POLL: What should the Bolts do with Gordon?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Thunder
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Arlington, TX
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm still not in favor of management caving to a player, on a rookie deal, or any other contract. Cave once, it opens up the floodgates for many more. Then your cap room will REALLY get squeezed, then you don't have a reserve to re-sign the players who have been patiently playing out their contracts and looking forward to a nice raise on their second deal (Bosa, Derwin, etc.) Caving sets the stage for future team dissension. Now, if MANAGEMENT chooses to extend a player's current contract, that's fine. But it can't come from a player, threatening to hold out, or it creates locker room cancer...
    I totally agree with you, Topcat. You and I have been on the same page all along on this. The sentence that you bolded in my quote about the contract terms, I meant that the team trading for Gordon would have to agree to terms in that range with him. I don't see the Chargers extending Gordon at all. That ship has sailed, imo.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post

I totally agree with you, Topcat. You and I have been on the same page all along on this. The sentence that you bolded in my quote about the contract terms, I meant that the team trading for Gordon would have to agree to terms in that range with him. I don't see the Chargers extending Gordon at all. That ship has sailed, imo.
      Ah, okay, yes, gotcha!...the SS Gordon has weighed anchor, and is building up steam for either Miami or Tampa Bay, or some other losing team's port...

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Ah, okay, yes, gotcha!...the SS Gordon has weighed anchor, and is building up steam for either Miami or Tampa Bay, or some other losing team's port...
        I think HOU would be in play. But Miller is on expiring contact. They prob want to draft a RB as Watson will be up for an extension and have to tag or let Clowney go next year. I'd swap Gordon for Clowney and roll with our RBs

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I think HOU would be in play. But Miller is on expiring contact. They prob want to draft a RB as Watson will be up for an extension and have to tag or let Clowney go next year. I'd swap Gordon for Clowney and roll with our RBs
          I mentioned the Texans earlier in this thread as a potential trading partner with us, especially since they have plenty of cap room to accommodate Gordon's projected 4-year, $48-$60 mil deal (if he can get that much)...and I'd like Clowney, but he's set to make almost $16 mil this year...a multi-year contract at that rate would make it real tough to extend Rivers and Boss--precisely the reason why Gordon has probably priced himself out of a job this year...
          Last edited by Topcat; 07-15-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            What us fans would do and what TT will do are likely very different. I'm guessing TT would love to extend him but can't come close to what he wants due to salary cap constraints which is where the disrespect comment comes in. We don't know how far apart they really are and how close the team is to the highest they will go. Until he actually starts missing camp it is all just saber rattling. I am guessing the team will make their best offer (if they haven't) and let him sit. I don't think the market is high for RB and unless a contending team has a RB suffer a major injury in camp, it will be up to Gordon on how long he sits. He may report when he has to or emulate Bell and hold out the entire year. Either way I suspect we'd better be prepared for his absence.
            This sounds the most reality-based.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Not throwing the bank at him.
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

So far, no votes in favor of paying Gordon what he's demanding. NOT ONE VOTE. Shocking, positively, shocking...

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

23 votes and 16 say to send him packing. The RB position just ain't what it used to be Dorothy...........

Trade him for Trent Williams and let's see what the waiver wire brings..........

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

MG/Lamp for Williams/Guice

Convert Tevi to OG

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                      Pretty much retired......
                      • Sep 2018
                      • JoJa
                      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      MG/Lamp for Williams/Guice

Convert Tevi to OG
                      That is a fine idea right there.........

Comment

• chargerkdb
                        Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                        • Send PM

Last edited by chargerkdb; 07-16-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• charger1993
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

I like melvin, i liked him coming out of college. But Joey is about to want a new contract so i gotta ask myself do i want joey bosa or melvin gordon??? I rather have the extra money to keep joey.

Comment

Working...
                          X