• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I saw Tranquill drop a RB at the LOS like a rock for no gain on one play last night. He just plowed the RB into the sod. I also saw him get back quick in coverage and pic a ball, high-pointing it nicely. I don't expect him to be a starter, but i think we have an athlete there that has some versatility and can develop. I can't recall Perryman intercepting anything (don't shoot if he happens to have had one or two over his many years). Perryman is a huge plus in short yardage or if a team tries to power rush the D with a two-TE big package, like NE did to the LAC 7db defense in the playoffs. They got just pounded up the middle with no stout LBs and weakened DL. Tis good to have some of both. I think Perryman is not suited for MLB as he can't get sideline to sideline effectively. He's suited for strong side playing from the edge into the middle. And he's not great in coverage, is he a complete liability? Not sure, but he can't cover elite TEs. What can he do - drop into a short zone position?
    Excellent, excellent post about modern LBs in general, and ours in particular.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

It's pretty impressive to think DT had torn both ACLs within a calendar year and be here now making plays in his first taste of NFL action
      great story
      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

Yeah dude has that hunger you can see it in his play.Long as his knees hold up he will be contributing this season.

Comment

• Boltergeist
          Pesky apparition
          • Jun 2013
          • Baja Oklahoma
          • Send PM

I saw Tranquill drop a RB at the LOS like a rock for no gain on one play last night. He just plowed the RB into the sod. I also saw him get back quick in coverage and pic a ball, high-pointing it nicely. I don't expect him to be a starter, but i think we have an athlete there that has some versatility and can develop. I can't recall Perryman intercepting anything (don't shoot if he happens to have had one or two over his many years). Perryman is a huge plus in short yardage or if a team tries to power rush the D with a two-TE big package, like NE did to the LAC 7db defense in the playoffs. They got just pounded up the middle with no stout LBs and weakened DL. Tis good to have some of both. I think Perryman is not suited for MLB as he can't get sideline to sideline effectively. He's suited for strong side playing from the edge into the middle. And he's not great in coverage, is he a complete liability? Not sure, but he can't cover elite TEs. What can he do - drop into a short zone position?
          Not shooting, but this made me wonder so I looked it up. He had one pick in college and one as a pro. The pro pick was against the Falcons in 2016. It led to the winning score.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltergeist View Post

Not shooting, but this made me wonder so I looked it up. He had one pick in college and one as a pro. The pro pick was against the Falcons in 2016. It led to the winning score.
            Perryman has 2 INTs. 1 in 2018 as well.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Boltergeist
              Pesky apparition
              • Jun 2013
              • Baja Oklahoma
              • Send PM

Don't know how I missed that.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                It's pretty impressive to think DT had torn both ACLs within a calendar year and be here now making plays in his first taste of NFL action
                great story
                He's got an impressive recovery regimen down. I wonder if he is able to replicate what he did at Notre Dame here with the Chargers. The other impressive thing about him is his intelligence. Everything I've read about him reminds me of a young Weddle. Just got to hope that his training keeps him healthy.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Perryman has 2 INTs. 1 in 2018 as well.
                  Right on. I'm not anti-Perryman, he's been our best LB the last 3 yrs among the ragtag squad assembled. He just has limits, like most players do. He is a great fit in a base rush defense at strong side (i get confused in the Will, Otto, Mike, ... etc ... lingo). And that will get plenty of snaps this season, i'm sure.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Also curious how he plays at his new slimmer weight.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

I liked what i saw of the other slimmed down guy on defense.

On one bull rush, he knocked a Cardinal guard backwards precipitously while bull rushing - so he still has the power. He used a couple club moves effectively that i haven't seen from him before, one time chasing Kyle Murray out of the pocket and keeping up with him.

Compact, quicker, & still strong - Charger version of John Randle

Comment

• GA Charger
                        A man with a toaster
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Mid Georgia, out in the woods
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

... (i get confused in the Will, Otto, Mike, ... etc ... lingo)...
                        I've been playing or watching football for 45yrs and I'm still not sure what they mean. I never even heard those terms until maybe 5yrs ago?
                        Maybe someone on here can splain it?

Comment

• charger1993
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by GA Charger View Post

I've been playing or watching football for 45yrs and I'm still not sure what they mean. I never even heard those terms until maybe 5yrs ago?
                          Maybe someone on here can splain it?
                          Im 26 and the only one of those 3 i heard growing up was The mike backer. The other 2 i felt like people just started saying.
                          just like Leo, i never grew up hearing people call certain dline positions Leo's. I always heard hes a 1 or 3 technique

Comment

Working...
                          X