen anyway.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                  Generally, the twitch isn't as quick but striking power? It's an individual thing. 218 to 233, 10-15 lbs of hard muscle on his young 6-2 frame probably enhanced his ability to play LB. If he looks slower, dropping a few lbs shouldn't be a problem. Probably going to happen anyway.
                  Yeah, but its probably 200-233 in the last 2 years.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                    his biggest shortcoming to an otherwise exciting game was he was susceptible to being blown off point attack on direct assault or caught up in the inside wash, both due to being undersized - i'd say adding strength is a really good plan for him. he's plenty fast for a LB, he's basically Safety speed. If he wants to be like a 3-down player, he needed to add strength. Quicker faster is all well and good but the game hasn't changed that much - 218 is too small to play LB in the NFL except in dime packages where you're really playing hybrid inside DB.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Is not an issue with Kyzir. 230-235 sounds about the range.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

rachel dratch snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Is not an issue with Kyzir. 230-235 sounds about the range.
                          Tolgerson said 240 without loss of speed or explosion. Ill go with the coach. Dana probably knows more about him than us. lol

Comment

Working...
                          X