• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolts223
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

w/the retiring of Chris Long, the Eagles just cleared another $5m plus in cap space, which is on top of their already $20m something cap space to start with.

they've got Malik Jackson next to Fletcher Cox, and just added Timmy Jernigan and Hassan Ridgeway behind them.... they have a roster spot and are known for offering one year contracts to vets that might still have a little something left in the tank.

think Philly for $8m is a likely possibility.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/05/21/espn-suh-finalizing-contract-with-bucs/
    I don't think so. I think if Philly signed him it would be the equivalent of us using the rest of our cap space to sign another RB or WR. They are already loaded at DT and don't need to use the rest of their cap space to get another one.

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I get that he would get the majority of the snaps overall, but by later in the season, I think McCoy would probably be seeing his snaps decrease and Tillery taking over as the main focus.

I just think there is a part of what players say in public, where they are playing to their fans, and then there is the private part, where their ego's live. It has really not been very long since the end of the season, when McCoy was the focus of TB defense, and now he is on the street looking for work. He is a smart guy, who knows what he is supposed to say, so he is saying it. But in the back of his mind, is his ego still screaming at him being one of the best pass rushing DT in football?
      What better way to get more 1x1 situations that playing between bosa and Ingram. Take the one year prove it deal and crush it in a good situation.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Except I'm sure he's looking for a multi year deal, at minimum two.

Comment

• Bolts223
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          Except I'm sure he's looking for a multi year deal, at minimum two.
          I think a two year deal is fairly manageable tbh. He'd be a good player in both those years.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

What better way to get more 1x1 situations that playing between bosa and Ingram. Take the one year prove it deal and crush it in a good situation.
            That is the rational part of it. Again, how much is his ego in it.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Do we really have interest in McCoy or is that just pundit speculation? I'd be interested but just don't think TT would be with the cap we have left and Rivers coming up.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Do we really have interest in McCoy or is that just pundit speculation? I'd be interested but just don't think TT would be with the cap we have left and Rivers coming up.
                You can never have too many good players, but with our limited cap space and the fact that two of our seven draft picks were on defensive linemen, I'd be kind of surprised if we did.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Just my 2 cents, but I think we committed to Mebane...I don't think there is room for both, and this is further supported by the cap management points others here have made. You have Square behind him(decent backup) and I think Jones can play well inside as well. Now, if Mebane starts showing an age decline this year, and we can't find a suitable replacement in the draft...or if Jones doesn't move inside, I could see us making a move like this next year...but I think our staff likes this group going into the season.

Now...if there is an early injury, and McCoy is still floating around late...may be necessary to salvage the season by spending some bucks on a guy like McCoy...we are built to win now.

With regards to that inside NT, I'm still not sure that Jones isn't the future...he has been playing some 3 tech, but if Tillery and Cortez B. really pan out, that 3 tech will be a little crowded, and I think Jones is built to handle that inside DT position...seems like a logical futurecast for the dline, IMO

Edit: Read that McCoy is a 3-tech? I would have seen him inside I thought, but this sells it...too crowded at the 3-tech...gotta develop those promising young guys.
                  Last edited by Lone Bolt; 05-22-2019, 09:58 AM.
                  The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• ~sdc
                    PURA VIDA
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                    Just my 2 cents, but I think we committed to Mebane...I don't think there is room for both, and this is further supported by the cap management points others here have made. You have Square behind him(decent backup) and I think Jones can play well inside as well. Now, if Mebane starts showing an age decline this year, and we can't find a suitable replacement in the draft...or if Jones doesn't move inside, I could see us making a move like this next year...but I think our staff likes this group going into the season.

Now...if there is an early injury, and McCoy is still floating around late...may be necessary to salvage the season by spending some bucks on a guy like McCoy...we are built to win now.

With regards to that inside NT, I'm still not sure that Jones isn't the future...he has been playing some 3 tech, but if Tillery and Cortez B. really pan out, that 3 tech will be a little crowded, and I think Jones is built to handle that inside DT position...seems like a logical futurecast for the dline, IMO
                    I agree. We have committed to the NT's we have on the roster. 3 draft picks in that last too years, plus Mebane, and Square.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Square may be listed at NT, but he finally showed he was most productive when he was playing outside as a run-down/goalline DE and rotational guy at NT and DT. He gives us depth across the line. His strength is that he adds situational depth across the board. But if he has to line up at NT play after play, he has never really shown much.

Tillery is the future at 3 tech, but he is not going to be ready to play full time if he can't start to practice until TC starts. I still think he will be playing a major role by the end of the season, but he is probably not going to get a ton of snaps early in the season, just spot play. Even when he is playing, there are enough snaps that a 2nd decent 3 tech would still get some decent snap counts.

Mebane showed last year that he could be a pretty decent NT if you really limit his snaps. The year before he played more snaps, and he wore down quickly. I think he is an obvious run down guy, and maybe some goalline, but he will probably start to give way to others in the rotation. But I still think he is an asset as long as we keep the rotation together.

Jones is the heir apparent at NT. Not as much an upfield guy as an along the line player, but he has the power and quickness to mix things up. He may really come on, but even if he doesn't, he is a fine part of a rotation. I can see him as more of a longer down and distance guy who adds some push to the pocket and more active movement skills vs outside runs, screens and draws.

Cortez B. would be the odd man out. I think he has decent potential, but there is a limited number of snaps if we sign McCoy. Not enough practice reps for him to develop with so many other younger players, and vets trying to keep it together. Unless Cortez really shows a lot of flash in PS, I just don't see us keeping that many DT, especially a player who is probably not going to get a ton of reps during the season even if he is active, which is kinda unlikely. He is a developmental pick without a roster spot if McCoy is around.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

So if we don't sign McCoy, Broughton should get quite a few quality snaps, especially early if Tillery is less than 100%. Nice.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

It depends on how well he adapts to the NFL and learning an NFL playbook, but he has a chance to get playing time early and often.

Without a new guy like McCoy, who would need a fair number of reps to get used to our personnel and new defense and Tillery missing snaps while he rehabs, Cortez gets a lot of extra snaps. Every year there are guys like him who do. He is a bit of a longshop as a late pick, but why not a guy like him? He is not some giant goon who has no ability. The guy flashes some skills. He has some bad habits and needs to develop his technique, but he just needs the coaching and reps and he may develop.

Comment

Working...
                          X