POLL: What should the Bolts do with Gordon?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: What should the Bolts do with Gordon?

Okay folks, time to weigh in on the Gordon situation. What should the Chargers management do with him?
    Pay the man! Gordon is one of the top RB's in the game! $13-$15 mil? Done!
    3.45%
    If he wants to hold out, fine! Let him sit until week 10 and get fined!
    22.41%
    Time to cut our losses. Trade him for draft picks and/or a player we can use!
    68.97%
    Other--see my answer
    5.17%
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

32 millions, 4 years
    Take it or leave it

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Tijuana
      • Send PM

Would it be so terrible if Gordon comes back for the stretch run (final 6 games of the regular season) and the playoffs with fresh legs?, after that let him go (get a third round comp pick) and draft a RB in the middle rounds

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        32 millions, 4 years
        Take it or leave it
        All about respect.
        Melvin's agent says to ask nicely...
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• bartman83642
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

I think they should try to meet him somewhere between his asking price and median contract prices for similar players but throw in some good incentives for him earn some more.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post
            I think they should try to meet him somewhere between his asking price and median contract prices for similar players but throw in some good incentives for him earn some more.
            Sets a dangerous precedent...he needs to honor his contract.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
              Would it be so terrible if Gordon comes back for the stretch run (final 6 games of the regular season) and the playoffs with fresh legs?, after that let him go (get a third round comp pick) and draft a RB in the middle rounds
              Imagine the reaction of his teammates: "Nice of you to join us, Mel...we do the heavy lifting and you just drop by now towards the end of the season..."
              GORDON: But I'm not getting paid what I deserve! I want more money!
              TEAMMATES: A LOT of us want more money! That's life! Now, quit yer whining, and be a man like the rest of us and first finish your contract! Then, u can cry all u want about how much money yer worth!

Locker room cancer...
              Last edited by Topcat; 07-15-2019, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

He doesn't get paid if he sits out those 10 weeks, right?
                Be good to get him back fresh for a title run.
                Then let him walk.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

For me, Gordon has never been a "WOW" player. The kind of guy whose jersey I would want to own. Yes he is talented and serviceable but is he worth 13 mil per or even 10? Sadly IMHO the conclusion is no. I look at two prime examples of RB value that can be found. Conner in Pitt was a 3rd rounder. Lindsay, the second best back in the AFC west was a free agent. Hell even our backups are a 7th rounder and 2 free agents with a camp contender that is a free agent. Even if they wait and pluck somebody off of the waiver wire, I do not see us being Melvinless as detrimental.

And yes.....his timing still pisses me off........

Comment

• Blue Thunder
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Arlington, TX
                    • Send PM

Trade him now prior to training camp for either a 2020 2nd and a conditional 2021 5th/6th based on his performance with his new team.

Or trade him for a 2020 3rd and an veteran OL who still has some tread on his tires and can come in and help mentor these young OLs that we have. Positional flexibility along the line for our new veteran OL player/coach would be a nice added bonus, if possible.

Either way, I think Gordon needs to go now in order to get the negativity of this situation behind us and to allow us to reset and start fresh. We need all Chargers to be 100 percent committed to this team and to each other in order to go get that Lombardi trophy.

The problem we may run into is that we might not be able to find another team as a trading partner that is willing to pay Gordon an amount that he deems acceptable either. 13-15 M a year, especially on a multi-year contract is a pipe dream.

I think he would need to come down to the 10M/year range to make things work. Maybe 4yr/40M with 20M to 25M guaranteed. There's no way that the Chargers will be able to pay that, but someone else might trade for him under those conditions. All it takes is one interested team.
                    Last edited by Blue Thunder; 07-15-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post
                      Trade him now prior to training camp for either a 2020 2nd and a conditional 2021 5th/6th based on his performance with his new team.

Or trade him for a 2020 3rd and an veteran OL who still has some tread on his tires and can come in and help mentor these young OLs that we have. Positional flexibility along the line for our new veteran OL player/coach would be a nice added bonus, if possible.

Either way, I think Gordon needs to go now in order to get the negativity of this situation behind us and to allow us to reset and start fresh. We need all Chargers to be 100 percent committed to this team and to each other in order to go get that Lombardi trophy.

The problem we may run into is that we might not be able to find another team as a trading partner that is willing to pay Gordon an amount that he deems acceptable either. 13-15 M a year, especially on a multi-year contract is a pipe dream.

I think he would need to come down to the 10M/year range to make things work. Maybe 4yr/40M with 20M to 25M guaranteed. There's no way that the Chargers will be able to pay that, but someone else might trade for him under those conditions. All it takes is one interested team.
                      I'm still not in favor of management caving to a player, on a rookie deal, or any other contract. Cave once, it opens up the floodgates for many more. Then your cap room will REALLY get squeezed, then you don't have a reserve to re-sign the players who have been patiently playing out their contracts and looking forward to a nice raise on their second deal (Bosa, Derwin, etc.) Caving sets the stage for future team dissension. Now, if MANAGEMENT chooses to extend a player's current contract, that's fine. But it can't come from a player, threatening to hold out, or it creates locker room cancer...

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

What us fans would do and what TT will do are likely very different. I'm guessing TT would love to extend him but can't come close to what he wants due to salary cap constraints which is where the disrespect comment comes in. We don't know how far apart they really are and how close the team is to the highest they will go. Until he actually starts missing camp it is all just saber rattling. I am guessing the team will make their best offer (if they haven't) and let him sit. I don't think the market is high for RB and unless a contending team has a RB suffer a major injury in camp, it will be up to Gordon on how long he sits. He may report when he has to or emulate Bell and hold out the entire year. Either way I suspect we'd better be prepared for his absence.

Comment

Working...
                        X