• richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014...ball-outsiders

Good article. CB/Pass rushers > all.
    Good article is something I never see when discussing any article written by John Gennaro. I used to think he might have been Den60 the way he bashed Rivers non-stop and his brilliant "insight" into how Rivers was struggling to pick up the offense last summer in camp. I'll pass.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Good article is something I never see when discussing any article written by John Gennaro. I used to think he might have been Den60 the way he bashed Rivers non-stop and his brilliant "insight" into how Rivers was struggling to pick up the offense last summer in camp. I'll pass.
      Good thing it wasn't him doing the analysis. It was the guy from Football outsiders.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

QBs moving down based on preseason games. We have 7 games against these QBs. The schedule looks better all the time.

Moving down

Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers: If Kaepernick wasn't so up and down in the regular season, we wouldn't be as concerned with with an ugly preseason. Kaepernick is used to getting great pass protection, and we'll be watching to see what happens if that doesn't hold true this year. It certainly has been a problem in the preseason.

Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers: Newton doesn't look totally comfortable in his surgically repaired ankle. Now he has a rib injury to worry about and is likely to be hesitant to run early in the season. Newton is a streaky quarterback even when things are going well. That Week 1 matchup in Tampa will be a big challenge.

Matt Schaub, Oakland Raiders: He's a tough watch right now because of his lack of confidence and arm strength. With an elbow injury keeping him out of practice, we have doubts that Schaub will start Week 1.

Bishop Sankey and Devonta Freeman: The two rookie running backs are still stuck at fourth in their team's respective depth charts. At least Freeman has looked explosive when given the chance and should climb the depth chart soon. Sankey might not have much of a role to start the year.

Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs: Week after week, he gets no protection. Smith is going to have a higher degree of difficulty this season because of his schedule and his offensive line.

EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills: It's been a depressing month for Bills fans. Usually one of the most optimistic fan bases in the league, Bills fans were reduced to booing Manuel for his month's worth of ugly performances. There's just no reason to believe Manuel will suddenly become accurate.

St. Louis Rams: You can fault the front office for how they handled Sam Bradford's situation in the offseason, but this organization is just plain unlucky. They can talk up Shaun Hill all they want, but it's rough for fans to know that a team won't be a serious contender before the season starts.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
          QBs moving down based on preseason games. We have 7 games against these QBs. The schedule looks better all the time.
          Schaub twice!!! Oh yeah
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Hope we play better vs bad teams this year...
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              Good thing it wasn't him doing the analysis. It was the guy from Football outsiders.
              Ah, then I guess I need to read it!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I agree, Vincent Brown isn't going anywhere. He is just standing around watching practice and preseason games. Maybe when he recovers from a 'calf injury that just won't heal' he'll be going somewhere. But not now.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Arrow pointing up for TE Mike Flacco

By Eric D. Williams | August 27, 2014 8:00:37 PM PDT
                  SAN DIEGO -- Known by most players in the locker room as the younger brother of Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, undrafted rookie free agent tight end Mike Flacco carved out a name for himself with more consistent play the last few weeks of the preseason.

And the result is that the 27-year-old might find a home with the San Diego Chargers for the long-term after final roster cut downs this weekend.

Jake Roth/USA TODAY Sports
                  Mike Flacco has one more chance to convince the Chargers to keep him on the team.
                  Considered a major project, Flacco is fifth on the depth chart at perhaps the most talented position group on San Diego's roster. He has a chance of sticking with the organization either on the active roster or the practice squad, depending on what happens against the Arizona Cardinals on Thursday.

Flacco benefits from having a position coach in Pete Metzelaars who played tight end for 16 years in the NFL, along with a future Hall of Famer in Antonio Gates and a talented breakout candidate in Ladarius Green to watch every day in practice.

"This is a great place to learn how to play tight end," Flacco said. "Unfortunately, there's some good tight ends in front of me on the depth chart. But between the coaching and guys in front of you to watch, it's a great place to learn."

Signed as an undrafted rookie free agent in May after moving on from minor league baseball, Flacco struggled mightily during his early audition with the Chargers.

Some of Flacco's foibles during training camp included tripping over grass blades and falling down on a simple out route, and getting pancaked trying to block middle linebacker Reggie Walker during inside running drills.

As they say in football, sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail -- and Flacco was the latter more times than not during the first week of training camp.

But something changed the last few weeks -- Flacco got better. And it showed in games, including a nice catch on a seam route for an 18-yard gain against Dallas in the exhibition opener, and better consistency blocking in the run game against San Francisco last week.

"The longer you're in a system, and for me just doing football stuff like blocking guys and running routes, the better you're going to get at it," Flacco said. "So the more reps I get, the better I feel."

Along with the improved performance, Flacco also has something else working for him: potential. At 6-foot-5 and 251 pounds, Flacco ran a 4.68-second, 40-yard time at his pro day after one year playing football at Division II New Haven. He posted a 9.7-foot broad jump and benched pressed 225 pounds 17 times.

Gates understands Flacco's tough transition, having done it himself over a decade ago as a Division I basketball player at Kent State making the switch to pro football.

"I had the same situation," Gates said. "So you have to understand the potential, and that you have to give people time. But he started making plays and understanding defenses. And I think that's what it is for him, and why he's still here.

"I've seen him progress over time and constantly getting better, and that's what it's all about. Some guys level off and stay the same, but he constantly got better every day."

Flacco said he's been in communication with older brother Joe during training camp, with conversations that include mundane topics like comparing practice times and daily schedules.

Flacco said he's looking forward to one last chance to show what he can do on Thursday against the Cardinals at Qualcomm Stadium.

"Just this whole experience has been great for me," Flacco said. "I didn't quit baseball to necessarily pursue this. I stopped playing because I just felt my opportunity there had passed. And I was fortunate enough to have this on the table, and ended up here."
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Here's hoping that Cox lasts with the Ravens till Nov. 30.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Faded blues
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2013
                      • Send PM

This is the year we making shitty Qbs look like shit.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        Why Vincent Brown isn't going anywhere

By Eric D. Williams | August 23, 2014 6:45:19 PM PDT
                        SAN DIEGO – Out since the second day of training camp with a calf train, San Diego Chargers receiver Vincent Brown is biding his time until the injury allows him to take the field.

But it hasn’t been easy for the former San Diego State receiver. He’s a constant presence on the sideline during practice and in games, when he’s not inside the team’s training facility performing rehabilitation work so he can ultimately return to practice.

“I’m out there getting mental reps,” Brown said. “I’m studying the playbook, of course. And I’m doing my rehab trying to get back.”

AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi
                        Vincent Brown suffered a calf strain on the second day of training camp and hasn't returned.
                        Brown has missed a month, but likely will be back sooner rather than later. Still, there will be a transition in terms of getting back in game shape and working into the offense when he returns.

“I’m familiar with the offense and things like that, so that definitely helps,” Brown said. “I’m more familiar than I was my first year coming off of the (ankle) injury. Hopefully, I’ll just be focused on getting back in shape, and getting back what I’ve missed the last couple weeks.”

Now in his fourth season with the Chargers, Brown has experienced his fair share of injuries in San Diego. He missed all of the 2012 season due to an ankle injury, but came back in 2013 to play all 16 games for the first time in his NFL career, finishing with 41 receptions for 472 yards and a touchdown. Brown had only one drop on the year.

Brown seemed to be building on that 2013 performance with the way he played during the offseason, catching everything as a frequent target of Philip Rivers. Even Keenan Allen mentioned that he was feeling the heat by the intense competition from Brown.

Now that he’s injured, questions have cropped up again about Brown’s durability and his value to the organization. However, Brown will likely be on San Diego’s 53-man roster for a couple different reasons.

First, if Allen or Malcom Floyd suffer injuries early in the season, the Chargers will not find a receiver on the free agent market like Brown, who intimately knows their system. If Brown is released during final roster cuts, he won’t be around to bring back in Week 3 if you need him – he’s too talented and will be on someone else’s active roster.

Second, Rivers and Brown have a good rapport. Rivers trusts that Brown is going to be where he’s supposed to be on the route, and it takes years of running routes during practice time to develop that chemistry.

Finally, the Chargers have invested a lot of time and effort in developing Brown the last four years. Why let another team benefit from the investment when you can reap that reward?

Brown is doing the right thing by being patient and making sure he’s fully healthy before returning to the field. Remember, the NFL season is not a sprint, it’s a marathon.

“It’s frustrating,” Brown said. “Whenever you’re not able to play, it definitely gets to you a little bit. But I can’t control it. It’s something that I’ve got to go through, and just trust the Lord the he can help me get back as fast as I can.”
                        Eric has really been off this preseason.
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                          Eric has really been off this preseason.
                          How many experts predicted our final 53? Maybe one of them got 50.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X